Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,514,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurywaters View Post
i think i should add that i grew up in washington d.c. and spent 8 years in baltimore, so my perception of a bad area may be a little different than what you're all thinking. I lived in a "bad" area in charlotte for 3 years and never knew it. haha. you've all given me tons of info to think about. Thank you very much! I'll be planning a trip to check out the city soon. I'll have to investigate the zoning and accesibility options too. those are good points.
I currently live in the DC area. The neighborhoods I mentioned in my previous post would remind you of Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Cleveland Park, Palisades, Tacoma Park, Cathedral Heights, Silver Spring, Carter Baron, Mount Pleasant, and similar neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 111,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I currently live in the DC area. The neighborhoods I mentioned in my previous post would remind you of Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Cleveland Park, Palisades, Tacoma Park, Cathedral Heights, Silver Spring, Carter Baron, Mount Pleasant, and similar neighborhoods.

ok. great point of reference. that helps a lot!! Thank You!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 PM

187 posts, read 665,290 times
Please don't bash me for saying this, but the only place where I truly felt uncomfortable being in was the Near North Side neighborhood.

I love north Omaha though. I've been up there many times and used to drive up 30th quite a bit. The rest of the neighborhoods in Omaha are just fine. I would not hesitate to drive through Midtown, downtown, or even north Omaha at night; never had trouble whatsoever.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM

14,572 posts, read 23,122,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajosh618 View Post
Please don't bash me for saying this, but the only place where I truly felt uncomfortable being in was the Near North Side neighborhood.

I love north Omaha though. I've been up there many times and used to drive up 30th quite a bit. The rest of the neighborhoods in Omaha are just fine. I would not hesitate to drive through Midtown, downtown, or even north Omaha at night; never had trouble whatsoever.
I grew up in North Omaha too, 41st and Ames to be exact. It wasn't a great neighborhood when I lived there, but I wasn't afraid for my safety either.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 AM

704 posts, read 1,876,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Here is what to do it is very simple, get a map of Omaha, draw a line from the top north side down along 72nd street to the south and another line from left the west side to the right east along Dodge Street. Now you have the city divided into four sections. Don't buy any property in upper right section or the lower right sections "Bad areas". The upper left section is so so. The lower left section is where you want to look for good safe area of town. Good property values.

Now I am sure folks on here will dis my directions to you, but I always tell the truth on here and folks on here get their hackles up when talking about Omaha this way. Just listen to me and you'll do just fine.

wrong, couldn't be more wrong.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 AM

704 posts, read 1,876,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphic Artist 2008 View Post
How about the areas between 72-50th near center? Seems a bit older, but safe and has some character. I'm open to thoughts as I don't really know and have lived in Omaha a short time, but want to buy my first home before Nov 30, 2009

I think that's a great area.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:15 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,733,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I think that's a great area.
That's what I was thinking.

Though I'm not intimately familiar with it, I know that Aksarben Village is going up, it's close to the Interstate, etc. I've heard nothing bad about it at all, and the neighborhoods look pretty nice.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 PM

737 posts, read 1,920,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurywaters View Post
i think i should add that i grew up in washington d.c. and spent 8 years in baltimore, so my perception of a bad area may be a little different than what you're all thinking. I lived in a "bad" area in charlotte for 3 years and never knew it. haha. you've all given me tons of info to think about. Thank you very much! I'll be planning a trip to check out the city soon. I'll have to investigate the zoning and accesibility options too. those are good points.

Give me a call when you get in, I'll give you a tour Of Omaha and show you first hand what I am talking about.

I'll even spring for lunch.

Do some research on a few towns around Omaha IE; Papillion, Lavista, Gretna,
Bennington and Council Bluffs, IA .
Reason I tell you this is becasue the Taxes are high in Omaha and are going to be raised here real soon. Did you here about the new Omaha Sewer Tax? an extra 50.00 a month to revamp the broken down sewer system paid by all property owners. That is on top of everything else.

P.M. me

Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,704,583 times
Thank you Jim Suttle for "Lowering" our property taxes, why oh why did we elect him?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 AM

737 posts, read 1,920,989 times
Oh Yeah.... did you hear about the summer we had last year?

A murder everyday of the summer in 2008........North Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha