Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 05:58 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,845,273 times

Advertisements

Hey, folks! Y'all were so helpful last time I figured we'd try again.....

We're coming back to OK in December for our Grandson's AIT graduation, and plan on spending about a week ahead of it (last week of November) knocking about. My bride is suffering from jewelry-shopping withdrawal <G> since we haven't been out to our favorite reservations in NM and AZ since last spring, so I'm hoping y'all can point us to so decent places to check out within a couple of hundred miles of Lawton!

Any ideas/input welcome - and thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 AM

24,313 posts, read 13,164,784 times
Most of the tribes around here (Lawton area) are not known for their jewelry, not like the Zunis, Hopis and Navajos of my home state. There is a place in Medicine Park, The Branded Bear, that does offer local and nearby tribal jewelry, etc. Some is from Oklahoma. Yelp and TripAdvisor reviews are not flattering, there are only two and they suggest a rude employee base, but several years ago an environmental inspector from Georgia was conducting an inspection/staff assistance visit where I work and after hours he visited the place, and said it was the best he'd ever seen.

Everything they have is made primarily in the local area, and the stuff they have that is not is exclusively US-made. Nothing from Taiwan or China.

https://www.facebook.com/brandedbear17/

Old 09-29-2019, 09:27 AM

24,613 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Not much in OKC. Western Heritage has a few old pieces which have been there for a while. Some inexpensive new stuff. The shop does not require the high entry fee.
Intertribal is more a place to go for a chat then to buy jewelry.
OK Native Art in the Stockyards may work for her.
Cherokee Art Market will be held in Tulsa in October. You may want to review the artist list once it is published.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Most of the tribes around here (Lawton area) are not known for their jewelry, not like the Zunis, Hopis and Navajos of my home state. There is a place in Medicine Park, The Branded Bear, that does offer local and nearby tribal jewelry, etc. Some is from Oklahoma. Yelp and TripAdvisor reviews are not flattering, there are only two and they suggest a rude employee base, but several years ago an environmental inspector from Georgia was conducting an inspection/staff assistance visit where I work and after hours he visited the place, and said it was the best he'd ever seen.

Everything they have is made primarily in the local area, and the stuff they have that is not is exclusively US-made. Nothing from Taiwan or China.

https://www.facebook.com/brandedbear17/
Thanks - we actually visited that store when we were there earlier this month. As a decades-long visitor to the NM & AZ reservations, I was somewhat taken aback by their pricing, which was more in line with New York City.....

I'll try to attach pics of a couple of pieces we've picked up out west - both were old work, necklace under $2k and the bracelet about $400. They DO have nice work there, but the pricing is just out of line IMO. We don't mind paying for good things - but I don't want to put their grandkids through college! And yeah, you're right - there's one gal in there that was about as friendly as a mother-in-law that you just told you were divorcing her daughter!
Attached Thumbnails
Native American jewelry sources?-santa-fe-find.jpg   Native American jewelry sources?-turquoise-bracelet.jpg  

Old 09-29-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Not much in OKC. Western Heritage has a few old pieces which have been there for a while. Some inexpensive new stuff. The shop does not require the high entry fee.
Intertribal is more a place to go for a chat then to buy jewelry.
OK Native Art in the Stockyards may work for her.
Cherokee Art Market will be held in Tulsa in October. You may want to review the artist list once it is published.
Yeah - the things you'd most likely find of interest are always when you are NOT gonna be in the area! But we'll check the other ones out, thanks!!

Old 09-29-2019, 07:31 PM

17,816 posts, read 13,719,426 times
There is a town about 45 minutes northeast of Lawton (assuming that is where you are going) called Anadarko. Anadarko is probably the most famous "Indian" town in Oklahoma because it is a small town but is the tribal HQ for a bunch of tribes. There are a couple of places to get Indian jewelry there. The one I always hear about is called 'McKee's". I think there are a couple of others as well.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is a town about 45 minutes northeast of Lawton (assuming that is where you are going) called Anadarko.
Yes, sir - we'll be back in Lawton. Thing is, before retiring I was used to doing 50k miles/year as a salesman, and we spent 15+ years vacationing on a motorcycle, often traveling 2,500-4,000 miles in 10 days or less - so driving a ways to get somewhere doesn't bother me.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:00 AM

24,313 posts, read 13,164,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is a town about 45 minutes northeast of Lawton (assuming that is where you are going) called Anadarko. Anadarko is probably the most famous "Indian" town in Oklahoma because it is a small town but is the tribal HQ for a bunch of tribes. There are a couple of places to get Indian jewelry there. The one I always hear about is called 'McKee's". I think there are a couple of others as well.
Good recommendation, I forgot about Anadarko.

It may look like a tourist trap, but the Cherokee Trading Post right off I-40 has some genuine US items. I-40 at exit 108 near Calumet, I used to pass it when flying in to OKC and then driving to my in-laws in NW OK. I've only been in it once, but it wasn't what I expected, not at all a trap like those Bowlins "attractions" that litter I-10, I-40 and US 70 in New Mexico and Arizona. Bonus: drivable portions of the original US 66 are only a half mile away.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 09-30-2019 at 05:09 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 06:22 AM

24,613 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yeah - the things you'd most likely find of interest are always when you are NOT gonna be in the area! But we'll check the other ones out, thanks!!
I got some of my best pieces in Washington DC of all places.

OK is not turquoise shopping country. Local artists working in silver know how to price their work and old hallmarked pieces have never been cheap. Happy hunting. Please keep us posted.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OK is not turquoise shopping country. Local artists working in silver know how to price their work and old hallmarked pieces have never been cheap. Happy hunting. Please keep us posted.
Understood - which is one of the reasons we're looking forward to it. Once you're away from the NYC retail pricing, the artists themselves know the value of their worth, and we have NO issue with that. And that necklace and bracelet are both hallmarked. We don't mind paying, but it's like one expo in Dallas a few years ago, when the guy was selling single-claw necklaces for the low, low price of $6,000 !! Yeah - I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, ace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City