Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:56 PM

163 posts, read 418,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Artemis--haven't been on this site in awhile---the one on Ridge Rd. (It was pretty borderline 20 some years ago--just doesn't seem like a place a lone female, driving a nice car, should be visiting now. Would love to hear differently.)
I live in Hammond and drive down Ridge Road often. I drive past the cemetary and don't see any reason to be overly concerned. Now, I wouldn't go to any cemetary alone at night in any city. Lock your car and take a look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepDeandre View Post

Why is there so much hate and fear and worry? I see it on here. Most of you wouldn't dare think of going on one of these streets up here and talk about what you are posting here. Are you scared your going to get shot? Robbed? Stabbed? Raped? Beaten? Laughed at? Killed? Scared that some low life stupid and slick talking dope dealer is gonna try to get you to buy his drugs? Those things are going on in high schools now!
I've given people directions on how to get back to I-65 South, because they were lost in Gary and was scared. But it's funny, I feel the same way when I get lost in Hobart or Crown Point. You wanna make walls and boundaries, and keep us out.

This is one of the best comments I've seen in these posts!!!! I love the beautiful city of Gary, IN. Sure it's sad about some of the things that has happened to it, but us residents/past residents have a love for our city like non other. I have lived in different places for a lot of years, but Gary is my HOME. Gary does have a problem with employment, I agree, that has been going on for a long time. Being an ex-employee of one of the "big mills" in the area, you cannot depend on them to keep you employed until retirement, so we have to seek employment in other areas, and YES I agree, we cannot get hired in some places outside our community (and even sometimes IN our community) I received a good education (West Side c/o 87) in the Gary Public Schools, which I am proud of. I have lifelong friends, and family in Gary, and none of them are gang bangers, drug addicts, or whatever most outside of Gary think resides here. I agree also, I'm MORE afraid of driving through areas outside of Gary. What people in the surrounding areas outside of Gary need to realize is if you don't go looking for trouble, you won't find it. You won't get mugged, raped, attacked, or whatever the hell outsiders think just because you're in Gary. A lot of the drug addicts I see come from Valpo, Hebron, Lake Station, Crown Point, etc. Since we're so drug ridden here in Gary, when you come visit us from the surrounding areas like those mentioned, leave your dope at the city limits. Wouldn't want to make us look any worse, now would you? Regardless of where I reside, "G.I." is always home.

Last edited by G.I.4Life; 06-25-2007 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Gary should focus on trying to attract some back-office operations of major Loop companies.

I used to live in the area in the early 90's and even then I felt the city was starting to turn a corner. However, it really is a case of 2 steps forward, 1.99 steps back. Relying on government jobs, the Democratic Party, and assistance programs has done a job on the place.

The key is for the African-American community to fight the social ills of drugs and violence. A culture of dependency has sapped much of Gary of even an ounce of entrepreneurial drive.

Despite its problems though, I think somehow it will manage to mount a cmeback. And not just Miller.

Too bad the Jackson family never bothered to invest in their hometown.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 PM

This is the sort of thing that will save Gary. Not waiting for the government to do it for you.

Business owner urges residents to invest in Gary

June 29, 2007
By Jon Seidel Post-Tribune staff writer

GARY -- If no one else will invest in Gary, local businessman Will Wilson Jr. believes, it's up to its people to rebuild Northwest Indiana's largest city.

That's why Wilson has opened a bank account and set up a for-profit private company called Unity in the Community.

And now he's asking people to invest.

"It looks like the city is looking for a political messiah to bring it back," Wilson said. "I just thought we should do it ourselves."

Wilson's plan is to pool the financial resources of Gary's citizens and use that money to open new retail stores and businesses where larger companies have, so far, been reluctant to invest.

As he sees it, Gary residents can buy ownership in the company with their investment. Anyone who invests will have access to all financial records, Wilson said, so people know how their money is being spent.

"We'll open books," Wilson said. "We're not even going to play that game."

Annual reports will be posted on the Internet, he said, and a board of directors will be chosen.

The money that is raised will be used to open new shops in the city. Wilson said he suspects Gary residents will be much more likely to patronize a business they have invested in.

And, as the business thrives, residents will get a return on their investment.

"It's not rocket science," Wilson said.

A public meeting will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Gary Public Library on 5th Avenue where Wilson plans to explain all of this directly to people who are interested.

"We're trying to double people's money," Wilson said.

Lake County Recorder Mike Brown is among those planning to attend.

Brown, a Gary resident, said he is interested in helping his community, but he'd rather Wilson approach his business as a not-for-profit.

"I definitely don't want to work with a for-profit," Brown said.
THAT's THE PROBLEM!!!

Wilson said he chose to run his business privately, as a for-profit entity, so he won't have to deal with government red-tape.

"The government regulates it so much," Wilson said.

Bert Scott, associate dean of the business school at Indiana University Northwest, said Wilson's business model has a chance.

Unity in the Community, Scott said, might have more flexibility as a private venture.

"They can often do something out of the public eye that they might not be able to do as a public firm," Scott said.

However, Scott said, the success will likely depend on the integrity of its owners, and primarily of Wilson.

"It's very important that the management of the firm be very ethical and forward," Scott said.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Best of luck to him!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,631 times
Default Join The Revitalization Movement

Greetings Believers;

What can it be!!! A galvanizing enough project that could spark current and former Gary residents and family members locally and nationally to consider investing in a community economic development effort that can be replicated in other urban/inner cities.

Urban Development Consultants is seeking individuals with vision who can see and want to engage in a Community Economic Development movement, especially those persons who have ties to Gary's Roosevelt High School, an institution that has a reputation and legacy that should not be foresaken - should not be forgotten are there enough former Gary Citizen's who are willing to look back and possibly become apart of a revitalization movement?

This movement should involve - Commercial/Retail development targeted from 11th to 25th and down 25th Avenue to Grant Street, this movement should involve - the rebirth of Roosevelt High School, into an academic place of excellence. Why can't we remake a neighborhood utilizing the creation of a private and/or Charter School for Entrepreneurship and Urban Planning? Could we not start this movement as a catalyst to build a replicable and strong field of membership for a National Federal Credit Union with a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) designation? - The Gary Student/Alumni Community Development Credit Union is what we envision.

I invite you to please take the time to view the You Tube Video File.

Here is the website to the Historic Gary Midtown video file, YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Then select "VIDEO" (if video is not seen) OR, type "midtown the central
district" in the search box.

For further information, please contact me and I welcome your feedback.

ANNOUNCEMENT: AUGUST 8TH THROUGH 11TH THE APA - AMERICAN PLANNERS ASSOCIATION - THE BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD DIVISION WILL HAVE IT'S ANNUAL CONFERENCE IN - GARY, INDIANA!!!

JIHAD T. MUHAMMAD
PRESIDENT
URBAN DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANTS

"Work toward building a Replicable Model for Community Economic Development"

219.201-4132

Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,631 times
Default Join The Revitalization Movement!!!

Greetings Believers;

What can it be!!! A galvanizing enough project that could spark current and former Gary residents and family members locally and nationally to consider investing in a community economic development effort that can be replicated in other urban/inner cities.

Urban Development Consultants is seeking individuals with vision who can see and want to engage in a Community Economic Development movement, especially those persons who have ties to Gary's Roosevelt High School, an institution that has a reputation and legacy that should not be foresaken - should not be forgotten are there enough former Gary Citizen's who are willing to look back and possibly become apart of a revitalization movement?

This movement should involve - Commercial/Retail development targeted from 11th to 25th and down 25th Avenue to Grant Street, this movement should involve - the rebirth of Roosevelt High School, into an academic place of excellence. Why can't we remake a neighborhood utilizing the creation of a private and/or Charter School for Entrepreneurship and Urban Planning? Could we not start this movement as a catalyst to build a replicable and strong field of membership for a National Federal Credit Union with a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) designation? - The Gary Student/Alumni Community Development Credit Union is what we envision.

I invite you to please take the time to view the You Tube Video File.

Here is the website to the Historic Gary Midtown video file, YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Then select "VIDEO" (if video is not seen) OR, type "midtown the central
district" in the search box.

For further information, please contact me and I welcome your feedback.

ANNOUNCEMENT: AUGUST 8TH THROUGH 11TH THE APA - AMERICAN PLANNERS ASSOCIATION - THE BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD DIVISION WILL HAVE IT'S ANNUAL CONFERENCE IN - GARY, INDIANA!!!

JIHAD T. MUHAMMAD
PRESIDENT

"Work toward building a Replicable Model for Community Economic Development"

219.201-4132

Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLUB1 View Post

JIHAD T. MUHAMMAD
PRESIDENT
Is this a serious contact name??

"Durka durka durka. Muhammad Jihad."

Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Yes, he's a prof. at IU-Northwest.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Hate to say it, but at this point, the last thing Gary needs is for their redevelopment efforts to be led by a guy named Jihad Muhamed (and no offense intended Mr. Muhammad.)

Why not change your name to something of African, as opposed to Arabic origin???

Heck, even a Chinese or Mayan name might help your cause.

Jihad just doesn't have a very nice ring to it.........

But, I do wish you the best of luck in helping to encourage entrepreneurship in Gary....that is as long as women will have equal opportunity to participate, along with Christians, Jews, Hindus, Atheists...etc....

Mohammed you know, wasn't too keen on non-believers and women holding equal status. Hope you are more evolved than he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana