Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,000,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaarenoc View Post
I was born in Beaver but grew up in Portsmouth and the Orphanage in Waverly.
I haven't been back in 40 years. I just wonder how Beaver and Waverly have changed?

Zaarenoc
Waverly has grown in my opinion has developed south toward Piketon on Rt.23 with fast food,a Dakotas steakhouse,hotel,walmart...whooppie... & is clean.They built new schools tore down the old highschool but the football field and gym are still there.Schmitts ? i believe it was called that made ice cream and had good food is gone as is the dairy bar next door. Mills Pride is a big employer that i believe is going out of business if they cant find a buyer thats off of Rt23-220... huge plant.Worked in Waverly-Chillicothe years ago and love the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,000,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan2011 View Post
I'm only 17, and i hate this town. Its nothing but drugs and crap like that. I serioulsy cant stand it here. There is nothing for kids to do.. Nothing at all And its pathetic. And the gov't. Dont even get me started on taht. and im going to be a voting citizen.. Wow thats gonna be a toughie considering how much i hate our gov't. Im just sick of htis town and once i graduate im OUT of here!
I will agree that there is not much to do here we had Dreamland pool...so what would you and your friends like to see changed ? We were talking the other day about this and some of these guys have some big pockets so speak up and i will see what i can do.When we were young[before playstation] we made our own fun going to the river and fish with a big driftwood fire,swim at all the local motel-hotels in the summer till the management run us off,target practice and hunt but guns are so taboo now? We also went to the forest and cruised the roads... go to Copperhead fire tower & hike the hills or camp out overnight[which was prohibited].Also we played baseball in the morning before it got hot the ball would get all wet from the morning dew. Instead of about it do something to create change...

Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,683 times
i agree,scioto county might have beat the **** out of me but that just made me stronger and made me who i am today,some people wish they wouldve never grew up there but im happy i did because id rather live there then were i do now (lawerence county)because id rather live in a place with domestic violence then in a place where although your safe from most violence theres no possible way you can have the same experiences here as you do there simply because the people dont look at things the same,I would trade this life in a second to get my old one back so hell yea im proud of where im from

Old 05-28-2011, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,547 times
I'm a college student from the Philippines. And I will be going to Shawnee State University in a few months for an exchange program. I'll only be staying in Portsmouth for the Fall term. And this forum makes me want to stay home. HAHA.

But then again, I've seen worse in the Philippines. So I might as well enjoy this town for what it has to offer.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,303 times
Default Response to Portsmouth information...

I know that all of you are speaking either from first-hand, second-hand, or media-based information when you talk about the negative issues in Portsmouth, Ohio. That being said, currently there is a dedicated DEA and Joint Operations Task Force operating in the Scioto County area with the specific mission of Drug interdiction and prosecution. They are targeting local Doctors operating with the expired and false sense of impunity that they have enjoyed for so long at the expense of our youth. These agents are arresting patients of these doctors who are engaged in unlawful activity, offering them a deal, and getting sworn statements and full cooperation, leading to the arrest of the next size fish, and so on, and so on. This is known as actual police work, and has been absent in recent years fomr the Scioto County area.

Please don'tgive-up on Portsmouth, OH just yet. There is hope for a brighter future, one Pill Mill doctor at a time.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
That's good news, Mackeltree. The New York Times piece earlier this year was pretty damning of the narcotic addiction of the city and county, and those "pain clinics" in Ohio which should be shut down immediately (funny how doctors can prescribe endless narcotics without consequence but medical marijuana is illegal).

Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,120 times
The place still smells of corruption...

Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,947 times
I think it's sad how people who grew up in and around Portsmouth have such a negative mind-set against it. Yes, it has its problems but it's never going to get better by simply leaving or talking badly about it. If anyone ever bothered to look at the murals (as beautiful as they are) or the tops of the old buildings downtown (you can see the faded paint of the old names of the stores/buildings), they would see that Portsmouth was once a beautiful, booming town. And although it might never reach that peak again, it could be much better than it is now. But instead, people want to sit around and talk about how terrible it is. I suppose it is easier to burn, than to build, easier to hurt, than to heal. I suppose I have too much Irish in me, but I feel like the land you live on is like your mother, and that includes your community. Personally, I'm standing up for my hometown and hoping and planning for a brighter future.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,635 times
i was born in this town but adopted at birth. i would like to find my birth parents but all i know is they were college students there. so im guessing shawnee state univer. her name was patricia gillespie, (from what iv been told). ring a bell to anybody??

Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentingProjectOT View Post
Yes, it has its problems but it's never going to get better by simply leaving or talking badly about it.
nor will things improve if all that anyone does is talk or limit how other people talk. it takes actual effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio