Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 7,855 times

Advertisements

Just something to open up for conversation.

I live in Downtown Omaha - have lived in Omaha proper all my life. I work out west, but decided to make the move downtown as I do not have a vehicle and rely on public transportation to get around (shocking, I know), as well as the fact I am a young 25 year old female who likes nightlife (what little Omaha has to offer) as well as all the fun shops down in this part. Couple those two things together, and that's why I am now living down here.

But just the other day, I was looking around and I sort of realized I'm not too happy with how downtown is at the moment. I live a hop, skip, and a jump away from 16th street, and I find it a crying shame that that space isn't being utilized properly to attract more foot traffic, as well as local (or not local) businesses, because I could see it being a wonderful little place with all kinds of shop fronts lined up, and it would almost become as popular as the Old Market is. It's sad seeing so much of it boarded up, just like a lot of downtown is.

The over-abundance of parking I see also bothers me, especially the darn garages - space that could be used to build up more businesses.

Why does it seem that there are so few businesses that set up shop in downtown Omaha? With the exception of huge companies, I'm a bit sad that I don't see more smaller, local businesses down in these parts when I see a real promise for it. The Old Market is a given exception, of course, but that's just a small part of downtown.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM

63 posts, read 99,961 times
When I first saw 16th street, it reminded me a little of Paris. It should be full of thriving retail, restaurants, and culture. But it's where the thugs and homeless hang out, so it scares both businesses and customers with money. Open Door Mission dumps everyone off at the downtown library and they hang out between 16th street and Gene Leahy all day. And the low-income bus route has stops on 16th. It's a shame really.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:38 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,145 times
Metro has removed all but three bus routes from 16th when recently there was about 15. The city is also in the process of removing the wide sidewalks and putting in parking. It should come back to life within 10 years.

Once I was waiting for a bus and from the opposite corner some drunk/crazy dude chucked a half eaten apple at me for no reason. Stupid stuff like that comes from the homeless/drunk/crazy crowd that the Open Door Mission and Omaha Housing Authority bring to the area.

Downtown is just now transitioning out of an exclusively business hours place to be. Since the Century Link Center was built, that transition has begun. Give it time and it'll become what you're dreaming of.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,771 times
I have an even crazier story at probably that same bus stop several years ago. I stopped in the convenience store by the bus top on a Saturday around noon and about 5 or 6 street people were just hanging out at the bus stop and next thing I know I see this woman who was sloshed out of her mind pull down her pants right there in front of everyone, including her underwear. Then this guy next to her said "I asked her take off her pants but I didn't think she would do it".

Old 02-16-2016, 04:44 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,911 times
Downtown Omaha looks like a joke

compared to Downtown Denver

Downtown Omaha needs to be a little more like Regency or Village Pointe IMO

Old 02-16-2016, 05:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Downtown Omaha looks like a joke

compared to Downtown Denver

Downtown Omaha needs to be a little more like Regency or Village Pointe IMO
How is DTO supposed to be more like a suburban shopping center? That makes no sense.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
How is DTO supposed to be more like a suburban shopping center? That makes no sense.
a Light Rail System for downtown, more diversity in businesses

for starters

Old 02-20-2016, 11:37 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
a Light Rail System for downtown, more diversity in businesses

for starters
I'd be all for the light rail, but there is plenty of business diversity in DTO. What are you looking for specifically?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I'd be all for the light rail, but there is plenty of business diversity in DTO. What are you looking for specifically?
more Regency like shops

Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,330 times
I don't see any benefit for light rail in DTO unless it continues to west Omaha shopping and business hub areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: