Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 08:57 AM

737 posts, read 1,922,552 times

Advertisements

OK here we go........

Today 09/25/2016 was the Corporate Cup Run in the Aksarben Village in which we took place in the 2K walk.
Very nice morning cool, calm, good crowd and just a good day for a nice walk in Omaha.
So the finish line is set up going south toward the farmers market and the Arts Fair. You have to walk thru those areas to get to your car. We get finished about 8:25 a.m., hey let's pick up some veggies and spend some money on Eggrolls then cruse thru the arts fairs on the way out...........

Wrong!

We start our walk and shopping at the Farmers Market....hey look .50 cent bell pepperes i dig thru the pile pick two and hand the lady a dollar. "Sorry we cannot sell till 9:00"....WHAT!?!?
time was 8:30 a.m. ......

Alittle miffed I go to another vender about 5 doors down I want my peppers! Sorry cannot sell till 9:00...

Ok Ok then I pass by the maple surup guy giving out samples.......try a sample then tell him I want the 30.00 bottle........he looks at me and says cannot sell til 9:00 I say showed the money and said really? He would not sell cannot sell 8:35 a.m. I said I'm not waiting..........no sale.

Come to find out the City Omaha had a rule in place that the farmers market and the Arts fair could sell till 9:00 a.m. and 10;00 a.m.

With 8-10 thousand people walking thru an event you think they would lift the no sell ban for one day. Many vendors were pissed watching potential sales just walk away. how many thousands of dollar were lost because of a mismanagement of time.

Ok I'm done.

P.S. Don't get me started on the Rick's Boat Yard debockle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 12:31 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,754,695 times
I have no idea what's going on in Nebraska, but the entire state seems very reluctant to legislative change and seems almost as controlling as states in the Northeast.

I tried to get my Missouri teaching certification converted to Nebraska a few years ago and they pretty much told me that it was not possible because I had obtained my certification through an alternative program. Interestingly enough, Texas gave me another license with almost no additional requirements.

Also, the tax rates are crazy in the state. The property taxes in Texas are high, but we do not have income tax to make up for it.

But Nebraska is rated as one of the happiest states in the US, so clearly they are doing something right.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:37 PM

10,386 posts, read 8,057,423 times
Good rant! I understand why the city legislates opening hours for markets and art fairs, but you'd think that for a one-day special event they'd bend the rules.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,622 times
Those farmers and sales people are going to sell out of all of their produce whether or not they can sell it to you at 8:35am. Maybe the Corp Cup run should have altered their time period so that it would have a positive effect on the neighboring businesses. Or you should have just walked slower...

Old 09-30-2016, 12:15 PM

14,580 posts, read 23,144,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Good rant! I understand why the city legislates opening hours for markets and art fairs, but you'd think that for a one-day special event they'd bend the rules.
I agree. This seems like a time they could have bent the rules.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:07 PM

147 posts, read 269,507 times
Hawaii.
Colorado.
Minnesota.
Utah.
Vermont.
Nebraska.
Montana.
New Hampshire.

Looks about right....

Old 11-10-2016, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
OK here we go........

Today 09/25/2016 was the Corporate Cup Run in the Aksarben Village in which we took place in the 2K walk.
Very nice morning cool, calm, good crowd and just a good day for a nice walk in Omaha.
So the finish line is set up going south toward the farmers market and the Arts Fair. You have to walk thru those areas to get to your car. We get finished about 8:25 a.m., hey let's pick up some veggies and spend some money on Eggrolls then cruse thru the arts fairs on the way out...........

Wrong!

We start our walk and shopping at the Farmers Market....hey look .50 cent bell pepperes i dig thru the pile pick two and hand the lady a dollar. "Sorry we cannot sell till 9:00"....WHAT!?!?
time was 8:30 a.m. ......

Alittle miffed I go to another vender about 5 doors down I want my peppers! Sorry cannot sell till 9:00...

Ok Ok then I pass by the maple surup guy giving out samples.......try a sample then tell him I want the 30.00 bottle........he looks at me and says cannot sell til 9:00 I say showed the money and said really? He would not sell cannot sell 8:35 a.m. I said I'm not waiting..........no sale.

Come to find out the City Omaha had a rule in place that the farmers market and the Arts fair could sell till 9:00 a.m. and 10;00 a.m.

With 8-10 thousand people walking thru an event you think they would lift the no sell ban for one day. Many vendors were pissed watching potential sales just walk away. how many thousands of dollar were lost because of a mismanagement of time.

Ok I'm done.

P.S. Don't get me started on the Rick's Boat Yard debockle.
During the Christmas season, people may stand in a crowd in front of a store several hours before the store opens. A store will not start selling to these people before the store opens. This situation is no different. Stop crying.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,565 times
Vendors have no obligation to sell to you. You're acting like it's your God given right to buy bell peppers.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 PM

737 posts, read 1,922,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocoladefabriken View Post
Vendors have no obligation to sell to you. You're acting like it's your God given right to buy bell peppers.

Darn tooting it's my right. I want my peppers now.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:04 PM

226 posts, read 579,241 times
I've heard surprising stories in Omaha about their big public events, and them changing everything around with no justified reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: