Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 AM

906 posts, read 1,813,589 times

Advertisements

"Groceries" is a very broad topic and one that can be hard to compare apples to apples. Talking about organic food or food with nutrients is just narrowing the scope, not getting off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 12:04 PM

32 posts, read 74,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
"Groceries" is a very broad topic and one that can be hard to compare apples to apples. Talking about organic food or food with nutrients is just narrowing the scope, not getting off topic.
It wasn't a problem when the scope was truly being narrowed, so as to compare "apples to apples". The problem is when ya'll started arguing about the merits of eating organic, or slamming the person who is willing to buy the off-brand Aldi foods. This isn't a discussion about which food is better. Go ahead and clarify which type of food you're talking about, then tell me where you have found it the cheapest. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 PM

817 posts, read 1,773,261 times
I'll stick with aldi being the cheapest overall, and BEST in Omaha for German imports (got to love the spekulatius around the holidays, nothing else like it), but always keep an eye on no frills (132nd center, which also has an aldi nearby). When they have a sale, it can be very good.

I myself live in FAR east Omaha and mix it up between aldi, bag 'n save, and no frills. I even go to the local oriental market as they have a ton of fresh veggies and stuff you just can't find anywhere else. Not sure where one would be out west, but I'm sure someone here knows.

Simply put, you will not find ONE store that is the cheapest all the time. So mix it up a bit. If I can do it on a bicycle I'm sure you can do it in a car (generalizing as you live in the west that you have a car, I know it's bad to generalize).

Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 AM

116 posts, read 282,461 times
I've cooked some really good stuff using ingredients that I've bought from Aldi's. And I like to believe that I have refined tastebuds.

But, I'll agree with Mountain if he is talking about the process foods. The generic frozen pizza rolls are way less flavorful than Totino's Pizza Rolls.

Last edited by Bugaha; 01-24-2012 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM

53 posts, read 235,410 times
I have shopped at many stores in Omaha and as far as price is concerned, I prefer to go with Target on L street. It is also never very busy there. Their prices are comparable to Wal-Mart but they give back to the community more. I can't compare to Costco since I have never been there.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM

181 posts, read 359,264 times
I just take all the sale ads to Wal Mart or No Frills and they match. Target matches but with limitations.

Overall some things are cheaper at store "a", others at store "b". A few cents here and there adds up, but to spend 60 cents of gas to save 4 cents apiece on 6 cans of tomato sauce is not good thinking.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 PM

92 posts, read 187,982 times
Are you expecting that there is some magical grocery store in western omaha where everything is cheaper than everywhere else?

Well, there isn't, because if there was, no other grocery store would exist. Do the leg work if you have tight budget. You'll have to look at sales, and go to the places that are cheapest for each of the specific items you want to buy. You may only want to do this for items you are buying in bulk, because with gas prices what they are, this approach probably isn't very cost-effective with what you would be saving by driving the distances.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 PM

92 posts, read 187,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4225 View Post
I have shopped at many stores in Omaha and as far as price is concerned, I prefer to go with Target on L street. It is also never very busy there. Their prices are comparable to Wal-Mart but they give back to the community more. I can't compare to Costco since I have never been there.
Depends on what you buy. I also live near that Target and love it. I love all the Archer Farms stuff they sell. Thats as good of a store brand as there is, although its priced like premium products instead of a store brand. But i'd say its worth it in most cases.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 407 times
Default Aldis

I respectfully disagree that Aldis has tasteless food. They have a large selection to choose from and you can't beat the prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: