Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 09:39 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,870,211 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, thanks in advance

Just trying to learn more about marietta and the surrounding area. I don't see much Posted. It seems like a really nice and affordable small town. Curious to learn more about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 10:03 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Hi guys, thanks in advance

Just trying to learn more about marietta and the surrounding area. I don't see much Posted. It seems like a really nice and affordable small town. Curious to learn more about it.
Not much going on there, just another very economically depressed area with drug issues- situated along one the most polluted rivers in the country, the Ohio River.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:02 AM

That doesn't sound very appealing...

Are the drugs worse than an average small town would be? How is the crime and local economy? How are the schools?

Old 06-15-2022, 11:11 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
That doesn't sound very appealing...

Are the drugs worse than an average small town would be? How is the crime and local economy? How are the schools?
The main employers are similar to what you would find in other towns of its size, schools, hospital, and the college are the mainstays of the area. Crime rate is lower, housing and rent prices are lower as there hasn't been very much job growth in decades. It isn't very close to other cities of any size nearby which could be a pro or con. The hospital there has very mediocre ratings.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:39 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The main employers are similar to what you would find in other towns of its size, schools, hospital, and the college are the mainstays of the area. Crime rate is lower, housing and rent prices are lower as there hasn't been very much job growth in decades. It isn't very close to other cities of any size nearby which could be a pro or con. The hospital there has very mediocre ratings.
This sounds about right. I dated a girl who was from the surrounding area in college. I recall visiting the area a couple of times while dating her. It seemed like a nice laid back and quiet city (very small town feeling where "everyone knows everyone else") but even the girl I dated told me that it was a lower income area and that due to its proximity (or rather lack thereof) to a larger city many of her friends growing up didn't have as many opportunities to excel or get ahead in life. Of course this was over a decade ago so it's probably changed some since then.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:58 PM

90 posts, read 118,085 times
I grew up in Marietta. Went to school and now live in Cincinnati. It wasn’t a bad place to grow up other than the schools sucked and there wasn’t really anything for teenagers to do except Party and hang out at the mall (which is in West Virginia). The downtown area of Marietta is actually really nice with shops lining Front street. Most of my family still lives in the area so I visit a few times a year. I personally am a city person and wouldn’t move back for anything but if you like the slower paced life then it’s not a bad place.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:16 PM

46 posts, read 63,845 times
Hey koolaid

I'm originally from Ohio. Friendly hardworking people in Ohio. I can't speak to Marietta as I grew up in northeastern Ohio but Ohio seems to have a reasonable COL still. Maybe a little more research to find another small town in Ohio to suit you. Central Ohio is getting Intel chip facility by 2024. Probably good jobs coming to New Albany. Does get gray in winter though

Guy on YouTube does relocation videos "World according to Briggs". Did a 10 reasons to move to Ohio video about three years ago. Things may have changed some since the pandemic, but gives you a baseline about Ohio if it is a serious consideration for you
The video had alot of viewer comments from natives and transplants that you may find interesting.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeDrunk62 View Post
Hey koolaid

I'm originally from Ohio. Friendly hardworking people in Ohio. I can't speak to Marietta as I grew up in northeastern Ohio but Ohio seems to have a reasonable COL still. Maybe a little more research to find another small town in Ohio to suit you. Central Ohio is getting Intel chip facility by 2024. Probably good jobs coming to New Albany. Does get gray in winter though

Guy on YouTube does relocation videos "World according to Briggs". Did a 10 reasons to move to Ohio video about three years ago. Things may have changed some since the pandemic, but gives you a baseline about Ohio if it is a serious consideration for you
The video had alot of viewer comments from natives and transplants that you may find interesting.

Lol ... Well I'm currently near buffalo so central or south Ohio is going to be more mild and less gray by my standards.

And I watch many of Briggs videos as well.

Thx for the feedback.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:48 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Is the company that makes the PO mail boxes for the US Postal Service still located in Marietta?

Old 06-23-2022, 12:38 PM

120 posts, read 154,960 times
Having spent a week in Marietta on vacation...admittedly, a totally different perspective than actually living there...I was blown away by the experience and already making plans for a return trip (speaking with many locals and tourists alike, this isn't an uncommon reaction.)

The area seemed and felt very safe...and this was affirmed by locals. There's a nice selection of restaurants, both in the immediate downtown area, as well as locally. The city's entertainment venues seem to "punch well above their weight" for a city of roughly 14,000. The downtown area is filled with beautifully kept historic buildings which contribute to the overall vibrancy of the core city (and provide numerous shopping options.) . The locals were friendly and exceedingly helpful when it came to directions and suggestions. And the surrounding natural environment is...well...absolutely BEAUTIFUL! My girlfriend and I both agreed that we could easily see ourselves living in Marietta at some point. To be sure, it's not for everyone. If you're career minded and serious about climbing the corporate ladder, Marietta is assuredly NOT a place for you! I'm quite sure finding a good job in one's chosen profession would be the biggest challenge for those looking at or seriously considering a relocation to the area. But you could do a whole lot worse than Marietta, Ohio if you're looking for a little slice of 21st century Mayberry on a budget!

I pulled a few stats regarding Marietta's "livability"

I'm not including the site, as I believe that's a no-no. Google "Marietta Ohio livability"
and you'll be able to verify these for yourself...

It has an 89 overall score (on a scale of 1-100) which is "exceptional."
It's the 82nd ranked city in Ohio.
It's the 351st ranked city in the US.
Gets an "A+" for amenities.
"B+" for Cost of Living.
"A" for crime.
"D" for employment
"B" for housing.
"B+" for schools.
"A" for locals' reviews on their city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio