Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:58 PM

570 posts, read 560,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
What are you using to compare cities with? On what basis are you comparing OKC to Denver on? That'd be like comparing Dallas to Los Angeles, it makes no sense. Though the two cities come close, LA is still out of Dallas's league by a long shot. Oceans, shopping, food, world attractions... Dallas doesn't even come close. Yet Dallas is still a cosmopolitan city. OKC is not. You can tell that just because OKC constantly says it is big league. So in this case, if you are going to compare Dallas to OKC, than absolutely you can compare Wichita to OKC. In Denver's case, I don't see how OKC is comparable. It compares to Louisville.
I pick OKC because I don't like Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis, KC, or most rust belt and southern cities.

OKC Metro 3 has two tolled freeways. Kilpatrick Turnpike, H.E. Bailey Spur, and H.E. Bailey turnpike.

OKC is better compared to Fort Worth but even then it's hard because of its proximity to Dallas. Good cities I like tp compare OKC to are cities that I want OKC to be more like but are more similar in population. In this case, I'd pick Austin before Denver just because of the population difference. I'd like OKC to follow in Austin, Portland, and Salt Lake City footsteps personally and compare themselves to those cities.
But, but Dallas Trinity river is comparable to that of the Pacific Ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:05 PM

570 posts, read 560,053 times
To the OP I will suggest in taking a leap of faith and go for DFW. Like you said, it's a door to new experiences.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studying Okie View Post
What?
I guess he's trying to point to how Guthrie was the original state capitol. Nothing against Guthrie, but OK City is a much better location IMO.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I guess he's trying to point to how Guthrie was the original state capitol. Nothing against Guthrie, but OK City is a much better location IMO.
OKC and Guthrie were both prominent at the time of the land run and were the largest cities in the territory. Both were larger than Tulsa for the first ten to fifteen years. Guthrie had the capital at first but OKC was always the center of commerce from the get go.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:24 PM

44 posts, read 98,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
What are you using to compare cities with? On what basis are you comparing OKC to Denver on? That'd be like comparing Dallas to Los Angeles, it makes no sense. Though the two cities come close, LA is still out of Dallas's league by a long shot. Oceans, shopping, food, world attractions... Dallas doesn't even come close. Yet Dallas is still a cosmopolitan city. OKC is not. You can tell that just because OKC constantly says it is big league. So in this case, if you are going to compare Dallas to OKC, than absolutely you can compare Wichita to OKC. In Denver's case, I don't see how OKC is comparable. It compares to Louisville.
I pick OKC because I don't like Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis, KC, or most rust belt and southern cities.

OKC Metro 3 has two tolled freeways. Kilpatrick Turnpike, H.E. Bailey Spur, and H.E. Bailey turnpike.

OKC is better compared to Fort Worth but even then it's hard because of its proximity to Dallas. Good cities I like tp compare OKC to are cities that I want OKC to be more like but are more similar in population. In this case, I'd pick Austin before Denver just because of the population difference. I'd like OKC to follow in Austin, Portland, and Salt Lake City footsteps personally and compare themselves to those cities.
I'm comparing them on the basis of job growth and population growth as well as entertainment options though I'll agree that Denver and OKC is a bit of a stretch. I still greatly disagree with you that Wichita and OKC can be compared to each other. They are in totally different trajectories.

Oklahoma City's population, mainly its metro population is a good deal larger than Wichita's and still continues to experience moderate growth. Wichita's growth is barely even 1% and Johnson County, up in the KC metro is growing at a much faster clip and is now larger than Sedgwick County (county Wichita is in).

Oklahoma City did a very good job of mostly insulating itself from the massive job losses of the Great Recession of 2008 which enabled it for major job growth when it ended. Wichita lost tons of manufacturing jobs during that period, mostly in the aircraft industry that it still has not recovered from or replaced those jobs. Any other jobs that have moved in have been mostly low end service sector jobs.

Oklahoma City still has corporate headquarters located there that have seen growth over the years, case in point the massive Devon Energy Tower. Wichita has lost nearly all major headquarters of companies that started in the city which include White Castle, Pizza Hut, Rent-A-Center, Coleman, Cessna, Beechcraft, and a few others. The only major company still headquartered in the city is Koch Industries and it's privately owned and therefore cannot be considered a Fortune 500 company.

Oklahoma City for crying out loud now has an NBA team that is doing remarkably well there. OKC has more and bigger chains than Wichita, heck they just had a Texas De Brazil open up there last year. Wichita can only dream of having something like that. No one comes to Wichita for entertainment options, it's exactly the opposite. Most people here will drive down to Oklahoma City or go up to Kansas City on the weekends for entertainment. The only people that will come to Wichita for things to do are those out in western Kansas not located near any other larger city, or those in southeast Kansas and even then they might opt to go to Tulsa instead.

Also as I've said before, Oklahoma City has a growing downtown skyline and while activity has picked up in downtown Wichita, they are certainly not on the scale of OKC's and there are no high-rises planned anytime soon in Wichita.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
The restaurant situation is so bad in Wichita that I saw in another forum where the Texas Road House has been voted the number the one steak house in Wichita for five years running. I can understand their fondness. The Texas Road House in Stillwater is always packed when I go there. Probably like in Stillwater, the chains in Wichita have overwhelmed local restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City