Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 07:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times

Advertisements

According to my Weather America, Third Edition, Cincinnati receives an average of 21.6" of snow a year, with 20 days of >1.0" snow depth. This is an improvement over Wooster, which receives an average of 29.3" of snow a year, with 45 days of >1.0" snow depth. I would recommend an AWD or 4WD vehicle; going uphill without it in snow is difficult at best.

Have you heard of YouTuber Feli from Germany:
https://www.youtube.com/@FelifromGermany

She moved from Munich to Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 10:44 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
By "reasonable" I mean "reasonable to me."

I just want to say that I am looking forward to moving to the area between Dayton and Cincinnati next year. I want to be close to family and I have family in the Loveland area. I currently live about an hour and a half from Dallas in the Tyler, Texas area. I actually had to GO DOWN in price to find what I am interested in! I thought our home prices were pretty reasonable but comps in Ohio seem even moreso!
Moving to Ohio? I NEVER thought I'd hear that from you!

Ohio home prices, almost where ever you look, are reasonable to almost everyone. I would say, especially in the upper and upper middle bracket.

Are you looking at new construction or existing housing? I know of some builders that I like a lot - and some that I don't. Some have HOAs, so you will not have to shovel snow in winter. Or mow grass in Summer.

As far as the weather goes, I would give this advice to anyone moving from a warm climate to, a colder climate - move in the early Spring through mid summer. This will ease you into into the cold weather. You will enjoy the beauty of Spring and Summer, and enter into what many believe is Ohio's most visually beautiful season - Autumn!

I'm moving too, but not as far south as Cincy. We enjoy visiting that Cincinnati, though. I know that you lived in Germany for a while. There are quite a few German restaurants and cultural activities in Cincinnati, that I think you will find enjoyable. Over-the- Rhine is a must visit. https://www.cleveland.com/travel/201...rhine_nei.html

Don't worry about priced exploding upward while you sell your home and find another. Ohio homes do increase in price, but not in a crazy way.

Also, you will not be in the "Snow Belt" where I live. I have quite a few friends and family members who live in the south. Think of it this way - there are 2 or 3 really hot months in the south, when A/C in your best friend.

OTOH, there are 2 or 3 colder months where central heat and a nice fireplace will be your best friends. It's just a trade off.

ETA - Don't forget Oktoberfest! - https://www.facebook.com/oktoberfestzinzinnati/

Send me a DM if you have questions.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:49 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
I am planning on retiring too! I will keep you posted on things. I also have lots of pottery though...hmmmmm....
We'll need a Dish Room. Or two. Or one of those gigantic butler's pantries. Hmmm indeed.

Quote:
But I have been in some serious snow in the Columbus and Dayton areas before and I'm not crazy about it but I'll probably just stay home more.
Nah. Cincinnati doesn't get as much snow as Columbus or Dayton, and the main streets are kept pretty clear. The neighborhood streets are another story, but unless there's more than 6" of snow, which is pretty rare, you can get out of your neighborhood easily. The problem with snow in Cincinnati is the other drivers - they totally panic when snow is even hinted at. Growing up on the south shore of Lake Erie, where snow is a way of life, I found that all quite hilarious.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We'll need a Dish Room. Or two. Or one of those gigantic butler's pantries. Hmmm indeed.

Nah. Cincinnati doesn't get as much snow as Columbus or Dayton, and the main streets are kept pretty clear. The neighborhood streets are another story, but unless there's more than 6" of snow, which is pretty rare, you can get out of your neighborhood easily. The problem with snow in Cincinnati is the other drivers - they totally panic when snow is even hinted at. Growing up on the south shore of Lake Erie, where snow is a way of life, I found that all quite hilarious.
Oh, I am used to other drivers. Remember, I live in Texas. Everyone cleans out the local grocery store if they hear we MAY have some snow flurries! We all sort of panic but in our defense, we don't have any snow equipment at all so there's that.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:58 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My daughter raised her family in Centerville, OH, and it was a wonderful community. High property taxes though, and I know you don’t care about the school system, so maybe you don’t want to pay for it.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My daughter raised her family in Centerville, OH, and it was a wonderful community. High property taxes though, and I know you don’t care about the school system, so maybe you don’t want to pay for it.
I doubt they can possibly be as high as the property taxes in Texas! I will definitely check on that though. I wonder about Middletown.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I doubt they can possibly be as high as the property taxes in Texas! I will definitely check on that though. I wonder about Middletown.
She also lived in Middletown before kids, but I don’t know much about it.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
She also lived in Middletown before kids, but I don’t know much about it.
Me either. I'll check it out.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I asked her and she said Middleboro is less desirable than other towns. Besides Centerville, she suggests Kettering, Springboro, Oakwood, Lebanon and Winchester. Happy hunting.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:54 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:

If you have any questions about Middletown, let me know. From about 1980 to 2010 Middletown really suffered. The wealthy suburbs from Dayton to the north and from Cincy on the south were converging on Middletown, attracting much of the cotys elite.

Well that process is now benefitting Middletown. It sits smack in the heart of the CBD Metro and is in a pretty rapid revitalization mode. Living here offers you easy access to both Cincy and Dayton, as well as the shopping/dining new Urbanist developments that are beginning to line the area's highways (Liberty Center, Austin Landing and up in BeaverCreek, the Green.

Middletown itself is protected from suburban sprawl by the fact that it's western/northern border is the Great Miami River,. Across the river is the very bucolic West Middletown/Madison township that is adamantly against any major development.

One other bonus is that within the city limits of Middletown, there is very little traffic. The road system could easily handle two or three times the traffic it does as the city invested heavily in road infrastructure during the boom decades from 1950s through the 70s. We have none of that suburban sprawl traffic so common in the US.

Good luck with your move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio