Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,885 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding me? The town is going down and fast. The property values are down, the taxes are up and what you get there is nothing. The only positive thing is highway access. Actually, most of northwest Indiana is going down. The percentage of unemployed is constantly going up and the area doesn't offer much other then lower taxes then Illinois. If you are considering a move to this outdated area (northwest Indiana) at least get out to Cedar Lake or Winfield or Crown Point, these may be the only cities worth a serious look. If you look around all you see is old cars and obese people, it is really sad because 40 years ago Highland and Munster were fabulous places to live. Personally, I wouldn't invest a dime in anything here. I have always lost money on any real estate investment made here and made money in IL regardless of the tax structure. Hey it's your money!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by region rat 1971 View Post
Are you kidding me? The town is going down and fast. The property values are down, the taxes are up and what you get there is nothing. The only positive thing is highway access. Actually, most of northwest Indiana is going down. The percentage of unemployed is constantly going up and the area doesn't offer much other then lower taxes then Illinois. If you are considering a move to this outdated area (northwest Indiana) at least get out to Cedar Lake or Winfield or Crown Point, these may be the only cities worth a serious look. If you look around all you see is old cars and obese people, it is really sad because 40 years ago Highland and Munster were fabulous places to live. Personally, I wouldn't invest a dime in anything here. I have always lost money on any real estate investment made here and made money in IL regardless of the tax structure. Hey it's your money!
And why are you telling us this?
Not every opinion is worth sharing.
Also whats nice to you may not be nice to me and so on.
Plus making more money in the land of Illness and Corruption? haha the taxes there will destroy any incentive to invest there.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,700 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing hun. I'm up in equity about 35% since I bought my distressed home in Schererville 3.5 years ago compared to a recent assessment. Not a bad deal so far and I don't anticipate housing prices dropping significantly in the near future. Maybe you're just bad at investing in real estate in NWI?

I don't really want to spend a whole lot of time responding to every one of the nonsensical arguments in your post. However, I would say that you stating that CP Winfield and Cedar Lake are the only areas worth looking at does nothing more than show your ignorance of Northwest Indiana. Wait, maybe that's why you've lost money investing in this area. Might want to learn a few things before investing.

I'll send you my invoice for investment advice in the mail shortly...

Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,495,397 times
Quote:
Highland's population is stable and is bringing in solid businesses everyday (GMC/Buick just moved back to Highland from Schererville...Toyota left but VW is moving in its place) and Highland Grove has attracted retailers that are opening their first locations in NWI. Munster is not only attracting solid and high end businesses but it has the one of the highest average family income in all of NWI and THE highest out of areas with 10,000+ population. The schools are still top notch too. Investing in property in Munster is great because it is a mature suburb and the neighborhoods are very stable. Winfield is nice but there are several subdivisions in that area that are unfinished and having other issues and the same in CP.

Let me guess, if you live "south of 30" then you are automatically safe, right? Tell that to residents in south Merrillville/North CP and see how THEIR property values are currently doing being zoned to Merrillville schools especially. CP schools are good as are Munster and LC...Cedar Lake? Not bad but also not a place that people are attracted to for "good schools".

Remember...The southern borders of Munster and Highland are Main St/E 53rd Ave and the northern most border of Merrillville is 52nd Pl and not a desirable area at all...people thought Merrillville would be "worth a serious look" compared to Munster and Highland...and look now...Munster and Highland still desirable....Merrillville which is "further south"? No AND its issues are pushing further south while areas like Munster, Highland, Dyer, Schererville, and Saint John remain desirable.

maybe you should do some research before you post ignorant statements.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 11-20-2012 at 08:50 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM

117 posts, read 333,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Highland's population is stable and is bringing in solid businesses everyday (GMC/Buick just moved back to Highland from Schererville...Toyota left but VW is moving in its place) and Highland Grove has attracted retailers that are opening their first locations in NWI. Munster is not only attracting solid and high end businesses but it has the one of the highest average family income in all of NWI and THE highest out of areas with 10,000+ population. The schools are still top notch too. Investing in property in Munster is great because it is a mature suburb and the neighborhoods are very stable. Winfield is nice but there are several subdivisions in that area that are unfinished and having other issues and the same in CP.

Let me guess, if you live "south of 30" then you are automatically safe, right? Tell that to residents in south Merrillville/North CP and see how THEIR property values are currently doing being zoned to Merrillville schools especially. CP schools are good as are Munster and LC...Cedar Lake? Not bad but also not a place that people are attracted to for "good schools".

Remember...The southern borders of Munster and Highland are Main St/E 53rd Ave and the northern most border of Merrillville is 52nd Pl and not a desirable area at all...people thought Merrillville would be "worth a serious look" compared to Munster and Highland...and look now...Munster and Highland still desirable....Merrillville which is "further south"? No AND its issues are pushing further south while areas like Munster, Highland, Dyer, Schererville, and Saint John remain desirable.

maybe you should do some research before you post ignorant statements.

I wouldn't call any of the towns that you mentioned desirable or upwardly mobile communities. I mean they are decent working class / median income neighborhoods. None of these towns have shown any serious property value appreciation over recent decades. Even when the housing market was on fire and property values pretty much doubled everywhere else. The median home price for homes in the towns that you mentioned seriously lagged the rest of the chicago suburban housing market. And even with the extremely low property taxes these towns have some of the cheapest homes out of any middle income area within a similar distance to chicago. Now I will say you get plenty of bang for your buck out that way.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
I wouldn't call any of the towns that you mentioned desirable or upwardly mobile communities. I mean they are decent working class / median income neighborhoods. None of these towns have shown any serious property value appreciation over recent decades. Even when the housing market was on fire and property values pretty much doubled everywhere else. The median home price for homes in the towns that you mentioned seriously lagged the rest of the chicago suburban housing market. And even with the extremely low property taxes these towns have some of the cheapest homes out of any middle income area within a similar distance to chicago. Now I will say you get plenty of bang for your buck out that way.
"Working class" areas do not have average annual family incomes of over $100,000 so no, Munster is not working class at all. And what are you even talking about in regarding to house values? You have absolutely no basis to state that there have been no serious appreciation over recent DECADES. Show us where the values "seriously lagged the rest of the chicago suburban housing market" and make sure to show places that are generally interchangeable demographically. You are just speaking just to make noise and you make zero sense as you have shown in previous posts on the threads in this forum...still skeptical about Chipotle in Munster now? LOL! Here, I'll give you more to be skeptical about:

1. VW coming to Highland
2. Newly cleared land for development in Highland on the NWC on Main St & US 41
3. Jersey Mike's opening in Schererville
4. Albert's Jewelers in Schererville expanding by 9,000 sq ft.
5. Homes in Munster's Park West being built rapidly and selling well over $1,000,000
6. Lots in White Oak Estates (in Munster and Highland), Twin Creek, Cobblestones, Estates of White Oak, West Lakes, AND in the older sections of town being developed with upscale homes going from $500,000+ or current homes being upgraded
7. Homes being built in Seberger Farms in Highland
8. Strack & Van Til upgrading their Corporate headquarters in Highland
9. Development of Munster's Lake Business Center
10. Solid/Excellent schools

You lose credibility everytime you post.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Oh my . With all due respect, you cannot seriously be saying that St. John, Dyer, Schererville, and Munster are "working class / median income neighborhoods." Here's some examples from our very own city-data.com

St. John: Estimated median household income in 2009: $88,843 (it was $71,378 in 2000)

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/St.-Jo...#ixzz2CphLAcaG

Dyer: Estimated median household income in 2009: $75,182 (it was $63,045 in 2000)

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Dyer-I...#ixzz2CphRJDpk

I'd hardly call that "working class".

Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
"Working class" areas do not have average annual family incomes of over $100,000 so no, Munster is not working class at all. And what are you even talking about in regarding to house values? You have absolutely no basis to state that there have been no serious appreciation over recent DECADES. Show us where the values "seriously lagged the rest of the chicago suburban housing market" and make sure to show places that are generally interchangeable demographically. You are just speaking just to make noise and you make zero sense as you have shown in previous posts on the threads in this forum...still skeptical about Chipotle in Munster now? LOL! Here, I'll give you more to be skeptical about:

1. VW coming to Highland
5. Homes in Munster's Park West being built rapidly and selling well over $1,000,000
6. Lots in White Oak Estates (in Munster and Highland), Twin Creek, Cobblestones, Estates of White Oak, West Lakes, AND in the older sections of town being developed with upscale homes going from $500,000+ or current homes being upgraded

And this as well.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 PM

117 posts, read 333,221 times
Quote:

1. VW coming to Highland

I needed a good laugh. Because the recent accomplishments you mentioned for the area are a total joke. I guess volkwagen replacing an already existing toyota dealer is something. But Jersey Mikes opening a sub sandwich shop is big news for Schererville? Just like a new Mcdonalds opening in Munster was noteworthy also I guess. Big deal. Besides you mentioning the schools. Which are hit and miss in most of those towns you mentioned like anywhere else by the way. It's all small potatoe, non progressive local town stuff. Which signifies very little positive growth. The area overall is mediocre at best in almost every way. And don't compare to the way more progressive communities in illinois. Even local Illinois south-southwest suburbs like Frankfort and Flossmoor have a much more upwardly mobile demographic then say Munster or Schererville has. And there are better local establishments in suburbs close to dyer or munster like Homewood. Munster will never have a downtown as nice as homewood's.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I needed a good laugh. Because the recent accomplishments you mentioned for the area are a total joke. I guess volkwagen replacing an already existing toyota dealer is something. But Jersey Mikes opening a sub sandwich shop is big news for Schererville? Just like a new Mcdonalds opening in Munster was noteworthy also I guess. Big deal. Besides you mentioning the schools. Which are hit and miss in most of those towns you mentioned like anywhere else by the way. It's all small potatoe, non progressive local town stuff. Which signifies very little positive growth. The area overall is mediocre at best in almost every way. And don't compare to the way more progressive communities in illinois. Even local Illinois south-southwest suburbs like Frankfort and Flossmoor have a much more upwardly mobile demographic then say Munster or Schererville has. And there are better local establishments in suburbs close to dyer or munster like Homewood. Munster will never have a downtown as nice as homewood's.
I was giving examples of places that were opening that are new to the area and filling up vacancies. Munster never had a true downtown like Homewood's and Homewood's downtown is great also due to the fact that it has metra going through. You may think the nwi area is mediocre and thats fine, but then tell me why places like Flossmoor and Olympia Fields are having such a rough time attracting high end tenants to the area? As "upwardly mobile" and Flossmoor and Frankfort are, there should be places like Whole Foods and Trader Joes already such as places in the North Shore (that Flossmoor residents LOVE to compare themselves to) take for granted. Schools in Homewood and Flossmoor are not as highly regarded as they used to be and the main people who think they are highly regarded are comparing them to surrounding districts which are more than a "hit or miss" they downright suck compared to most nwi districts. Schools in Frankfort are great but so are the schools in Munster, Schererville, Dyer, Saint John, CP. Highland is better than schools in the south burbs save MAYBE H-F High School.

You want more progressive? How about Three Floyds Brewery in Munster which is known WORLDWIDE and well regarded? It is "local" but it is also "Progressive" but much better than Flossmoor Station Brewing Company. Tell me how well that new "progressive" downtown town center is doing in Flossmoor? Oh, it wasn't able to attract high end tenants or any for that matter so it went nowhere. Maybe you could say the same for Schererville's Shops on Main but for a place that is so "progressive" and "upwardly mobile" that development should not be a problem at all getting off the ground. Check the residential real estate. More upscale homes (for a higher price) in Munster than in Schererville and then when you look at comparable homes, they typically are priced HIGHER than in Flossmoor AND with much lower taxes.

If Flossmoor was so upwardly mobile, they wouldn't be complaining about retail redlining then lol. Olympia Fields couldn't even keep the Jewel Osco store location and although the income there is relatively high and some homes are nice, it is not nearly as exclusive as an area as it once was (same for Flossmoor and Homewood was never exclusive) and the schools suck.

The problem is people THINK that Flossmoor deserves to have places that other towns like those on the North Shore or places like Hinsdale and Naperville have and they are let down because developers see the poor long-term investment that may occur in a place like Flossmoor. And you get upset and cry in news articles about the "unjust treatment" the south suburbs gets. At least in NWI we stay within reason in developments that we seek. And if one passes, we don't cry about it.

Again, you are just talking to talk s**t and you lost credibility a long time ago. I can only think of a couple posters who may agree with you and one of them hasn't posted since May and it's probably because you are just a reincarnation of that poster since that poster shot their credibility into the ground long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana