Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I’d rather live in North County vs South OC.
I've been considering this. What are your reasons for choosing North County over OC? Not too familiar with their differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 01:09 PM

85 posts, read 70,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If money is no problem, I suggest Dana Point. Really cool Marina, close to hiking trails, I dont know what you call them. Its like empty land surrounded by suburbs. You can see all the houses. Will probably be developed at some point. Dana Point has nice commercial zones with decent restaurants around.
^what he said would be my recommendation for OC.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:34 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrpet31 View Post
I've been considering this. What are your reasons for choosing North County over OC? Not too familiar with their differences.
"North County" is an almost meaningless designation. You have to specify if that means Oceanside or Solana Beach, Carlsbad or Del Mar, etc.

Personally I find Del Mar and Carlsbad as pretensions as people claim Orange County to be. The cool beach vibe that used to exist in those cities went away about the same time they started tearing of flower fields to put in housing developments.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:02 PM

252 posts, read 422,620 times
North Orange County.....over South Orange County.

We or I have lived in both. Since 1955, I was Raised in north county and lived in Santa Ana, then in college I moved to Balboa Island, then the Balboa Peninsula, and then Corona Del Mar. Those were great and fun times in the beach cities.
Later, Anaheim, Fullerton, Placentia, and Tustin. Then before moving to Kauai, lived in Garden Grove, and then 12 years in Huntington Harbor. At the same time that I was in Huntington Harbor, Erica lived in Seal Beach. Then we moved to Kauai.

When our landlord in Kauai, sold off his properties and moved to the Big Island, we could not find the right place for us on Kauai.

I was very disappointed, but Erica suggested South County, Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano or San Clemente....
We wanted less traffic, and easy going areas. Of course, we gravitated toward the beach cities.

Dana Point won out, and we moved back across the Pacific, and very much enjoy just about everything and our life style.

The North County area, that we would probably chose....if not South County, would be Seal Beach or Balboa Island. But there are plenty of very nice areas inland , as others have recommended.

Now, that is us, and thankfully in life, we all have different needs, feelings, life styles, and what makes us personally feel happy every day.

Suggest, you spend some time in re-conning places that might appeal to you, and learn about them, and then make your decision.

Also, before moving, we suggest rent for a while before laying out cash to purchase. Also, check out planned new developments, might be great for you, but , maybe not, including additional traffic snarls. No big mistakes with quick decisions.

There is only one person that you have to please as to your residence location, and that is you.

Good fortune, and have a fun time exploring and finding your special location

Old 06-29-2020, 06:07 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
North Orange County.....over South Orange County.
Pretty sure carrpet was referring to North County, as in San Diego; not North Orange County.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
My mother's family moved to OC in the very early 30's to Santa Ana and at the same time acquired 2 lots in Corona del Mar. Although I've been in and out of OC since my graduation from CdM HS (mid 70's) there has been someone from my family living continuously in OC since 1932 and continuously full time in CdM since 1952. One of my cousins, a Santa Ana High graduate, has lived in Santa Ana all of their 73 years other than their college/post grad years.

There have been a number of vulgar people move in and they usually wind up on "Housewives of OC", but it isn't a majority of people or even a significant minority. If you insist on spending your time in the hottest, trendiest bars and restaurants you will run into them, but if you stick to more normal places you willfind normal people.
I am still trying to figure out where, and who. Anywhere........

Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrpet31 View Post
Solana Beach, Encinitas, and Carlsbad are more chill and cheaper than the Dana Point area. South OC feels like a bubble. Too far from anything else to really go elsewhere. Carlsbad to downtown SD is only 35-40 minutes most of the time. Not much traffic outside of rush hour and on Saturday morning. I know you're into hiking and there's plenty in North County. Also, the beaches in North County are wayyyyy nicer than South OC. I can see my feet in the water there and not in OC water.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:56 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Also, the beaches in North County are wayyyyy nicer than South OC. I can see my feet in the water there and not in OC water.
Now you're exaggerating. The ocean water does not magically change when you cross the county line. The south OC beaches are very clean.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:51 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,184 times
Go research the water quality before you question someone. A few in OC and several in SD. Further away from LA, it just happens to be cleaner. Imagine that?

Old 06-30-2020, 03:47 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Go research the water quality before you question someone. A few in OC and several in SD. Further away from LA, it just happens to be cleaner. Imagine that?
Thanks, I did that. South OC and North SD are both very clean overall. The ocean does not know where the county line is. Both counties have a small area or two which is not too clean due to runoff.

I also notice you fail to mention that the water in South SD near the Mexican border is not clean at all. Farther away from Mexico, it happens to be cleaner. Imagine that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County