Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 07:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times

Advertisements

And, as the population in the south increases, it continues to become more democratic. I'll see if you can figure out why that is. The quality of life for the average urban Ohioan could decrease another 50% before you can even compare it with the destitution of much of the southern poor. The exodus to the south was fueled by snowbirds and corporate greed. Now, the accompanying albatrosses are coming home to roost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 08:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
First off, I don't live in Ohio, but I was born and raised there. I am asking this question because, historically the candidate that wins Ohio, usually wins the election.

All the other battleground states seemed to switch, in the middle of the night, to Biden, in what a lot of people seem to think was some suspicious goings ons. Ohio was the exception.

The question I have, out of ignorance of the election laws in Ohio, is, "Are there laws or procedures in Ohio that might explain why there is no question of voter or election fraud?"

Or could it be they tried but fell short?

Does Ohio have something to teach the rest of the country?

It is my feeling that enough is not done for election security, and there should be procedures in place that eliminate any question that an election could be stolen by anyone.
My 71 year old father who is born, raised and has spent his entire life in Ohio put it to me, his Ohio born and raised college educated son who left the state for the South years ago, this way. Ohio has suffered from immense brain drain and is now more or less a state of old white people like him. He saw the hand writing on the wall years ago but in his words is surrounded by people who really believe Youngstown Sheet and Tube is coming back. GM is gonna roll out factory after factory, the pottery factories, coal mines will spring back to life, etc....

Ohio USE to be the state everyone looked to because Ohioans represented the country as a whole. Now Ohio does not look like the rest of the country. Ohio looks like what America USE to look like 50-60 years ago. As a result Ohio is fading fast in terms of its impact on national issues.

Look who Ohio voted as their Governor. Mike DeWine. DeWine's so old he remembers voting with Roosevelt to go to war against imperial Japan. He's a re-tread. Ohio is so terrified of moving forward they elected a guy who has been around the block so many times he's worn a hole in the street deeper than any pot hole on Byrnes Avenue in Toledo, Ohio.

Who ya gona vote for next Ohio? Jim Rhodes? Nahhhh feels like it's time to bring Bob Taft back.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:36 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
He's a re-tread. Ohio is so terrified of moving forward they elected a guy who has been around the block so many times he's worn a hole in the street deeper than any pot hole on Byrnes Avenue in Toledo, Ohio.

Who ya gona vote for next Ohio? Jim Rhodes? Nahhhh feels like it's time to bring Bob Taft back.

Is Byrnes Avenue the road that has patch upon patch upon patch over each pothole?

James Rhodes is the governor who got Honda to locate manufacturing facilities in Ohio.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:53 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Your assessment is spot on. I'm a transplant and I have lived here for seven years.

Although I personally do not know anyone who voted for Trump, I live in a smaller, diverse city. While I have no current plans to leave the state, we are moving from our current home within the next few years. We are empty nesters and it's too large and needs constant work and there is too much property. If we do stay in Ohio, I would totally avoid any place rural, and even some suburbs. Someplace like Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights or University Heights.

I was SHOCKED that Ohio did not vote blue. Since I've lived here, we have had two conservative governors for whom I did not vote. Despite my disagreements with both of them, I do not think of either as Trumpublicans.

If we stay in OH, it would most likely be in an urban or inner-ring suburb. If OH becomes anything like a state like Missouri or Indiana - or most southern states - we will leave.
Same here.....have lived in Ohio two years. Initially rented by Shaker Heights and loved it, but made the mistake of moving to a rural area. I had no idea it would be so conservative. Trump signs everywhere. Looking forward to selling here and moving back up by Cleveland....probably Cleveland Heights at this point. Like two different worlds.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:52 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
James Rhodes is the governor who got Honda to locate manufacturing facilities in Ohio.
Not that he was exactly perfect, but Ohio's GOP is a shell of what it was in the heyday of James Rhodes. That's likely the point, as Taft was largely inept.

A fun fact about Rhodes: The bonds floated during his era are what resulted in the state income taxes of today. This is something the southern states not already affected are about to find out. Many of them who boast no state income tax are awash in "fees" as it is; yes, I'm looking at you Florida and N. Carolina. They're too caught up on the word "tax" to realize that fees are largely non-deductible whereas local and state taxes are. Silly southern-folk...

Old 12-08-2020, 06:23 PM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Not that he was exactly perfect, but Ohio's GOP is a shell of what it was in the heyday of James Rhodes. That's likely the point, as Taft was largely inept.

A fun fact about Rhodes: The bonds floated during his era are what resulted in the state income taxes of today. This is something the southern states not already affected are about to find out. Many of them who boast no state income tax are awash in "fees" as it is; yes, I'm looking at you Florida and N. Carolina. They're too caught up on the word "tax" to realize that fees are largely non-deductible whereas local and state taxes are. Silly southern-folk...
Ohio has a very high tax burden compared to Southern and other Midwestern States. Ohio ranks 12th one spot ahead of California!

I have lived in Tennessee (ranked 48 and Florida, ranked 46) and there were no major fees outside the usual that offset the savings from zero State income tax. Cost of living in Ohio is still relatively good, but my Dollars went farther in Tennessee and Florida.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

Old 12-09-2020, 08:40 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post

At least the fees you pay are for something you get, or benefit from, whereas, many times the income taxes you pay go to benefit those who pay no, or very little, income taxes. If it's a fee, generally speaking it comes with a choice.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Ohio Republicans are offering an alternative to the decades of failed Democratic leadership across the State. As I have said before, no Political party is perfect, or even has the average citizen's best interest in mind, but myself, and I am sure many other Ohioans are tired of the corruption and political scandals in cities like Cleveland, Akron, Dayton, Youngstown, and most recently the corruption rocking the Cincinnati City Council. Growing up in Cleveland, I never realized how crappy and corrupt the leadership was until I moved away after College and observed how other cities are run. Republicans are offering a new vision, and maybe it won't work, but it at least is different than the decades failed policies of Ohio Democratic leaders.

Most recently, Ohio Republicans are tackling a huge issue, Ohio Public school funding which is not only broken, but unconstitutional in the way that property tax levies are used to fund public schools.
https://www.cleveland19.com/story/10...onstitutional/
What about the GOP scandal that bailed out the nuke plants? Perpetrated by republican speaker of the house and his cronies.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:30 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Ohio's problems are not political. They are cultural and demographic. They won't be solved even if magically changing the team at the top, electing the most brilliant and energetic reformers. Good government can help, to be sure. But it can only help marginally. It won't change the culture.

Speaking of culture, the Republican party has for generations been split along a stark divide. To one side is what might be termed the corporate-globalist side. On the other is the social conservative, nativist-populist side. At present the latter is dominant. That side had enough appeal in Ohio to carry the election for the Republicans.

I am a corporatist-globalist. I invest, and like to see corporate profits flourish. I like free-trade, and H1-B visas. This is not facetiousness or a tawdry joke. John Kasich appealed to me, even though I disagree with him vehemently on social-issues. He appealed to me, because he significantly lowered my taxes. Unfortunately Mr. Kasich is now an outcast in today's Republican Party.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:17 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I am a corporatist-globalist. I invest, and like to see corporate profits flourish. I like free-trade, and H1-B visas. This is not facetiousness or a tawdry joke. John Kasich appealed to me, even though I disagree with him vehemently on social-issues. He appealed to me, because he significantly lowered my taxes. Unfortunately Mr. Kasich is now an outcast in today's Republican Party.
I tend to like Kaisch, too... His killing the 3-C's rail project really bugged me, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio