Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 16,687 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So I just landed my dream job with Blizzard Entertainment here in Irvine, and now that the wheels are starting to turn I am looking for some advice before I set up residence (from Phx,AZ) in sunny CA!

Before I start, I want to preface by saying I have a quite a few friends in and around the LA area and they told me that Irvine is essentially one giant business park, with low crime and a generally higher education (given the campuses as well) and that this is going to drive up the rate on rent/housing significantly...

Good lord were they right. I was looking for a place within.. around 5-10(tops) miles near work and ... $1500 for a 1bed/bath 750sqft was just obscene! I guess this has something to do the monopoly the Irvine Apartment Company runs on everything? Idk, but I don't want, or rather, wouldn't like, such a large amount of my income going to rent. However it didn't really look like I had much of a choice.
I looked nearby, in Lake Forest, Mission Viejo and even a little into Tustin and it just didn't look like I was going to get off the hook that easy. If I can chop the rent by about ~$250 by looking a bit further, it translates into more driving(traffic), which as I'm sure you can all testify is an additional cost. There is no such traffic like LA traffic here in Phx, even during rush hour.
If I can find a place within, 3-4 miles, that would be great - even biking to work is an option.

So essentially I'm either looking at, an arm and a leg for rent in Irvine or a bit less but more commuting in surrounding areas.

Does anyone have any input on this - could there be other alternatives that I am overlooking?
In addition to this, do you have any tips for making the move out here - or just general OC living!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 102,860 times
OMG... I just posted a new thread that basically asks the same question but targeting homeownership instead of rental. I'll keep my eyes open on this thread for suggestions.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:02 PM

84 posts, read 175,987 times
OC sticker shock is pretty common for people that relocate to this area. I'm currently living in one of those brutally overpriced apartments in Irvine that you mention ($1625 for a 670 sqft apartment.... yeah I know), mainly because me and my wife both work in Irvine so our commutes are pretty much nonexistent. We were willing to pay a premium to avoid the commute after wasting hours of our life (and sanity) driving from Fullerton every day. Irvine/Aliso also seem to be the hub for tech jobs in Orange County, so even when I job hop in the coming years for career advancement I'll probably still be working in the area.

You can find places in the $1200-$1300 range if you're willing to drive a bit and live in more "attainable" cities such as Costa Mesa, Santa Ana or Anaheim, but it seems like rent prices even in those places are skyrocketing every time I look. I like Tustin a lot too, but like you said it isn't much cheaper than Irvine these days. I've lived in a couple different places in Anaheim, and it really isn't that bad depending on the area. Obviously Irvine is a lot cleaner and safer, but its also seriously lacking in terms of nightlife and you pay a premium for it.

You pretty much have to choose between driving more or paying more.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille1984 View Post
You pretty much have to choose between driving more or paying more.
Looks like it may just come down to this after all!

I appreciate all the info, thank you.

I'm in between these two places. I haven't called or gone down to look at either of them yet - but I imagine it's fast approaching within the next few weeks or so.

(IAC owned, ew) Woodbridge Willows - just 2.5 miles from work!
Pricier rent options
https://www.irvinecompanyapartments....ridge-willows/

And then there's Spring Lakes, out in Lake Forest still only 5.5 miles from the campus.
A bit less expensive.
Spring Lakes Apartment Homes Apartments - Lake Forest, CA 92630 | Apartments for Rent

Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM

109 posts, read 142,412 times
If you really love to bike, then I'd go with the Lake Forest apartments. You'd definitely get in some good exercise everyday.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:38 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,550,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar93 View Post
Looks like it may just come down to this after all!

I appreciate all the info, thank you.

I'm in between these two places. I haven't called or gone down to look at either of them yet - but I imagine it's fast approaching within the next few weeks or so.

(IAC owned, ew) Woodbridge Willows - just 2.5 miles from work!
Pricier rent options
https://www.irvinecompanyapartments....ridge-willows/

And then there's Spring Lakes, out in Lake Forest still only 5.5 miles from the campus.
A bit less expensive.
Spring Lakes Apartment Homes Apartments - Lake Forest, CA 92630 | Apartments for Rent

I would look at the reviews online for both. Neither complex gets very good reviews although Woodbridge is slightly better. You should look for rooms to rent on Craigslist. Better off to get into a house than a tiny apartment. When I first moved to OC 8 years ago I found a great deal. A room in a huge house with the owner who was always gone. Had the house pretty much to myself for less than a little apartment. Deals are out there.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM

I saw Woodbridge had far better reviews on Yelp than its Lake Forest contender.
Regardless, I'll need to scope out the area once I make the trip down.

Anything within 5 miles, I've decided.. if I can choose to bike to work and have it take only 20-30 minutes each day, I'm going for it. I also just like the choice of not having to drive if I don't want to.

I'm not saying it's out of the question but I would feel uncomfortable renting a room in someone's home. I think you may have had a pretty sweet deal there, but who can say if that's representative of the whole renting a room scene out in OC :-p

Old 02-04-2015, 10:31 PM

30 posts, read 41,854 times
OP, what position did you land at Blizzard if you don't mind... Just wondering if you got the position I applied for lol

As for where to live, I'd suggest south of Irvine so the commute isn't as congested. So lake Forest, mission viejo maybe?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocGuy714 View Post
OP, what position did you land at Blizzard if you don't mind... Just wondering if you got the position I applied for lol

As for where to live, I'd suggest south of Irvine so the commute isn't as congested. So lake Forest, mission viejo maybe?
QA Analyst, back in July. 3 interviews, rather long process, but 100% worth it, right?

I've been checking Lake Forest, some in MV. Like I mentioned earlier, 1-5 miles is kind of the dealbreaker and anything over $1600/mo is something I don't think I'm sold on.
In addition I've extended my search to some condos, outside of 'strictly' apartments. Not much luck but it's worth broadening the search.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,304,396 times
if you can have flexi time, better rent in anaheim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County