Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 10:57 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Dealing with humidity in the gulf South is simple. Keep your house ice cold in the summer and when you go outside, it feels amazing, like being under a warm heat lamp. Basically you go from your ice cold house to your ice cold car to your ice cold office (etc), with some nice outside warm air in between, and it's fine.

In terms of going out for walks etc, what I do is pack on the sunscreen, put on my earbuds, put on light jogging clothes, and approach it like I'm going for a sauna. I can walk for two hours and because of the sunscreen the heat doesn't bother me. You're drenched but it's fine because it's a work out.

Where it's an issue is if you keep your house warm in the summer to save on the A/C bill, and then you step outside into the humidity, particularly if you're wearing pants and a button down shirt etc. Then you're going to sweat probably.

But from late-September to early June the weather is nice in the South. I like cool temps myself. With cold weather (highs below 50) I like it in spurts here and there and then to return to the 50s.
That's a matter of opinion. The problem with southern low latitude climates is the brutal intense sun angle combined with the heat and humidity. Also, the cost to run the AC in terms of electricity prices every month is getting much worse over time in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 07:54 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
With a budget of 1.5 million for a house, I highly recommend Ventura County in California (preferably the community of Thousand Oaks). Your property taxes won’t go higher than 1% a year. As for income taxes I would believe they wouldn’t be worse than Nebraska, and your weather concerns are solved.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Why are you responding to three yr old thread just to trash places ? Also stay in Nebraska we are already very full in Florida. Fly over country isn’t a very nice stereotype either so maybe we should learn how not be so judgmental.
And you yourself are responding as well, while doing the same thing you accuse atler8 for... atler8 contributed very useful information to consider because there are many problems people overlook in the south, for those of us looking for stable places.

As for going to hurricane county, no thanks; hows the recent damage of hurricane Ian treating you? Also, believe me, us Omahans have few desire to live in a place that is good superficially and is a magnet for New Yorkers and Los Angeles transplants; as well as a magnet for the typical tourist congesting your streets.

Fly over country is a great filter, to filter out people with superficial needs and keeps both Iowa and Nebraska the "fields of opportunity" and "the good life". With prosperity index for Nebraska at 11 and Iowa prosperity index 12. While the prosperity index of Florida is 31 and California at 28, which is at least better than poor states in the south.

Here in Omaha we have plenty of flight paths to Florida (more than any other state), so we may not like living in Florida and dealing with your problems but we love going as tourists to Florida, with our income that is quite cozy, since our income goes farther than other places.

What's funny is that despite Omaha being in flyover country, we see countless Florida license plates driving in our streets, much more than other states' license plates from the South; which most likely are people living in the long term.

Last edited by magnumxxl; 12-12-2022 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-17-2022, 09:35 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Why are you responding to three yr old thread just to trash places ? Also stay in Nebraska we are already very full in Florida. Fly over country isn’t a very nice stereotype either so maybe we should learn how not be so judgmental.
Who cares how old a thread is. The questions are still relevent, and people will still click on this thread for answers, and updates. People are migrating, and want to be informed.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:52 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I've done extensive traveling for business and for personal reasons. All 50 states have been visited. I don't live in Omaha, I live in Eastern Nebraska, but I was raised in Omaha. Every place I visited, I looked at it as a possible retirement location. After 40 years of this, I retired and decided that there was no place comparable to Nebraska. I'm retired here.

Ask any police officer and they will tell you that crime is prevalent in warmer months and climates. The cold keeps crime low.

What most don't know is that the only area the comparable to Omaha but yet has a warmer climate is Rapid City SD. Yes they are warmer then here.

Nebraska isn't for everyone, (I heard that somewhere).

Not even close. Rapid City has an extremely high crime rate especially the further north you go closer to the rez. The mug shots of most are from there. Alcohol, and hard drugs are a bad problem.

And it isn't warmer, not really. We just got out of a 3 1/2 day blizzard. The next 6 days the HIGHS will be 9, 3, -1, -1, -12, and -2. And it isn't even winter yet, lol. Nope, not what the OP asked for. Even though they may be long gone it could help someone else.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:14 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Not even close. Rapid City has an extremely high crime rate especially the further north you go closer to the rez. The mug shots of most are from there. Alcohol, and hard drugs are a bad problem.

And it isn't warmer, not really. We just got out of a 3 1/2 day blizzard. The next 6 days the HIGHS will be 9, 3, -1, -1, -12, and -2. And it isn't even winter yet, lol. Nope, not what the OP asked for. Even though they may be long gone it could help someone else.
So true and Thank you.
I often get tempted to move back to snow country, but with a reminder of reality as far as temps. It just helped me, I'm not going to do that.

Old 10-19-2023, 03:15 PM

286 posts, read 535,403 times
Don't move to CA. Schools are 47th in the country and thanks to the governor, kids can get away with bad behavior on the classroom without consequences.
CA is very expensive in everything. Highest taxes in the country. Regular gas is $6.00 per gallon now.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
Don't move to CA. Schools are 47th in the country and thanks to the governor, kids can get away with bad behavior on the classroom without consequences.
CA is very expensive in everything. Highest taxes in the country. Regular gas is $6.00 per gallon now.
Or...
Home school
Live rural (far north preferably)
Brew your own fuel

Avoid the nannies. (whether in NE or CA). They're everywhere - even in Texas.

During your earning years.... An income tax free state is preferred, or better yet... A US protectorate. (Lots of warm weather choices)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: