Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 01:11 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in smaller homes in Norman. I have previously enjoyed living near a large university, besides graduating from one 38 years ago. I liked shopping at Sprouts in Phoenix, and see there is one in Norman. Also, I like being able to do fun stuff without driving. What are the downsides of living in Norman, for a non student? Would I regret not living in OKC, instead? What would be the best alternative to Norman? Thx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 06:43 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Norman or OKC - you will need transportation.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Norman or OKC - you will need transportation.
Ever hear of www.walkscore.com? I was just looking at a place in Norman with a score of 85. Bike score is 98, which is exceptionally high.

Old 12-30-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Ever hear of www.walkscore.com? I was just looking at a place in Norman with a score of 85. Bike score is 98, which is exceptionally high.
As you are all over the map - best of luck.

Old 12-30-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
As you are all over the map - best of luck.
Don't know what that is suppose to mean. But it does seem like many feel the need to justify their own immobility.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:37 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Main downsides of Norman are traffic and traffic cops. The area around campus is lovely for the most part but you pay for the lovliness. The rest of town is kind of plain. Newer parts of town are entirely suburbanish.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Main downsides of Norman are traffic and traffic cops. The area around campus is lovely for the most part but you pay for the lovliness. The rest of town is kind of plain. Newer parts of town are entirely suburbanish.
How do you think it would compare to Lubbock?

Old 01-03-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
You may want to take a road trip. Comparing Lubbock to Norman is apples and oranges and some cow manure thrown into the mix.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:07 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
When I lived in Norman I first lived down by the Canadian river and enjoyed seeing all the Armadillos trotting around. So cute!

I later lived on the east side of town near a little shopping center and loved it. Very convenient.

It is certainly possible to live in Norman without a car.

But Norman now is just the southern part of the Oklahoma City megalopolis, so cars are pretty ubiquitous, as people commute hither and thither.

I enjoyed living in OK, but the poorly educated extremist religious right does have a stranglehold on state politics. Even Norman, though a University town, isn't as Blue as most such.

It is right in Tornado Alley. The town of Moore, known for frequently getting hit by tornadoes, is just up the road. For a while I lived in Norman and worked in Moore.

I've never lived in Lubbock but I've been there. Norman is hands down a nicer town with more options for activities because of the larger OKC urban area.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:03 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
LOL. The first place I ever lived outside of Oklahoma was Lubbock.

Norman is ten gazillion more times charming than Lubbock. It is ten gazillion more times quainter than Lubbock in it's core. Lubbock traffic moves faster but I didn't like that. Norman traffic moves SLOOOOW... and the cops make sure of that.

Norman doesn't seem like a little city like Lubbock does. It seems more like a small town that morphs into a suburb.

The area around the two Universities (Tech and OU) illustrate this more than anything. OU has narrow tree lined streets surrounding the campus with numerous stop lights to keep traffic slow and pedestrians safe.

Lubbock has 4th, 19th and University that carry lots of traffic, are all really wide and have people driving 50 miles an hour. the other "street" is Marsha Sharp HWY which is literally an interstate next to campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City