Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,375,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Still if Lake county wants to be treated with respect from the state can the corruption. I can say this on behalf of everywhere else in Indiana.
Elect a few Republicans to office and watch how fast opinions about NWI change.
Not asking to vote solid Republican just as someone with half a brain should research each Canidate see what they will do give them a chance and judge them on action.
This idea that Republicans are Instantly evil cause of the R beside's their name just shows how stupid some people are.
I am a conservative but i don't vote solid Republican i vote for whoever best represents us and doesn't spew out crap in Washington.
Case By Case is what i like to call it
As were going to see in Gary this Mayoral Election Republicans aren't going to try running for Mayor due to the huge kickbacks the democrats give the Unions at the Steel Mills in Gary.
Just like chicago/Detroit/Gary when you elect democrats nonstop for 80 years your going to run into economic problems.

The Time of living in LaLa land is over Gary needs to wake up to Reality or face Economic Collasp.
I don't believe you are old enough to vote.

And NO, you may not speak for me or the rest of the state: not today, not tomorrow, not ever--thank you very much.

The truth is most residents of the state don't care what Lake County does or doesn't do. Lake County is historically and culturally different from much of the state. The state govt. in Indy only cares because of the taxes generated-past and present--in Lake County.

BTW--a little history for you--those 1% property tax caps you are so fond of mentioning--thank Lake County for that. The court case that started property tax reform in the state began in Lake County.

Republicans like Charlie White? Republicans like Richard Nixon? Like Oliver North? No corruption there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 10,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
If you want to go and learn what not to do, go and try to intern for the City of Gary. It's an inept government, nepotism friendly regardless of whether or not the person can actually do the job and highly mismanaged. Starting a business in the city is highly difficult due to the amount of red tape and "personal" loopholes interested parties have to jump through when dealing with city employees who they will not fire.
While that might be true, I still think the city/its decay is fascinating. Also, if the bar is already set so low, there's a lot of room for improvement.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:10 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,523,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

And NO, you may not speak for me or the rest of the state: not today, not tomorrow, not ever--thank you very much.

The truth is most residents of the state don't care what Lake County does or doesn't do. Lake County is historically and culturally different from much of the state. The state govt. in Indy only cares because of the taxes generated-past and present--in Lake County.

BTW--a little history for you--those 1% property tax caps you are so fond of mentioning--thank Lake County for that. The court case that started property tax reform in the state began in Lake County.

Republicans like Charlie White? Republicans like Richard Nixon? Like Oliver North? No corruption there?
Someone read me completely wrong.
Did i say vote solid republican? no
i said have an open mind.
Lake County politically has issues with open mindness.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:59 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,157,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

More people care than you think rah, esp. the more conscious tax payers. Seeing as how LC refuses to implement its optional county tax, there are a LOT of hoosiers that fume at the fact LC keeps running to the taxpayers of Indiana to foot the bill their tax should be taking care of like the remaining 91 counties. Case in point, Indianapolis went to the state for a referendum just so the taxpayers can vote on whether or not to implement a tax to expand public transportation. The powers that be arent asking for money. The RBA of Lake/Porter counties are going to the state ASKING for money since the money the state already allotted them will run dry early next year and outside of Gary and East Chicago (didn't fold their bus systems into RBA), public transportation will become null and void in Lake County. More people pay attention to things like this more than you care to believe.

Yes the original suit originated from LC due to Gary's Miller Beach residents being straight gouged, 2 1/2 - 3 times the property tax than they should have been paying. The tax caps itself was a change in the Indiana constitution from ALL hoosiers who voted for it. It wasn't just a LC thing. That 1% cap is killing our schools and yes hoosiers knew it would, but didn't care nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana