Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:12 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,624,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind9 View Post
Are there any CBA or Nba Developmental leagues? What are the popular sports that people watch there? You people have been so helpful so far, thank you.
There is no CBA or NBADL. I think we've got something better in Creighton Basketball though. There are some NBA exhibition games here.

We also have Knights hockey which is the AHL team for the NHL's Calgary Flames.

Omaha also has baseball. The Omaha Royals are the minor leauge team for the KC Royals. They play at Rosenblatt Stadium which is also the home for the College World Series.

The NCAA 1st/2nd round games are being held here next year as well as the 2008 Olympic Swim Trials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 PM

268 posts, read 1,196,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind9 View Post
Are there any CBA or Nba Developmental leagues? What are the popular sports that people watch there? You people have been so helpful so far, thank you.
Football, football, football!! Creighton basketball has been all over the news w/ Dana Altmans move to Arkansas and then right back to Creighton the next day...

Old 04-04-2007, 03:14 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,204,787 times
Default ...

Also got the 2008 olympic swim trials
the Omaha beef which is a UIF league (I think Omaha could do AFL2 easy though)
Also has the 1st and 2nd round of NCAA men's basketball tournament for the 2008 season, also the 2008 NCAA Volleyball National championships..
The top concerts come to the Qwest Center (ranked #8 in the world for concert ticket sales in 2005 and top 20 yearly)
Omaha gets the top traveling performing shows like Cirque du solei or however you spell that...
Gets WWE Raw and Smack down most years (if you like that)
Monster Truck shows if you like that
Minnesota Timberwolves plays here sometimes
Council Bluffs stole the Lancers which is a hockey team that is for kids trying to get into college
Creighton Basketball which ranks in the top 15 for attendance nationally for NCAA basketball
Husker football which has had consequtive sellouts since 196? something, and has a stadium capacity of about 85,000 which is just a 40 minute drive from Omaha
NCAA College World Series every year.
blah blah blah.... should I continue??

Old 04-04-2007, 05:37 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,016,750 times
Omaha is a very nice city. I'm actually moving there this summer from Lincoln. As far as flight goes, well, I don't think Omaha has much of it. Most of the time an area of a city is "blighted" to receive tax incentive financing for incoming businesses. This has been used a lot in the city of Lincoln and I know it has at least somewhat in Omaha. It certainly doesn't mean that area is necessarily run down or decrepit.

I will say that Omaha is quite a bit more metropolitan than Sioux Falls or Bismarck. I would probably compare Lincoln to those cities. Omaha has more of a bigger city feel to it and is probably better described as a smaller version of Kansas City (or at least that's my take). That said, its not an overwhelming "big city" feel. To me, its just about right. Its big enough to get the positives and small enough to keep many of the negative big city aspects from coming in. For one, as mentioned by some others, its very easy to get around. In fact, its just as easy to get around in Omaha as it is in Lincoln and Omaha is about 4 times the size of Lincoln. Omaha has an excellent road and freeway system and it makes travel efficient.

Looks like most people covered most of your questions. I'm not an expert on daycare but I know a friend of mine paid about $600/month at one place. However, from what i understand, that was quite expensive for Omaha, so that shouldn't be used as the standard.

Don't forget the Henry Doorly Zoo! I haven't seen that one mentioned by others yet. Its continually rated as the 2nd best zoo in the country...next to the San Diego zoo.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:47 AM

I was driving around 6th street south of Little italy and the whole area for a few hours a few weeks ago and I was shocked to see how well the area has been kept up, it looks like most areas of Omaha are in fact clean and taken care of

Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 PM

158 posts, read 1,086,438 times
Default Little Italy?

Tell me a little about Little Italy.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Default ...

Little Italy is an area of Omaha just south of Dowtown with awesome views, the homes range from older nice cheaper homes, to more expensive older homes, to new town houses and rowhousing with apartments in the area...
Alot of history and an awesome view of the skyline, depending on which part of the area your in. Sokol underground is very close by... Alot of history in this area..

Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 PM

217 posts, read 892,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycoleslaw View Post
Hello...I gotta laugh at asking Matt to stay away!!
I'm in Elkhorn which is about a 15 minute drive to Oakview. My daughter goes to Building Blocks preschool 3 mornings a week from 9:00-11:30 and I pay $90/month. I can't help you with call centers. I used to work at one which was around 90th and Maple which is about a 20 minute drive from me.
Also can't help w/ daycare prices as I'm a SAHM. Let me know if you get the job and I can assist you however I can in your relocation.
I am relocating as well to the Pacific Northwest but will miss this area. It truly is very family friendly and a great place to raise kids! Good luck!!!!

Holy cow! 90 bucks a month! I found a deal at 125 bucks amonth for the same amount of time. That would be unheard of here.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 AM

482 posts, read 2,229,027 times
Here is a web site that you can go to and see what we have here in Nebraska. I will tell you that outside of Huskers, other college, high school and youth sports we don't have much in the line of professional sports. They did have a semi-pro basketball league with a team in Lincoln, but I think that ended a few years ago for lack of fans. You have the Kansas City Royals and Kansas City Chiefs just a few hours south of Omaha and I think they have some other minor league teams in the area as well.

http://elsurfo.com/sports/ne.htm

Old 04-06-2007, 08:31 AM

268 posts, read 1,196,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debct View Post
Holy cow! 90 bucks a month! I found a deal at 125 bucks amonth for the same amount of time. That would be unheard of here.
Yup~ $90! I'm going to miss that out in the Northwest. I'm researching there and finding it's normal to pay over $200 for 3 mornings of pre-school. It's crazy!!! My daughter might just have to stay home with me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha