Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you most prefer to see new upscale lifestyle shopping center in?
Munster 5 41.67%
Schererville 2 16.67%
Dyer 0 0%
St. John 1 8.33%
Crown Point 2 16.67%
None 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 PM

2,158 posts, read 5,502,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood~Fox View Post
These are a lot of new shopping centers. You know, Lynwood,IL has plans for a large big box shopping center on the corner of Glenwood Dyer and Torrence along with many others once the Joe Orr Rd project is complete.
The "Highland Grove" center already exists. It is where Kohls, Dick's SPorting Goods, Target, etc. are located. The other two were supposed to already be constructed but due to the economy, have not been built yet. They were suppsoed to offer high-end shopping. Hopefully if the Main Street/Joe Orr extension is completed, Lynwood could finally get that downtown they always wanted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 05:00 PM

13 posts, read 16,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The "Highland Grove" center already exists. It is where Kohls, Dick's SPorting Goods, Target, etc. are located. The other two were supposed to already be constructed but due to the economy, have not been built yet. They were suppsoed to offer high-end shopping. Hopefully if the Main Street/Joe Orr extension is completed, Lynwood could finally get that downtown they always wanted!
I live in Lynwood and our mayor is really looking forward to this project. He even mailed out maps of the project that showed where the proposed shopping centers will be. They look HUGE! Not those little strip malls you see in Dyer, but Huge big box centers along with a downtown.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM

Default Update!

Well this project has officially begun! VERY glad for this!

Town Council OKs financing agreement for Munster Shops

Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Default Update!

This update is about a commercial property proposal. Not really shopping, but probably a restaurant. This site is where the McDonald's is so my guess is tha either a new much nicer building will house McDonalds or perhaps, even a new restaurant?! We shall find out soon!

Munster planners, BZA ponder commercial proposal Tuesday

Also, for those who have not been in the area recently, the Calumet Avenue project in Munster has just been completed! No more waiting for cars to turn!! Constant middle lane from Fisher Street to the tracks at 45th!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Exclamation Update!

There is a slight obstacle in this project. However I still have hope that things will begin soon.

Munster Shops groundbreaking postponed again

Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 AM

811 posts, read 2,340,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
There is a slight obstacle in this project. However I still have hope that things will begin soon.

Munster Shops groundbreaking postponed again
Yeah, when I read this article this morning I was a bit surprised. In an environment where investors are gobbling up bonds, I'm not sure why they couldn't garner up enough interest in these bonds without having to raise the yield.

Nonetheless, I think this project will get done eventually, it's just a matter of time. It'll be good for Munster, because right now I feel like the stretch of Calumet Ave. north of Ridge needs to be cleaned up. I get the "getting close to Hammond" feel when I head that way.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 AM

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Yeah, when I read this article this morning I was a bit surprised. In an environment where investors are gobbling up bonds, I'm not sure why they couldn't garner up enough interest in these bonds without having to raise the yield.

Nonetheless, I think this project will get done eventually, it's just a matter of time. It'll be good for Munster, because right now I feel like the stretch of Calumet Ave. north of Ridge needs to be cleaned up. I get the "getting close to Hammond" feel when I head that way.
I definitely DEFINITELY agree with you! Some people may blast me for this, but it certainly feels like some of the buildings on that stretch (like Johnny's tap, etc.) are catching a case of Hammonditis! Specifcally with the lack of maintainance of the brick paving next to the sidewalk (as well the buildings themselves)...the area needs AT LEAST some serious landscaping overhaul! As Munster continues to develop, I can see even more RE-development going on. This is a very good sign. It is pretty much the only mature town in the region that is seeing big redevelopment (mainly residential infill) as of now. Highland has done a good job with their downtown (business wise) but should now focus on infill development in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding their downtown.

Overall, I am looking forward to this development as well as future redevelopment of current sites in town (as well as the whole region).

Old 10-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Thumbs up Update!

This is very good news. This project took a step back, but now has taken a leap forward! Should start soon!

Munster Shops financing re-energized?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:58 AM

Default Oak Street Commons

This is the first I've heard in a while about this development. Still is on the table and the developer (Precision) is bringing adjusted plans to the Schererville Planning Commision...here is the article:

S'ville project still on the table

As for the other project, Shops of Main...as of now, that is officially dead as the developer has not renewed any of their approvals...that developer is Bruce Boyer and he is now concentrating on the Munster Shops development.

It is unfortunate because while the Oak Street development has always been vacant land, the Shops on Main area used to be Schererville Golf & Fun Center which was demolished..

Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Default Update of the year

Construction of "Munster Shops" has officially begun! Take a drive by it on Calumet Avenue and see for yourselves! Very exciting news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana