Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 07:40 PM
on3 on3 started this thread

498 posts, read 386,098 times

Advertisements

Anyone catch the news on FL? They are much worse off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 03:22 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
OMG how did I knot no about this DeWine guy before? Amazing. I gonna write him in on ballot for President instead of sleepy Joe. He has got a chance!
Mike DeWine is a Republican and unless you can get rid of Donald Trump on the ballot, DeWine has ZERO CHANCE.

(Bold mine)

Old 07-15-2020, 03:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
DeWine caved to the pressure - typical GOP monkey boy. The only outspoken, IDGAF governors throughout this entire thing have been Inslee and Cuomo. Pritzker and Whitmer run a distant second. The rest, including DeWine, range from mediocre to ****-poor. DeSantis and Edwards have to be considered the worst.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:49 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
This is from JB Handley. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what this guy says. He's the anti-vaccine guy who also advocated, without any medical support, that autism is the result of environmental factors. His so-called clinic has been held up to public ridicule on more than one occasion. Also, given the angry political tone of this article, should anyone take him seriously?

Herd immunity is old news. Sweden has been held up by some as herd immunity model... except that, following the practice, the country has seen a spike in infections. Conservatives in the USA were All In on herd immunity back in March and was a rallying cry for states like Florida, Arizona and others... How is that working out?
And the deaths have continued to go straight down, just like they have in Ohio. Why did you leave that part out?

I've never supported Sweden's approach and my past posts reflect that. But why ignore that their deaths have gone down from over 90 a day to less than 10 a day? It's not even worth looking into why that happened? There's nothing we can learn?

Old 07-15-2020, 09:16 PM

Who's ignoring it? Death rates and infection rates usually never have a proportional relationship throughout the duration of a pandemic unless the pathogen has a very high mortality rate across all demographics. The downward trend in deaths can be attributed to more testing, the lag in results of the testing, better treatment knowledge and - probably most significantly - exactly who the virus is infecting in a given time frame. It stands to reason that, especially during the summer months, flippant younger people who believe they're invincible are going to be less cautious and become infected more than their more cautious, older counterparts. Granted, younger people are less likely to succumb to this infection but they're still very capable of spreading it. Regardless of any of these facts, it doesn't mean that the losses are any less serious to those who are experiencing them. If the infection rates were 1/2 or 1/3 of what they currently are, the death rate might very well be zero.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:56 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
All these governors that have no clue wtf they are doing need to reach out to this guy.

He just gets it. There really isn't anything more to it.

You either get it or you don't and it's very apparent which state leaders have no clue as to what they are doing.
I did not vote for the guy, but I have come to like him. He's reasonable, caring and very wise. I liked Kasich, too.

Ohio is a moderate state in a country of crazies. People can lean one way or another, but it;s seldon off the cliff.

As a more progressive person, I never once felt that either of these men were not working for ALL OHIOANS.

I love my adopted state. I love how people are generally down to earth, caring and genuine.

DeWine "gets it". I also listen to him every chance I can, when he speaks about COVID-19. He is a well informed, competent governor.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:58 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,323,411 times
^ I agree.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:06 PM

DeWine may "get it" personally, but he totally caved to the GOP hard-right. He needs to make PPE and distancing mandatory and enforceable state-wide with harsh penalties. The effort with testing and tracking needs to be tripled. It's the only way this thing is ever going to get under control. Obviously, his slack-jawed GOP brethren don't want to hear any of it and he has fallen right in line.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:54 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,984,341 times
You are saying it should be a crime to walk down a sidewalk in Ohio, alone, in the middle of summer, without a face covering? Punishable by "harsh penalties?" Do I have that right?

How did we get from 50 deaths a day in Ohio to 12 while reopening the state? Was it by having "harsh penalties" for people who don't cover their face every time they leave the house?

Old 07-16-2020, 07:14 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You are saying it should be a crime to walk down a sidewalk in Ohio, alone, in the middle of summer, without a face covering? Punishable by "harsh penalties?" Do I have that right?

How did we get from 50 deaths a day in Ohio to 12 while reopening the state? Was it by having "harsh penalties" for people who don't cover their face every time they leave the house?
You don't have the right to make others sick. Or dead.

You also do not understand how the disease works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio