Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 04:09 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,469,009 times

Advertisements

Stacker magazine's list of the 100 best places to live in the Midwest is limited to a maximum of 15 communities per state. Ohio's 15 communities are highly concentrated in the top 50 locations on the list, with the lowest ranked Ohio city 59: Madiera 6, Ottawa Hills 13, Bexley 20, Oakwood 27, Wyoming 28, Shaker Hts. 31, Mason 34, Dublin 35, Grandview Hts. 37, Upper Arlington 38, Solon 39, Montgomery 43, Blue Ash 50, Powell 51, Sixteen Mile Stand 59.

https://stacker.com/stories/5949/bes...s-live-midwest

As Ohio's lowest ranked city is 59th on the list, it suggests that several other Ohio cities would have ranked in the top 100 except for the 15 cities per state limitation.

Personally, I'm certain that all of these communities are fine places. However, the article provides zero transparency as to the ranking parameters.

Some day I would like to find an interactive ranking site that would allow individuals to weight their own parameters. E.g., for someone like me who ranks heavily winter weather; more moderate summers; world-class cultural institutions; pro sports; proximity to a large body of water for activities such as sail boating and long distance power boating, surf beaches, fishing, long horizons, and even ice cover in winter; ethnic diversity; cost of housing; mass transit resources; and availability of natural areas, Greater Cleveland communities would rank very highly among Ohio locations, and NOT very highly for those who detest snow and colder temperatures in winter.

One factor important to me and likely not considered in these rankings, based on my knowledge of these communities including several outside of Greater Cleveland, is traffic congestion, both local and on available limited access highways, as well as convenient access to non-toll, limited access highways.

I've never been to 6 of the 15 Ohio cities listed.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-29-2020 at 04:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 09:48 PM

14,705 posts, read 14,680,193 times
Is there really a point to the ranking? They’re all wealthy suburbs with good schools and stately houses, all fairly interchangeable and out of reach financially for the majority of the population.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:52 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,484,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Is there really a point to the ranking? They’re all wealthy suburbs with good schools and stately houses, all fairly interchangeable and out of reach financially for the majority of the population.
Exactly. If I were picking my own "top" places to live here, I don't know that I'd have thought of any of these.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:52 PM
on3

499 posts, read 388,035 times
I’ve been to 11 out of the 15 and not sure what Madeira has over some of the others which I would defiantly rank higher than Madeira.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:10 AM

2,552 posts, read 2,880,915 times
I grew up in Cincinnati and have never heard of Sixteen Mile Stand until this article.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:27 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,091,720 times
Sixteen Mile Stand!? Essentially Sycamore and Symmes Townships. Not a city in my opinion and that appeared to be a justification for being ranked. Just township-esque sprawl between Mason, Montgomery and Loveland.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:48 AM

2,508 posts, read 3,390,706 times
Middletown Ohio....

Only city in the state that truly straddles two milluon plus metros....30 minutes to either larger city...meaning both cities are part of the Middletown job market/opportunities.

Cool topography on one of the most gorgeous stretches of the Great Miami....parts of wish are of State Park-worthy beauty.

A rapidly reviving downtown...with one of the states's truly great musical edifices...the Sorg Opera House..brought fully back to life.

New city manager working on turning the Towne Mall area into an upscale new urbanist development just 1 minute from the I-75 Cin-Day midpoint.

And yes...HillBillyElegy

And most importantly located betwixt Dorothy Lane Market in Dayton and Jungle Jim's in Fairfield/Cincy.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:12 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,996,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
City Beautiful on Youtube has a good video debunking these lists.

I think these lists are fun reads, but they definitely cater to a certain aspirational upper middle class demographic of reader.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:27 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,962,161 times
I am familiar with most of the places on the list, many of which are quite terrible. Much of it depends on what your priorities are, I am lucky enough to live in a small town and have a job in the same small town, can’t beat a 5 minute commute, especially when a lot of my work weeks are 55+ hours. I also am able to walk to most places in town I need to be, bank, post office, small neighborhood IGA grocery store, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio