Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 10:29 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,631,998 times

Advertisements

The lack of grocery store choices and high prices are a prime result of less competition (fewer national chains) due to the fact that Oklahoma imposes the full sales tax rate on grocery food items...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 10:31 AM

24,624 posts, read 10,947,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I don't blame you. If lack of quality food in different OKC suburbs is a concern then it's something for us to take into consideration regarding relocation.
Google supermarkets in the area (often by zip code so pick one) and check Wednesday adds. I am extreme when it comes to cooking as it has always been my stress relief. Beats shopping for shoes. Nobody goes hungry but three supermarkets later I go home and make orzo pasta that is one of my 1st world problems.

Got a garage door replaced within 24 hours and by a local contractor and considerably less then just the door and done right.

Called a neighbor I barely knew and asked her to please feed our cats as we were at the hospital. Of course!

Called the family doctor two days after my visit with the annual sniffles that SO has them. Pick his Z pack up.

It is icy and the mail lady delivers to my door as she knows I had surgery and cannot risk the walk to the mail box.

Yes, my problems are 1st world but I have to have some, do I not?

Old 02-27-2020, 04:25 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
I don't blame you. If lack of quality food in different OKC suburbs is a concern then it's something for us to take into consideration regarding relocation.
Keep in mind that the grocery store complaints aren't universal. Many people really like Sprouts or take the time to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes or one of the other higher end places. Others are fine with the standard grocery stores we have. Especially Crest.

But there are a lot of people like 3 Step who think the grocery stores are sub par.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Keep in mind that the grocery store complaints aren't universal. Many people really like Sprouts or take the time to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes or one of the other higher end places. Others are fine with the standard grocery stores we have. Especially Crest.

But there are a lot of people like 3 Step who think the grocery stores are sub par.
Sorry Trader Joe is Aldi North and Whole Foods has enough law suits about about false advertisement of origin/ quality of produce to fill pages. When a worker at Sprouts was all over bulk bins with a feather duster and laid it over an open bin my need for cashews disappeared. Which other higher end places? Uptown? It is easily said to take the time. Who has between an hour and two to drive to a grocery store and back? Again - needs and wants of individuals differ. Most of our neighbors were drawn by the school system. I could not care less. Actually the city is pushing a large bond - again! A performing arts center is a necessity for a town of this size. How about a sit down restaurant which is not fast the food style TexMex or BBQ? Plenty of fast food and at least one CBD shop per beauty shop
The 3rd generation body shop does awesome work! Not to mention that you can buy a restored hot rod off the show room floor.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Well figured I should bump this thread (in the midst of the corona virus craziness). I've been in talks with what seems like a very stable company in the OKC area and it's looking very likely we may come down for a visit (once the mandates lift) and I may do an in person interview, when possible.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:05 PM

Good to hear from you. OK seems to be doing well. Spring is here and humming birds are about.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:30 AM

140 posts, read 115,847 times
Quote:
Well figured I should bump this thread (in the midst of the corona virus craziness). I've been in talks with what seems like a very stable company in the OKC area and it's looking very likely we may come down for a visit (once the mandates lift) and I may do an in person interview, when possible.
Trust me you'll regret it

Few years ago, I met a family in Norman FRESH from New Jersey. Fast forward a few months later I ran into the dad of the family at Autozone. He said After a few months his family got tired of Oklahoma and moved back to New Jersey !! He was closing sale on his home and about to fly back to NJ himself LOL. You CAN'T make this stuff up folks

Old 04-22-2020, 07:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude.1984 View Post
Trust me you'll regret it

Few years ago, I met a family in Norman FRESH from New Jersey. Fast forward a few months later I ran into the dad of the family at Autozone. He said After a few months his family got tired of Oklahoma and moved back to New Jersey !! He was closing sale on his home and about to fly back to NJ himself LOL. You CAN'T make this stuff up folks
Dude, I don't mean to come off rude or condescending, but give it a rest man. I've noticed you're on like every other OKC thread trolling people with reasons why Oklahoma is a terrible place to live and maybe it is ...for you. Everyone is different. I've lived in two "IT" cities, places that are considered "cool", "hip", "exciting", etc and the thing is my wife and I have moved on. Chicago is a great place to live... If you're not concerned with insane taxes that never stop rising, a state with a financial junk rating, laws that are continually encroaching on personal freedoms, etc. There are far more people fleeing IL than OK, I can guarantee it. IL has serious issues that will not be resolved in the coming years and many many people are leaving for other places because it's pretty obvious. I know you're trying to offer your two cents and I appreciate that but it seems like you're laying it on way to thick or you have nothing better to do than to troll forums of places you used to live.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:46 PM

140 posts, read 115,847 times
Quote:
Dude, I don't mean to come off rude or condescending, but give it a rest man. I've noticed you're on like every other OKC thread trolling people with reasons why Oklahoma is a terrible place to live and maybe it is ...for you. Everyone is different. I've lived in two "IT" cities, places that are considered "cool", "hip", "exciting", etc and the thing is my wife and I have moved on. Chicago is a great place to live... If you're not concerned with insane taxes that never stop rising, a state with a financial junk rating, laws that are continually encroaching on personal freedoms, etc. There are far more people fleeing IL than OK, I can guarantee it. IL has serious issues that will not be resolved in the coming years and many many people are leaving for other places because it's pretty obvious. I know you're trying to offer your two cents and I appreciate that but it seems like you're laying it on way to thick or you have nothing better to do than to troll forums of places you used to live.

LOL trolling is NOT when giving actual information and events.

but as they say, Ignorance is bliss. Good luck

Old 04-23-2020, 01:18 AM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Dude, I don't mean to come off rude or condescending, but give it a rest man. I've noticed you're on like every other OKC thread trolling people with reasons why Oklahoma is a terrible place to live and maybe it is ...for you.
I have to admit, I love his stories. Everywhere he went people were mean to him and mistreated him when he was here. It's hard to imagine people not getting along with a congenial guy like Chicago Dude is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City