Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:01 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,796,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
I personally enjoy it when people from other southern states move here. It helps keep our culture intact.

However, one thing that people like you never get. We have become accustomed to outsiders putting us down. Since the fictional book Grapes of Wrath to how the state of California enacted their national guard to keep the Okies out, it's been the same stereotypical label pasted across our backs. I don't think people like you even realize how condescending you truly are.

I've lived on both sides of the fence. I've lived in one of the cities you mentioned. I can tell you the grass isn't greener. You gain just as many new problems that you leave behind. I wouldn't live in Atlanta if you paid me to.

The reason natives keep people like you on the outside is that they see through your condescension. The very condescension you don't even realize you are radiating. If you don't like it, leave. Don't come here and try to change it or make it like the place you left. Your home obviously wasn't adequate or you wouldn't be here to begin with. It's our home and we have a love for it you will never understand.
John, I admittedly don't know the history of people putting down Oklahoma. I do know about Texas, but thats it. The pollution and traffic are bad in Atlanta. People can be pretentious (seems more so there than other cities, but maybe not). But I put up with it because the city has a lot of greenery, parks, mountains, a great dating scene, sports, activities, forward thinking, etc. My Father was also born and raised there, and I was born there (didn't grow up there), so it has always felt like home to me. I left because I had to for a job.

You're absolutely 1000% wrong on the condescension thing. I'm a very down to earth guy who really tries with people. I will say I'm tough to get to know because I'm not overly outgoing. That might be confused for arrogance, but nobody who knows me would ever use that adjective. As I said earlier, its just hard moving anywhere where you know nobody. But its much harder here than I envisioned when I moved here, considering how "friendly" everyone appears to be, key word being appears. I've made the effort, but I'm chalking it up to the fact that if I'm not from here, they aren't going to be welcoming (except at work, but I've sen some of it there too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM

374 posts, read 807,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
John, I admittedly don't know the history of people putting down Oklahoma. I do know about Texas, but thats it. The pollution and traffic are bad in Atlanta. People can be pretentious (seems more so there than other cities, but maybe not). But I put up with it because the city has a lot of greenery, parks, mountains, a great dating scene, sports, activities, forward thinking, etc. My Father was also born and raised there, and I was born there (didn't grow up there), so it has always felt like home to me. I left because I had to for a job.

You're absolutely 1000% wrong on the condescension thing. I'm a very down to earth guy who really tries with people. I will say I'm tough to get to know because I'm not overly outgoing. That might be confused for arrogance, but nobody who knows me would ever use that adjective. As I said earlier, its just hard moving anywhere where you know nobody. But its much harder here than I envisioned when I moved here, considering how "friendly" everyone appears to be, key word being appears. I've made the effort, but I'm chalking it up to the fact that if I'm not from here, they aren't going to be welcoming (except at work, but I've sen some of it there too).
The trick to getting into to group: Here are a few very common mistakes people make when moving to Oklahoma.

1. I think I am proof that okies don't like it when outsiders try to flaunt where they came. You must leave Atlanta in Atlanta and adopt the Oklahoma culture. If you are a football fan, become a Sooner fan. Wear an Oklahoma t shirt or ball cap. You will figure out we are simple. Make an effort to show people you want to be a part of it all.

2. Don't talk about how much better it was where you came from. We don't care how awesome the grocery stores were back home or how much better the drivers, roads were in cleveland, etc. I made this mistake when I lived out of state. It's insulting to show up to someone's home and complain about the amenities. I too had to learn that lesson.

3. Accept that we are a red state and the buckle of the Bible Belt. People should know that when moving here. We don't need to be "enlightened" by anyone. Yes we have a small sect of liberals that wish more than anything that more liberals would move here and turn this place into a blue bastion, but all 77 counties in Oklahoma are red. If that is a problem, then people should look elsewhere. We aren't changing that anytime soon.

4. There are plenty of things to do. Just not the things you were used to. If you want us to be more open minded, how about making it mutual. Expand your interests. I have heard so many people ***** and moan about there being nothing to do here..only to find out their idea of things to do ends up being equally as boring.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 AM

593 posts, read 1,796,044 times
Quote:
I personally enjoy it when people from other southern states move here. It helps keep our culture intact.

However, one thing that people like you never get. We have become accustomed to outsiders putting us down. Since the fictional book Grapes of Wrath to how the state of California enacted their national guard to keep the Okies out, it's been the same stereotypical label pasted across our backs. I don't think people like you even realize how condescending you truly are.

I've lived on both sides of the fence. I've lived in one of the cities you mentioned. I can tell you the grass isn't greener. You gain just as many new problems that you leave behind. I wouldn't live in Atlanta if you paid me to.

The reason natives keep people like you on the outside is that they see through your condescension. The very condescension you don't even realize you are radiating. If you don't like it, leave. Don't come here and try to change it or make it like the place you left. Your home obviously wasn't adequate or you wouldn't be here to begin with. It's our home and we have a love for it you will never understand.

What culture?

Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM

60 posts, read 105,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
What culture?

Rural, country culture. OKC or Oklahoma doesn't have a monopoly on this type of culture. It's the culture that permeates small town America from the Deep South to the Midwest. It's just most people expect a metro area of 1.3 million people to have at least a little bit of cultural diversity, which is why OKC can be such a culture shock to people coming from other areas. Somebody moving from a small town, as long as they can stand the traffic, will probably like OKC.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Southern culture is dominant - especially in east and south.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:46 PM

18 posts, read 39,811 times
I am the original poster of this thread, and I am a bit saddened by what I have read.
To be welcomed by Oklahomans, I will have to put who I am, what I like, on the back burner to be accepted? But yet outsiders are being called arrogant? I'm confused by that.
I am very fond and proud to have been born and raised in California. But I am also very interested in Oklahoma since it is where my grandparents are from. But just because we may move to OKC, I am not going to start disliking CA, or act as if I haven't spent nearly 32 years here! Its a huge part of who I am.
That just seems very two faced and ugly. No offense. Californians wouldn't expect you to disown OK just because you moved. Thats ridiculous. I guess people here in CA understand that many people are transplants, and don't hold it against them. We are not all Laker Fans, or SD Charger fans. We like what we like.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:57 PM

60 posts, read 105,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFraser View Post
I am the original poster of this thread, and I am a bit saddened by what I have read.
To be welcomed by Oklahomans, I will have to put who I am, what I like, on the back burner to be accepted? But yet outsiders are being called arrogant? I'm confused by that.
I am very fond and proud to have been born and raised in California. But I am also very interested in Oklahoma since it is where my grandparents are from. But just because we may move to OKC, I am not going to start disliking CA, or act as if I haven't spent nearly 32 years here! Its a huge part of who I am.
That just seems very two faced and ugly. No offense. Californians wouldn't expect you to disown OK just because you moved. Thats ridiculous. I guess people here in CA understand that many people are transplants, and don't hold it against them. We are not all Laker Fans, or SD Charger fans. We like what we like.
Most people here aren't like John Special. They will not insult people who don't think and act like them like he does. However, there is some truth in his posts if you dig a little deeper than the surface level insults. If you don't fit the typical Okie stereotype, it will be more difficult to find your niche in OKC than in other cities. That doesn't mean it can't be done, its just more difficult. The reason for that is the general lack of transplants and therefore less cultural diversity than one might expect.

You also have to scale back your expectations on a lot of things. Oklahomans don't like to be told how much better things are in other places however true or untrue that may be. While Oklahoma City may not be the most live and let live place, it isn't as bad as usually portrayed on this board. I would suggest visiting for yourself before moving here if at all possible. No biased opinion on a message board can replace a trial visit to see if this is somewhere you can see yourself calling home or not.

I wonder what John Special is doing posting on City-Data on a Sunday morning anyways. Shouldn't he be in church?

Old 02-23-2014, 01:06 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,796,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtoDFW2016 View Post
Most people here aren't like John Special. They will not insult people who don't think and act like them like he does. However, there is some truth in his posts if you dig a little deeper than the surface level insults. If you don't fit the typical Okie stereotype, it will be more difficult to find your niche in OKC than in other cities. That doesn't mean it can't be done, its just more difficult. The reason for that is the general lack of transplants and therefore less cultural diversity than one might expect.

You also have to scale back your expectations on a lot of things. Oklahomans don't like to be told how much better things are in other places however true or untrue that may be. While Oklahoma City may not be the most live and let live place, it isn't as bad as usually portrayed on this board. I would suggest visiting for yourself before moving here if at all possible. No biased opinion on a message board can replace a trial visit to see if this is somewhere you can see yourself calling home or not.

I wonder what John Special is doing posting on City-Data on a Sunday morning anyways. Shouldn't he be in church?
Well said. I agree.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFraser View Post
The term californication didn't come about by accident. You can find my same sentiments in places like Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Texas where Californians have come in and tried to change it to resemble the California they left. Mainly through politics. Telling the locals they are not open minded or suggesting that their laws are oppressive. No one is asking you to abandoned the last 32 years of your life.

HOWEVER, those who walk around with their noses held high waiving their California flag, shouldn't expect the Okies to fall head over heals in love with them. They are the Okies now. I have a really good friend who moved here from Pismo Beach. He made lots of friends. He did it by becoming an Oklahoman - not a Californian living in Oklahoma. That means actually joining the society. Not trying to change it or turn your nose up to it.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,340,134 times
Quote:
..I have a really good friend who moved here from Pismo Beach. He made lots of friends. He did it by becoming an Oklahoman - not a Californian living in Oklahoma. That means actually joining the society. Not trying to change it or turn your nose up to it.
I think a possible problem, John, is that you consistently paint Oklahomans as some homogeneous group with the same political ideology, the same religious faith and the same societal outlook.

In reality, this is quite a diverse state.

True, Oklahoma may well be predominantly neo-conservative (red state) and Southern Baptist, but that doesn't alter the fact that many people are well outside those categories. Nor should it imply that people who aren't neo-conservative Southern Baptists are second-class citizens of the state or that they aren't welcome here.

I've lived in and out (mostly in) various parts of Oklahoma for 45 years. The people I've known have really run the gamut and come in all shapes, sizes, cultures, belief systems, etc.

It's like people who hear "Californian" and think everyone from there is a wild-eyed radical hippie homosexual pothead or something. It's nonsense. California is vast and comprises far more than just LA in the south and SF in the north, and even in those two cities there is a great amount of diversity.

Diversity being a good and positive thing; not evil or negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City