Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 27,963 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to CA and are trying to figure out which area is the best fit for our family of 4. Kids are 9yrs and 20yrs.

We are considering Aliso Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita but would also be open to consider other areas such as Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Ladera Ranch, or Lake Forest...if we gather enough supporting info. to redirect our interest.

We like Aliso because of it's proximity to the beach and less expensive housing BUT also like RSM because it's less densely populated and more picturesque.

Any recommendations about the best place to live in that general area?...please provide reasons.

Thanks!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 06:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
I live in Aliso Viejo, but I think it all boils down to personal preferences. My suggestion is to find a house that you like and go from there.

Still, I'd be glad to try to answer any specific questions that you might have about Aliso.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:15 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
I live in RSM and can answer specific questions about that city. Our three kids were all born and raised here. We like it. But it's true, it is not as close to the beach as AV.

I'm not at all sure that housing in AV is less expensive than RSM. I would assume the opposite, actually.

I also agree that unless you have very specific needs or preferences, one of the cities you mentioned is about as good as another as long as you find a house and neighborhood you like. You just can't say Aliso Viejo is generally worse than Rancho Santa Margarita and better than Mission Viejo, or whatever. It doesn't work like that. Where are you coming from, and have you visited the area?

Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 PM

We currently live in North Carolina. My husband has been out there many times for work but I have never been to the OC area. I have only been to LA County area and north.

Hope to make a family trip soon so we can all get a feel for the area. Wherever we end up...we plan to stay for the next 9 years or so since we want to keep our daughter in the same school district.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 PM

Default Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I live in RSM and can answer specific questions about that city. Our three kids were all born and raised here. We like it. But it's true, it is not as close to the beach as AV.

I'm not at all sure that housing in AV is less expensive than RSM. I would assume the opposite, actually.

I also agree that unless you have very specific needs or preferences, one of the cities you mentioned is about as good as another as long as you find a house and neighborhood you like. You just can't say Aliso Viejo is generally worse than Rancho Santa Margarita and better than Mission Viejo, or whatever. It doesn't work like that. Where are you coming from, and have you visited the area?
Are there any schools you would recommend or NOT recommend?

Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 PM

298 posts, read 628,026 times
All the cities you mentioned are nice. South Orange County is a great area. We have done the swap. I am from OC and now live in Mooresville, NC. I'd be glad to answer any questions on comparisons of the 2 states.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammybean View Post
Are there any schools you would recommend or NOT recommend?
My kids didn't go to public school (homeschooled until high school, and then private school). But I have only heard good things about the local public schools. They mostly get 9s and 10s at greatschools.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:21 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Mission Viejo is good for families (as it has good public schools) and it has its own lake (with a beach area).

Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 AM

OP, I don't know if you are interested in lakes and pools at all, but this is the kind of thing that varies from city to city in South OC, so it makes a good example of the kinds of differences that exist.

First of all, there are very few lakes in OC (and they are virtually all man-made reservoirs). People who live near them appreciate them and they add value, though of course not as much as living near the beach!

RSM lake is smaller and has a path completely around it. The circumference is just over 1 mile. It's a great place to take a walk and you are next to the lake the whole time. Fishing is allowed, and there are kayaks and paddle boats available for a small rental fee. There is an area called the "Beach Club" with shallow water and a sandy beach. It is actually separated from the rest of the lake by a barrier and is filled with pool water, not lake water. It's best for small children. The area is accessed by a membership card (free to RSM residents), and each card can be used to admit 5 free guests per day. Other than this small area, the lake and its path are open to everyone free of charge.

Mission Viejo lake is much larger and mostly surrounded by lakefront properties. As a result, there is no path next to the lake. People do talk about "walking the lake" (3 miles) but only about 1/8 of the walk actually has a lake view; the rest is along busy streets. Kayaks, paddle boats, party boats, etc. can be rented by members for a fee. These activities are more fun at Mission Viejo lake than at RSM because it is bigger. There is a sandy beach and the water that you swim in is actually lake water. It's more fun for older kids because the water is deeper. Members can bring up to 15 guests per day at $3 per guest.

Mission Viejo has 2 public pools for which everyone including residents pays a daily fee to swim. RSM has 4 public pools which are always free to residents and their guests.

So, again this was just an example, but if living near a lake or pool is desirable to you, then this is the kind of thing you would want to know. If you are mostly interested in the beach, then neither Mission Viejo nor RSM is likely to be close enough for you and you'd rather be in Aliso Viejo or one of the other cities on the other side of the 5.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
OP, I don't know if you are interested in lakes and pools at all, but this is the kind of thing that varies from city to city in South OC, so it makes a good example of the kinds of differences that exist.

First of all, there are very few lakes in OC (and they are virtually all man-made reservoirs). People who live near them appreciate them and they add value, though of course not as much as living near the beach!

RSM lake is smaller and has a path completely around it. The circumference is just over 1 mile. It's a great place to take a walk and you are next to the lake the whole time. Fishing is allowed, and there are kayaks and paddle boats available for a small rental fee. There is an area called the "Beach Club" with shallow water and a sandy beach. It is actually separated from the rest of the lake by a barrier and is filled with pool water, not lake water. It's best for small children. The area is accessed by a membership card (free to RSM residents), and each card can be used to admit 5 free guests per day. Other than this small area, the lake and its path are open to everyone free of charge.

Mission Viejo lake is much larger and mostly surrounded by lakefront properties. As a result, there is no path next to the lake. People do talk about "walking the lake" (3 miles) but only about 1/8 of the walk actually has a lake view; the rest is along busy streets. Kayaks, paddle boats, party boats, etc. can be rented by members for a fee. These activities are more fun at Mission Viejo lake than at RSM because it is bigger. There is a sandy beach and the water that you swim in is actually lake water. It's more fun for older kids because the water is deeper. Members can bring up to 15 guests per day at $3 per guest.

Mission Viejo has 2 public pools for which everyone including residents pays a daily fee to swim. RSM has 4 public pools which are always free to residents and their guests.

So, again this was just an example, but if living near a lake or pool is desirable to you, then this is the kind of thing you would want to know. If you are mostly interested in the beach, then neither Mission Viejo nor RSM is likely to be close enough for you and you'd rather be in Aliso Viejo or one of the other cities on the other side of the 5.
Thanks...Great info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County