Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,547,326 times

Advertisements

MAT route trims Bellevue service
By Leia Mendoza
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
« Metro/RegionRSS SHARE
Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter PRINT EMAIL
Aaron Ham doesn't know what he's going to do come April 24.

That's when Metro Area Transit's Route 17 bus will make its last stop in front of the former Southroads Mall in Bellevue. It's one of a handful of changes coming to MAT bus service.

Linda Barritt, a MAT spokeswoman, said the Route 17 service between Metro Community College in south Omaha and the Southroads is being discontinued. She said it will be the first time in about 35 years that Bellevue riders won't have fixed service across county lines.

“We talked to Bellevue (officials), and they felt the ridership just isn't there right now,” Barritt said. “There are very few trips taken on that route.”

Advertising
Gary Troutman, Bellevue's city administrator, was unavailable to comment Thursday. The City of Bellevue contracts with MAT to provide bus service.

Ham, a 34-year-old Bellevue resident, said he relies on Route 17 daily to get him to his classes at Metro and to run errands. He's epileptic and can't drive.

“This definitely upsets me,” he said. “I do need the bus to get around.

“It's not a busy route by any means, but it's a necessary one.”

Barritt said Ham could use Route 95, an express route that runs between downtown Omaha and Bellevue, making stops near the Southroads. However, it runs only during the early-morning and after-work rush hours. Route 17 stops at the Southroads every hour.

Barritt said MAT is working to have Route 95 include stops at Metro to give riders more options.

Ham has sent a letter voicing his concerns to the Bellevue City Council. He hopes council members see the need for Route 17.

Meanwhile, not all bus riders are going to be displeased with the upcoming changes. MAT also plans changes to some routes that will make crossing Omaha quicker and easier.

Here are those changes, effective April 25:

ŸRoutes 3 and 5, which Barritt called the most significant changes, will offer riders “a straight shot from north Omaha to south Omaha without having to transfer, but also provides connections for multidirectional travel.” Barritt said this will be convenient for riders who want to go farther without transferring.

“It's kind of like taking out the middle man,” she said. “There hasn't been a route like that in the MAT system for close to 20 years.”

ŸRoute 25 will be “filling up a gap” by serving areas no longer covered because of changes to Route 3.

ŸRoute 32/40 becomes Route 32. One of the improvements is weekday, midday service to Westgate in both directions between 72nd and Spring Streets and Bergan Mercy Medical Center. During weekday peak hours, Route 32 service will follow the Westgate and 72nd Street routes to and from Bergan Mercy. Segments of Route 40 will be covered with changes to Routes 3, 7, 9 and 17.

ŸThe gap between Route 13 Sunday service buses will shrink to 90 minutes from two hours.

Ÿ Route 9 will now serve Omaha's VA Medical Center near 42nd and Center Streets.

Ÿ Routes 1, 7 and 8 will have minor changes.

New schedules with maps will be available online at MAT 2009 on April 1.

http://omaha.com/article/20100312/NE...llevue-service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 AM

btw, there is still another bus route for sarpy county besides 17 and the two express routes

route 48 Route 48 (http://metroareatransit.com/html/rt48_4-09T.html - broken link)

I am not blaming OWH for this missing info

I think MAT bus likely forgot to tell the OWH about route 48 that goes around bryan high
and 36th and chandler road during the week

and if they are having 5 and 3 interlock, does that mean that route 5 will finally run on sundays, or will the sunday bus service for route 3 be dis-solved

Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 PM

anyone hears they are going to have either the 5 or 3 routes going

from westroads to 108th and harrison starting next month

someone told me that route 25 will be taking over for route 3

cause route 3 might be going from westroads to 108th and harrison

does anyone have any info on that

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-21-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Metro Area Transit (http://metroareatransit.com/html/bus_system_4_25-2010.html - broken link)

new routes

http://metroareatransit.com/images/3...GRY_4-2010.jpg (new number 3) I like the 3 cause it goes down 42nd now to metro college

5 route Route 5 (http://metroareatransit.com/html/rt5_4-10S.html - broken link)

great new route. goes to 99th and harrison street

still sucks the route dont run on sunday.

for the mon-sat. route and they dont have it run on sundays

7 and 8 have some slight changes to time which is okay

9 and 32 looks good

and 13 is good though the system for the 13 on sundays still isnt as good as during the wek

17 is staying but the 40 is history

route 25 will go near benson high and go between there and metro area transit center

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-27-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha