Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,906,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Are people that "feel" oppressed always oppressed?
Does an oppressed who falls over in the woods make noise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:16 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,424,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Feeling oppressed by people "whining" about being oppressed is rather narrow-minded actually. And offensive.
This doesn't even make sense...

No, Stacy "from Cali" (no self-respecting Californian would use the term "Cali"), what is narrow-minded is reducing a person to his or her sexual orientation as the defining characteristic of that person, and making everything an issue about that orientation.

Apparently that's too difficult for you to grasp.

Why don't people who feel oppressed reach out and mentor disadvantaged students, rather than wallow in how oppressed they are? That would make a much better impression on people.

Because you have a habit of making incorrect assumptions, let me state I have gay friends and a lesbian cousin IN IOWA who is a professor, and you would not immediately know it because she does not broadcast I'M A LESBIAN. Neither does she hide it.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM

516 posts, read 1,340,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
This doesn't even make sense...

No, Stacy "from Cali" (no self-respecting Californian would use the term "Cali"), what is narrow-minded is reducing a person to his or her sexual orientation as the defining characteristic of that person, and making everything an issue about that orientation.

Apparently that's too difficult for you to grasp.

Why don't people who feel oppressed reach out and mentor disadvantaged students, rather than wallow in how oppressed they are? That would make a much better impression on people.

Because you have a habit of making incorrect assumptions, let me state I have gay friends and a lesbian cousin IN IOWA who is a professor, and you would not immediately know it because she does not broadcast I'M A LESBIAN. Neither does she hide it.
There is a difference between you or I essentializing an individual based on a single characteristic, and that individual choosing to make that single characteristic a focus of their energies or identity. That is what self-identity and activism is all about.

How on earth would helping disadvantaged students change the current anti-gay laws in Nebraska? That is silly.

On the other hand there are teachers who make social justice more broadly defined a large part of their curriculum. This I can relate to (having done it myself for years) and it is very effective. But the only way it can be done is to focus on oppression and analyze why it happens, to whom and what can be done to change it. For me the real focus is on the last criteria.

Oh crap, you mean I'm not a self-respecting Californian? I guess I had better stay in Nebraska and hide...Nah. I'm outta here in three short weeks! "cause I'm goin' back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali...I'm goin back to Cali..."

Am I the only eighties relic that remembers that song?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,906,741 times
Quote:

Oh crap, you mean I'm not a self-respecting Californian? I guess I had better stay in Nebraska and hide...Nah. I'm outta here in three short weeks! "cause I'm goin' back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali...I'm goin back to Cali..."

Am I the only eighties relic that remembers that song?
Big Pun or Biggie Smalls? Idk, I remember that song and I'm a 90's relic.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,733,662 times
Quote:
Are you moving back, or just going for a visit?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,205,328 times
Default ...

I think everybody forgot that America cannot be called a free country 'unless' we ban gay marriage... duh..

Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM

516 posts, read 1,340,145 times
Quote:
Are you moving back, or just going for a visit?
Moving back. The job gods smiled upon us.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Moving back. The job gods smiled upon us.
Congrats! Didn't you say your hubby is a Professor at UNO?

Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I think everybody forgot that America cannot be called a free country 'unless' we ban gay marriage... duh..
Ummmmmmmm... Huhh?

Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,205,328 times
Quote:
Ummmmmmmm... Huhh?
Rush said it best! If we are not allowed to have the freedom to restrict people from their lifestyles and beliefs then we truly do not live in a free country..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha