Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,091,337 times

Advertisements

problem is, as the democrat party has tended to do in the past...they never actually get the drowning folks out of the water...but instead string them along, dependent upon them.

At some point you need to make them stand on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:04 PM

240 posts, read 505,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
problem is, as the democrat party has tended to do in the past...they never actually get the drowning folks out of the water...but instead string them along, dependent upon them.

At some point you need to make them stand on their own.

does that "standing on their own" include raising minimum wage so that people can get off welfare ?

or sponsoring affordable preschool programs ?

both of which are constantly opposed by the republican party.

republicans have a way of just addressing the first layer of a problem without looking at causes and ways to improve the problem.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That's whats great about this country--we get to vote.

Unfortunately, some folks tend to vote w/out thinking. Ultimately, your vote is your vote, and don't let me or anyone tell you who to vote for.

But I was curious if the people voting know why they're voting for their guy.

Does this apply to you since you didn't know that the guy on your yard sign (Bob Barr) wants to get out of Iraq faster than Obama ? Hardly a minor issue.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
Does this apply to you since you didn't know that the guy on your yard sign (Bob Barr) wants to get out of Iraq faster than Obama ? Hardly a minor issue.

I'm ashamed to say that yes--it did. Now that I know the sign is gone from my yard.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I'm ashamed to say that yes--it did. Now that I know the sign is gone from my yard.
See, we all pick and choose a little bit with all the news sources out there, but I agree with you that it is important to have a grasp of the real stances and goals of each canidate and not the media soundbites or empty smears that come and go each day.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Agreed.

But since you guys now know what Obama is about (like I know what Barr stands for), why continue to support him?

He is nothing but a pretty smile and a nice voice. He has 2 years of senate experience. woo hoo.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 PM

516 posts, read 1,341,215 times
Quote:
Agreed.

But since you guys now know what Obama is about (like I know what Barr stands for), why continue to support him?

He is nothing but a pretty smile and a nice voice. He has 2 years of senate experience. woo hoo.
Not much talk on this discussion has been devoted to what Obama is about actually. Most has centered around Nancy Pelosi (who I DID get to vote for actually...along with 80% of the San Francisco voters. If I remember correctly currently her main opponent in the next election is Cindy Sheehan).

Here is a funny quote for you:

"The Republican Party has done an excellent job at painting Nancy Pelosi as a crazy San Francisco liberal, but compared to Cindy Sheehan - Nancy Pelosi looks like a sweet little moderate from Nebraska."

Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post

"The Republican Party has done an excellent job at painting Nancy Pelosi as a crazy San Francisco liberal, but compared to Cindy Sheehan - Nancy Pelosi looks like a sweet little moderate from Nebraska."

You'll get no argument whatsoever from me on that one.

I guess the biggest reason that I keep mentioning Pelosi is because Obama voted democrat 96% of the time. He just does not ever go against the democrat leadership. I distrust a guy that doesn't show the ability to think for himself when it comes to politics.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,629,203 times
As I've said before if he's a Democrat what is wrong with voting along the lines of the party you chose to join?????? You're elected to vote on which party you are with. If you don't want to be accused of being a die hard party member then be independent.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Because I'd rather have the candidate I vote for make decisions than his party's leadership?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: