Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 05:39 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,192 times

Advertisements

Well, after living here for 2 years, I can honestly say there is no way we are buying a home here. Last night was a 4.4 and only one of many earthquakes the past few days.
We are in a very nice rental home and you can feel the walls shake and hear the roof trusses creak during the biggest quakes. The dry stack stone columns outside lie rocks here and there.
We have also noticed the wastewater trucks seem to be on a rotation for dumping around the state. Once we start to notice they are back, about a week later the quakes start. When they disappear, the quakes stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
One more reason I absolutely totally detest living in Oklahoma City. It won't stop because most people here are more worried about gay people and abortions and vote accordingly. I literally cannot wait until I can see this place for the last time in my rear-view mirror. Only three more years and I'm done.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:30 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Finally, more people than coyotes and jack rabbits felt some earthquakes in Oklahoma. I've always figured the OKC area is going to have some strong quakes before more can be done about them by the state. If those quakes go over 5.0M in intensity, I don't see how many 1000s of people will be able to tolerate them and with a lot of protests at the State Capitol. Probably the waste water volume restrictions haven't been observed and enforced, and so people should be damned angry about that, such as those having damage on their million dollar homes.

One doesn't need to live very close to the center of the strongest ones to get a strong impression. I lived around 25 miles from the strongest one, the record breaking 5.8M near Pawnee. It's been the only quake that really frightened me. I had never experienced such rapid shaking before from those earthquakes.

By the way, Farmers Insurance is no longer offering earthquake coverage for at least parts of Oklahoma. I heard it was because Farmers was suffering huge losses, not just from the quakes themselves but having to call a structural engineer after someone filed a claim. They were charging $300 a year on average and the engineer costs $2,000 if someone files a claim.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-03-2017 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 10:17 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,192 times
We just had another BIG one....I bet it will be at least a 4!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
We just had another BIG one....I bet it will be at least a 4!

I haven't been sensing them in Stillwater.

If Gov. Fallin and other Republican office holders aren't complaining about the Edmond earthquakes, then they must not be all that bad, ha, ha. No, it was not just another sunny day.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM

420 posts, read 805,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One more reason I absolutely totally detest living in Oklahoma City. It won't stop because most people here are more worried about gay people and abortions and vote accordingly. I literally cannot wait until I can see this place for the last time in my rear-view mirror. Only three more years and I'm done.
It's a really bad joke. The place blows and then you throw earthquakes on top of it. We never had any earthquakes when I was growing up there (we had them, but i never felt one in my 26 years there).

Old 08-03-2017, 10:46 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Finally, more people than coyotes and jack rabbits felt some earthquakes in Oklahoma. I've always figured the OKC area is going to have some strong quakes before more can be done about them by the state. If those quakes go over 5.0M in intensity, I don't see how many 1000s of people will be able to tolerate them and with a lot of protests at the State Capitol. Probably the waste water volume restrictions haven't been observed and enforced, and so people should be damned angry about that.

One doesn't need to live very close to the center of the strongest ones to get a strong impression. I lived around 25 miles from the strongest one, the record breaking 5.8M near Pawnee. It's been the only quake that really frightened me. I had never experienced such rapid shaking before from those earthquakes.

By the way, Farmers Insurance is no longer offering earthquake coverage for at least parts of Oklahoma. I wonder if that company is worried the earthquakes will get worse.
Between the quake that tore my 'screen' door off the bedroom door (so the ac makes it in the room but the door is shut) I've considered earthquake coverage, but I couldn't afford it. Then we had the one which was centered IN Cushing and tore up the downtown... it took a few weeks to quit wondering when the next one was coming. And I'm FROM California.

It's not surprising that the coverage is backing out. I was asleep when the two recent quakes happened and didn't wake up, but so long as they keep fraking its only a matter of time. Sometimes I wish that this area was not one of a limited area where I can afford the cost of living.

Any Battlestar Galactica fans out there think the meaning of fraking in their world is under the hype pretty much the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City