Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 7,486 times

Advertisements

Wife and I (college educated professionals, homebodies) are relocating to NE Ohio for work and better pace of life for family. Working Middle class and definitely not well off.

We are a mixed race family and our teen son (soft spoken, loves to read, very suburban, scholar-athlete and computer kid) is getting old enough to realize he faces challenges from White and Black kids who may be intolerant or understand where or if he “fits” with their crowd. We are concerned about tolerance and making sure he feels safe and can get through those difficult years before college and finding his way in the world.

We have all grown up near big cities and don’t want to deal with congestion and costs. We have looked at Perkins, Sandusky, Huron area and we are starting to check out slightly more rural places in Lorain County (most seem slightly more affordable) near Oberlin, Amherst, LaGrange...we’d ideally like some space from neighbors (tired of the NY/NJ crowded suburbs), perhaps a little running around land with fences for dogs and maybe put in a pool.
Our son is our number 1 concern and I don’t want him to have to fear or be judged.
Is there anyone with similar experience in these towns? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by alpini330; 03-19-2021 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 09:13 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Where in NE Ohio will you be commuting to?

What sort of budget are you thinking?

Culturally, and given that you want to avoid the big cities and immediate suburbs, I think you're looking in the right region. Northern Ohio between Toledo and Cleveland is rural without being "too rural", and it can swing both liberal and conservative historically (with a solid Trump bend lately, though that probably applies for all rural-ish areas besides college towns).

Have you visited Ohio much? Compared to NY/NJ you might find some of the suburbs and even city neighborhoods to be less crowded than you expect. You might be able to find what you're looking for in or near Toledo, Cleveland, or Akron, depending where work is.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Where in NE Ohio will you be commuting to?

What sort of budget are you thinking?

Culturally, and given that you want to avoid the big cities and immediate suburbs, I think you're looking in the right region. Northern Ohio between Toledo and Cleveland is rural without being "too rural", and it can swing both liberal and conservative historically (with a solid Trump bend lately, though that probably applies for all rural-ish areas besides college towns).

Have you visited Ohio much? Compared to NY/NJ you might find some of the suburbs and even city neighborhoods to be less crowded than you expect. You might be able to find what you're looking for in or near Toledo, Cleveland, or Akron, depending where work is.
I’ve been working online for years. So my office will be home. Wife has opportunities (transfer) near Amherst, Sheffield and Avon. She has also interviewed in Milan and Sandusky.

Probably looking in 250-300k range so we can put up fence and save for pool.
We have been coming here during and outside of Cedar Point/Fair season for years because of work assignments and some friends of family.My son plays in multiple sports tournaments a year so he gets to meet kids from all over the place.

Sandusky looks quaint but the kids who my son has interacted with there in town seem kinda rough and he’s not a fit with the crowd It also looks like it’s best years are over and kids leave when they can. Perkins is nice but it seems like retired folks live in the $$$ nice spots, people who can’t get out of town with few opportunities/lack of ed seem stuck, and kids who go to college and never come back fill in the rest. Lots of Trump flags still flying and meathead tourists.
. We got a more liberal and open minded vibe from Oberlin proper. The college village feel was nice but lots of rundown communities all around it.
In NY NJ, Avon would fit right into where we used to live but again we toured the school, met with some friends of family and probably just as snobby and status seeking as the towns we left.
We like Lakewood and it is very familiar to where we lived before which may be a plus for my kid but wife wants more space from neighbors. I have heard N Ridge and Keystone school district is similar but more space but we have not been out there.
My old work buddy lives out near Lake county/Geauga but I think that is too far and he says there is nothing for kids to come back to there.

I hope this is good info. I appreciate those who read this.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:59 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
I'm not overly familiar with Lorain County communities, let alone more western counties, but I think you need to identify prospective school district boundaries and spend some time researching high schools on greatschools.org, perhaps especially the equity section. If you want more land, here's one community that crossed my mind, but it doesn't look very diverse. Ask superintendent offices and definitely Facebook communities about racial tolerance policies AND EDUCATION (including anti-bullying programs) and other school population vibes.

https://www.greatschools.org/ohio/we...n-High-School/

The combo of diversity, public school excellence, and excellent private school availability typically is more common on the east side of Cleveland. IF you don't mind your son commuting by car, perhaps check out St. Ignatius High School if you're willing to foot the tuition bill. Your son's athletic pursuits may be limited there, however, unless he truly is a superb athlete.

https://www.ignatius.edu/

Kirtland or Willoughby Hills (Willoughby South HS) in Lake County might be a good choice for you (I suspect the high schools in those communities would be very racially tolerant, especially of a good athlete), given your desire for more land (but perhaps not in your price range), but the commute likely may be prohibitive (45 minutes to Avon Lake from WH).

https://www.greatschools.org/ohio/ki...Race_ethnicity

https://www.greatschools.org/ohio/wi...Race_ethnicity

I would disagree that there is nothing for kids to come back for in Lake County, especially prospectively given the Great Climate Change Migration that I believe is inevitable and will accelerate in this decade. Is your friend ignorant of the I-271 corporate corridor or the rapid development of medical technology in the Greater University Circle area?

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2021/...nnovation.html

Perhaps read through this thread, especially posts 29 and 109.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...l#post60643480

These threads may be even more helpful given your emphasis on locations west of Cleveland and concern for the future desirability of your relocation destination.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...mmunities.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...me-travel.html

Last edited by WRnative; 03-20-2021 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-20-2021, 12:13 PM

Thank you for the info. I will give this a read. I appreciate it. The work friend could totally be wrong. He’s been wrong before.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:26 PM

811 posts, read 888,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpini330 View Post
I’ve been working online for years. So my office will be home. Wife has opportunities (transfer) near Amherst, Sheffield and Avon. She has also interviewed in Milan and Sandusky.

Probably looking in 250-300k range so we can put up fence and save for pool.
We have been coming here during and outside of Cedar Point/Fair season for years because of work assignments and some friends of family.My son plays in multiple sports tournaments a year so he gets to meet kids from all over the place.

Sandusky looks quaint but the kids who my son has interacted with there in town seem kinda rough and he’s not a fit with the crowd It also looks like it’s best years are over and kids leave when they can. Perkins is nice but it seems like retired folks live in the $$$ nice spots, people who can’t get out of town with few opportunities/lack of ed seem stuck, and kids who go to college and never come back fill in the rest. Lots of Trump flags still flying and meathead tourists.
. We got a more liberal and open minded vibe from Oberlin proper. The college village feel was nice but lots of rundown communities all around it.
In NY NJ, Avon would fit right into where we used to live but again we toured the school, met with some friends of family and probably just as snobby and status seeking as the towns we left.
We like Lakewood and it is very familiar to where we lived before which may be a plus for my kid but wife wants more space from neighbors. I have heard N Ridge and Keystone school district is similar but more space but we have not been out there.
My old work buddy lives out near Lake county/Geauga but I think that is too far and he says there is nothing for kids to come back to there.

I hope this is good info. I appreciate those who read this.
I wouldn’t count Lake and Geauga Counties out...they are fine places to live and raise a family. I was born and raised in Lake County and commuted to Cleveland during my college years about ten years ago. I then moved away and lived In many different places and now that I have my own Family, I moved back to NE Ohio last year.

I lived in Lake County while our house was built in neighboring Ashtabula County, which is pretty rural South from Lake Erie. Ashtabula County is about 1-1.5 hours from Cleveland.

I will say that western Lake County is mostly nice and a quick 30 minute drive or less into downtown Cleveland. There is a lot to do for families in Lake County. Willoughby and Mentor are the usual Suburban communities. Downtown Willoughby is charming and a fun night out.

Geauga County is more rural but very nice and still not far from Cleveland depending upon which part of the county you’re located in. Chardon is a well regarded community in Geauga County.

To summarize, I think Lake/Geauga are a little farther from Cleveland but nothing too bad and with Cleveland’s good commute times, make it a quick drive to work.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
I'm a big fan of some places in Geauga, like Burton, Chardon, and Middlefield.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:09 PM

Everyone thank you for giving us all this food for thought.
From the looks of the jobs search, I believe my wife will end up working near Midway/Elyria area.
We will be in the area soon to look. I guess we’re going to have to see how far all these places work out commute-wise.
I checked out Avon during the weekend and believe the Avon area is above our price range (taxes are almost NY-like) if we want room and since it is just the three of us, I don’t believe we want to buy a giant McMansion. In terms of houses, I think the bigger yard considerations and basement or rec room for son and his friends may be a bigger deciding factor than I thought when it comes to housing that is available.

The HR lady where my wife interviewed keeps telling her about brand new homes near Amherst and Ridgeville (?) area but I believe it will come down to cost if that ends up being a 15 minute commute for my wife. With the market so currently screwy, I don’t know if new houses are going to be a better deal per foot than an older home being sold again.

I will let you all know when we start seeing some of these houses in person.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:25 PM

8 posts, read 7,658 times
I think you are looking in the right place. Sandusky is a hidden gem really and provides good opportunities for kids. They've just built some lovely new schools and have a dedicated school for gifted students from the area. You're not incorrect in saying the brightest leave, but I have hope to think some are returning (see https://sanduskyregister.com/news/85...or-ohio-house/ as an example). They are drawn to the progressive and forward thinking policies Sandusky has put into place since Wobser became city manager. Trust me it has really transformed in the last decade. The current populace is in transition, but there's much more reason to hope in the vitality of the city I think than others in the area.

With your desire for land, consider Margaretta Township, Huron Township, or Berlin Heights. On political affiliations, Sandusky is very blue, with it becoming more purple and then ultimately red as you get more rural. That said, you can live in a purple area of that spread, with acreage, and still be <15 minutes from the city and major retail districts. Remember this area of Ohio voted for Obama twice, and has a long running Democratic congresswomen. However, go south one county and it's Jim Jordan's district. I would stick closer to the coast.

One of the biggest underappreciated assets of the area as a whole is the lack of traffic and how uncrowded it is. Even compared to the other towns closer to Cleveland, it's a much more peaceful and relaxed pace. Since you work from home, you are free to move and invest in such a place. Good luck, and don't forget to enjoy summers on Lake Erie!

Old 03-24-2021, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 7,658 times
I saw you mentioned Milan as well. And if you would rather live in a slower paced village, very similar to the quintessential New England village, Milan is great for that. Very quiet, and could easily live in or just outside of town on acreage. Lots of older well kept homes (drive through if you haven't and like historical houses) and an excellent school system as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio