Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 11:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times

Advertisements

Post 7:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Based on excess mortality studies, we've lost over 900,000 Americans to COVID, and likely millions more have acquired long-term, perhaps permanent health deficiencies. Many of the persons with long-haul syndrome are removed from the work force, and their treatment likely will exert upward pressure on health insurance premiums, further zapping American competitiveness.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ovid-19-in-u-s

Estimation of total mortality due to COVID-19 | Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation
Your post 33:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Check your facts, 585,000 Deaths from Covid19 in the USA, not "One Million" as you state.
What other nation has not been touched by Covid-19? In fact, the USA has done tremendous work on Vaccine distribution and equity compared to our Peers in Europe, Asia, even Canada.
Many states have deliberately understated their COVID death rates, most often by not attributing deaths to COVID when persons died from COVID without ever being tested for COVID. This especially happened early in the epidemic, before testing was widely available and persons were dying at home in very large numbers.

There has been widespread criticism of state mandates to suppress COVID statistical reporting by local health boards in states such as Florida.

The Trump administration even took responsibility for COVID statistics away from the CDC and turned it over to one of his political allies, making the statistics highly suspect.

<<Through the office of Vice President Mike Pence, who heads the task force, Birx declined to be interviewed or to respond to written questions, including whether the White House pressured her to use TeleTracking’s system. (TeleTracking’s majority owner, real estate developer Michael Zamagias, has donated to Republican candidates and has ties to Trump businesses through colleagues, according to an NPR report.)>>

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...undermined-cdc

Quote:
Stop being a bully.
Exactly how am I a bully? By posting documented facts? By challenging ridiculous insults and comments by you and other posters?

Last edited by WRnative; 05-16-2021 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 12:36 PM

Your post 29:

Quote:
Pandemic is over. Vaccines are available almost everywhere without an appointment, Health orders end June 2nd, and Liberals’ love child, the CDC, have issued guidance to vaccinated people to drop the masks and social distancing. State of Emergency is in the past.
Your post 35:

Quote:
Do you bring Politics into every discussion on this board?? Here you go again with everyone who disagrees with your opinion being "Anti-Science" or "Trumpers". I am neither of those, but your thoughts are clouded by your biases and stereotypes.

Anybody who writes a ridiculous comment such as "Liberals' love child, the CDC," both is political and anti-science. And I documented in post 31 in detail why the state of emergency is not past. It's especially disturbing to me that few political leaders are focused on the risk to children, especially those who are younger than age 12 and not eligible for vaccination, as more virulent and transmissible variants continue to spread. If we can't reach herd immunity, how can you argue that the state of emergency is past especially when we move indoors beginning in the fall, and when we may need to start the vaccination process all over again with booster shots???

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html

I've repeatedly contrasted throughout this thread "the no COVID" policy, inspired by infectious disease experts, in Australia and other nations with the "live with COVID" policy implemented by the Trump administration and followed by the Biden administration, even though the Biden administration did accelerate vaccine administration. Trump's political decisions about the epidemic, often deceitful in the extreme and ignoring expert advice, are patently obvious. Do you forget how Trump repeatedly said the virus would just go away, demanded the "liberation" of states, and discouraged mask wearing? Do you forget Trump's widely criticized decision to follow the advice of radiologist Scott Atlas and to rely on herd immunity rather than enhanced public health measures to suppress the epidemic?

https://www.axios.com/scott-atlas-he...d7560c7f1.html

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...of-face-masks/

By contrast, read again this article linked in post 29 about how science governed Australia's highly successful response to the epidemic.

<<Australia’s success proves that a strong public health response enforced by a democratic government focused on vigilant testing, tracing and quarantine is the key to fighting a pandemic....>>

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...h=147050d23a01

After a lockdown, Australia instituted stringent public health measures to quash the epidemic and did so under a collaborative national effort. Although Australia has a conservative premier friendly with Trump, he did not follow Trump's decision to politicize the epidemic. Good for Australia. Bad for us, as we now seem stuck with the "live with COVID" national policy choice, even though shortly given summer weather and increasing rates of vaccination, we will have the opportunity to transition to a "no COVID policy."

Old 05-16-2021, 12:40 PM

219 posts, read 570,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
A group called IHME came out with a "study" this past week claiming the actual number of Covid deaths in the U.S. was 900K, which WRNative probably just rounded up to 1 million because he believes in lying to people as long as it's for the purposes of his religion (scare and guilt people into supporting Zero-Covid measures). IHME is funded by Gates and their projections have repeatedly been way off; I would go with the numbers agreed upon by other entities, which are close to the number you give.

We won't adopt Zero-Covid in this country any sooner than soccer will supplant football as the #1 sport. WRNative won't accept that and you see how angry it makes him; that's why I asked him to chill out, because it can't be good for his health the way he flies off the handle at anyone who doesn't share his fundamentalist views.

You've got that right. I've been reading his rants for over a year now. In a way, I feel bad for him. It must be terrible to be so frightened and angry all the time.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:48 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Your post 29:

Your post 35:

Anybody who writes a ridiculous comment such as "Liberals' love child, the CDC," both is political and anti-science. And I documented in post 31 in detail why the state of emergency is not past. It's especially disturbing to me that few political leaders are focused on the risk to children, especially those who are younger than age 12 and not eligible for vaccination, as more virulent and transmissible variants continue to spread. If we can't reach herd immunity, how can you argue that the state of emergency is past especially when we move indoors beginning in the fall, and when we may need to start the vaccination process all over again with booster shots???

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html

I've repeatedly contrasted throughout this thread "the no COVID" policy, inspired by infectious disease experts, in Australia and other nations with the "live with COVID" policy implemented by the Trump administration and followed by the Biden administration, even though the Biden administration did accelerate vaccine administration. Trump's political decisions about the epidemic, often deceitful in the extreme and ignoring expert advice, are patently obvious. Do you forget how Trump repeatedly said the virus would just go away, demanded the "liberation" of states, and discouraged mask wearing? Do you forget Trump's widely criticized decision to follow the advice of radiologist Scott Atlas and to rely on herd immunity rather than enhanced public health measures to suppress the epidemic?

https://www.axios.com/scott-atlas-he...d7560c7f1.html

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...of-face-masks/

By contrast, read again this article linked in post 29 about how science governed Australia's highly successful response to the epidemic.

<<Australia’s success proves that a strong public health response enforced by a democratic government focused on vigilant testing, tracing and quarantine is the key to fighting a pandemic....>>

After a lockdown, Australia instituted stringent public health measures to quash the epidemic and did so under a collaborative national effort. Although Australia has a conservative premier friendly with Trump, he did not follow Trump's decision to politicize the epidemic. Good for Australia. Bad for us, as we now seem stuck with the "live with COVID" national policy choice, even though shortly given summer weather and increasing rates of vaccination, we will have the opportunity to transition to a "no COVID policy."
No, we won't. People don't want it. You should come to terms with that. You'll feel better.

This is the biggest reason I have not gotten vaccinated yet (I have several reasons). I surmised that if almost everyone took the vaccine, then zealots such as yourself would see an opportunity to get to Zero Covid, and politicians would cave to those voices. If you want to see what that would involve, here's a radio alert from Quebec this month:

https://twitter.com/thevivafrei/stat...39984757895168

Lovely way to live, isn't it? Totally not totalitarian at all...

Zero Covid is worthy of nothing more than the D.A.R.E. approach: "Just Say No."

Old 05-16-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
I have a question or two. If vaccines, masks and treating your friends and neighbors like they have the plague is so important to stop the pandemic in America. Why in the **** did we open up the borders the past three months and Let in a **** ton of illegal aliens? Does the government really care? And if they did why do they still sell tobacco and alcohol which is a much worse health issue and causes way more deaths and family issues.
I agree with you on this for many reasons, but keep in mind that the Republicans under Trump controlled the White House and Congress and never even introduced an immigration reform bill. We later found out that Trump's golf clubs employed large numbers of illegal immigrants. The Republican-controlled House, despite promises to do so, NEVER introduced an immigration reform bill even after the Senate passed one in 2013 that would have been a vast improvement over current immigration laws. Both of our parties are horrible at immigration reform.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border...on_Act_of_2013

I'm still amazed how the Trump/DeWine/Republicans supporters in this thread are indifferent to U.S. death rates forty times greater in the U.S. than in Australia, case rates and likely long-term health deficiencies 80 times higher, and trillions wasted unnecessarily to keep the economy intact when stringent public health measures could have accomplished the same.

Could one of you jokers please explain why you don't want COVID eliminated from U.S. society and persons to go about their lives without masks or social distancing, whether self-enforced or mandated, with virtually NO risk of COVID infection?

Last edited by WRnative; 05-16-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
No, we won't. People don't want it. You should come to terms with that. You'll feel better.

This is the biggest reason I have not gotten vaccinated yet (I have several reasons). I surmised that if almost everyone took the vaccine, then zealots such as yourself would see an opportunity to get to Zero Covid, and politicians would cave to those voices. If you want to see what that would involve, here's a radio alert from Quebec this month:

https://twitter.com/thevivafrei/stat...39984757895168

Lovely way to live, isn't it? Totally not totalitarian at all...

Zero Covid is worthy of nothing more than the D.A.R.E. approach: "Just Say No."
Anti-scientific idiocy in the extreme. Anybody who studies the Australian "zero COVID policy" knows exactly what is required. Again, read this article for a good summary.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-16-2021 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 01:03 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Anti-scientific idiocy in the extreme.
Canada? I totally agree. Hell, they've removed outdoor basketball hoops there. We figured out a year ago there was no science to support that.

Old 05-16-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
You've got that right. I've been reading his rants for over a year now. In a way, I feel bad for him. It must be terrible to be so frightened and angry all the time.
You're right. Recognizing the ignorance and deceit that permeates our society does not offer a pleasant reality. There is no consolation in witnessing a disastrous and unnecessary epidemic, let alone even worst fates that lie ahead due to the proliferation of the shocking level of deceitful ignorance in our society.

Unfortunately, also a large number of my friends have no interest in resuming normal life while we allow this epidemic to fester, at least until effective therapies are introduced to treat infections (hopefully a drug such as narsoplimab, which the federal government ignored for over six months until it recently began an I-SPY trial sponsored partially by BARDA, but the study only considers hospitalized patients and there is no study of administering it to those who test positive for COVID, as with antiviral shingles drugs).

Mick, are you happy with the Trump administration's epidemic performance and the Biden administration's apparent willingness to live with a constant state of COVID infection? Aren't you bothered by the death toll, negative long-term health burdens placed on our society and medical system, and the looming reckoning for our economy once stimulus ends and we are left with a debt-strangled federal government?

Does this outcome make you feel all jolly and happy???

Last edited by WRnative; 05-16-2021 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
It's "fazes," dummy.
Thanks. I missed that error.

Old 05-16-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
A group called IHME came out with a "study" this past week claiming the actual number of Covid deaths in the U.S. was 900K, which WRNative probably just rounded up to 1 million because he believes in lying to people as long as it's for the purposes of his religion (scare and guilt people into supporting Zero-Covid measures). IHME is funded by Gates and their projections have repeatedly been way off; I would go with the numbers agreed upon by other entities, which are close to the number you give.
I used 1 million because 1) the IHME study said "more than 900,000;" and 2) the epidemic is not over, especially given our "live with COVID" policy, which you so ridiculously and inexplicably champion.

<<A new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.>>

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ovid-19-in-u-s

You also are wrong about the accuracy of IHME projections.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/h...e-d387f4446655
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio