Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 01:52 PM

78 posts, read 104,875 times

Advertisements

I’ve been living in Austin for 2 years (not a Texas native) but because of Covid layoffs it’s looking more and more like we’re going to get uprooted to OKC. Now I’ve been to Oklahoma before so I already know that you’ve got tornadoes, red dirt and nice people, but what else is going on? How’s growth downtown? Any new companies moving in? I’m interested in growth and the future of the state. I liked living in Texas but Austin is a slow motion train wreck and I can’t even decide if I’m sad about leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 04:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
You'll enjoy the lower cost of living because a lot fewer people want to move to OKC than Austin.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:09 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
OKC is not full of transplants who think they are cool cats because they now live in Oklahoma City. To my of thinking, it's just a really big small town. It can provide basic stuff for you but doesn't really provide any elite world class type of offering.
But OKC grows slow enough that it doesn't seem like it has ever lost it's sense of place so to speak.

You can recognize it from one year to the next for the most part. Places like Austin have changed so much that they are to a great degree unrecognizable after only a short time.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
I’ve been living in Austin for 2 years (not a Texas native) but because of Covid layoffs it’s looking more and more like we’re going to get uprooted to OKC. Now I’ve been to Oklahoma before so I already know that you’ve got tornadoes, red dirt and nice people, but what else is going on? How’s growth downtown? Any new companies moving in? I’m interested in growth and the future of the state. I liked living in Texas but Austin is a slow motion train wreck and I can’t even decide if I’m sad about leaving.

You'll finally have the chance to cheer for a real college football program!

#Boomer

Welcome to the Great State of Oklahoma!

Old 06-25-2020, 09:51 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
You'll finally have the chance to cheer for a real college football program!

#Boomer

Welcome to the Great State of Oklahoma!
A real college football team? TWO real college football teams. Go Sooner and Cowboy

Old 06-25-2020, 04:12 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I will pray for you.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:09 PM

140 posts, read 115,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post

Well if you love dead end jobs and low wages then Oklahoma is a PERFECT fit for you

Old 06-26-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude.1984 View Post
Well if you love dead end jobs and low wages then Oklahoma is a PERFECT fit for you
We’ll be making 6 figures, does that make us okie royalty?

Old 06-26-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It can provide basic stuff for you but doesn't really provide any elite world class type of offering.
Neither does Austin realistically. And Dallas is about the same driving distance in between. A decent trade off in my book!

Old 07-01-2020, 01:06 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
I'm moving from San Antonio to Tulsa in a few months. I also lived in Austin for many years, until 2001. Tulsa is not as big as SA or Austin, but it has enough of the things I care about to keep me happy - good grocery stores, interesting restaurants, live music, great architecture, a decent hipster district, artsy stuff. It's a progressive city aggressively promoting growth (https://tulsaremote.com/). There's a lot of civic pride and investment from local leaders. It reminds me of Austin in the olden days. I'm looking forward to it.

I have no experience with OKC, but I hear it's bigger and more happening than Tulsa. It's fashionable in Texas to hate on Oklahoma, so just wanted to let you know you're not the only Texas resident looking to migrate northward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City