Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 04:42 PM

77 posts, read 82,064 times

Advertisements

I want move away from people/population in general and just focus on my family in some peace and quiet. So I've been looking at places like Ladera Ranch and Esencia: small communities that are built for young families, are unique and interesting in their own ways, and feel special.

I didn't quite see the "fire risk" when I visited Ladera Ranch since it's pretty grown in and your views are mostly obstructed by vegetation, but when I went to the other side of the hill to look at some homes in the newer and much less grown in Esencia, as beautiful as the mountain and hill views are - something I'd never get tired of seeing, I'm now worried the entire area is one giant tinderbox.

Just curious on others' thoughts on this or those who may live in such areas: is it just a risk you take and live with or it something that's always on the back your mind? Looking at a CA fire risk map, these areas show up as "Tier 2 Elevated". I guess there is at least some peace of mind they are not "Tier 3 Extreme"...

Last edited by thenext88; 07-13-2020 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 04:54 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Actually Ladera Ranch copies boring Irvine, anyway, I let you go on. I know it’s popular to bash Irvine.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:29 PM

77 posts, read 82,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Actually Ladera Ranch copies boring Irvine, anyway, I let you go on. I know it’s popular to bash Irvine.
Irvine feels like the tech area of NorCal to me. It's not bad, it's just not what I am looking for. I have a 15 month old son, and I work from home as does my wife. We will be spending much of our days outdoors with him at local parks, pools, etc (once the threat of COVID passes). Ladera / RMV win pretty handily for the phase of life we are entering. All of that is walkable. Demographics of those areas also line up better with us (not by race, but by age).

They're also more affordable than Irvine - Anyway, I've removed my opinion of Irvine. My annoyance of it mostly friends and family (who don't even live there) that keep recommending it. I just don't want the same here.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:41 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext88 View Post
I want move away from people/population in general and just focus on my family in some peace and quiet. So I've been looking at places like Ladera Ranch and Esencia: small communities that are built for young families, are unique and interesting in their own ways, and feel special (unlike Irvine for example which represents the boring cookie-cutter 9 to 5 lifestyle which I do not want).

I didn't quite see the "fire risk" when I visited Ladera Ranch since it's pretty grown in and your views are mostly obstructed by vegetation, but when I went to the other side of the hill to look at some homes in the newer and much less grown in Esencia, as beautiful as the mountain and hill views are - something I'd never get tired of seeing, I'm now worried the entire area is one giant tinderbox.

Just curious on others' thoughts on this or those who may live in such areas: is it just a risk you take and live with or it something that's always on the back your mind? Looking at a CA fire risk map, these areas show up as "Tier 2 Elevated". I guess there is at least some peace of mind they are not "Tier 3 Extreme"...
There is always the risk of fire in South County, but it's not something that many dwell upon. Local authorities do make an effort to remind people of that reality, especially when winds are brisk and there has been little precipitation. Small brush fires are not unusual. If I'm correct, we live in a near desert in terms of rainfall. It's wise to have a disaster bag packed in case there is a fire or earthquake and evacuation is needed.

BTW, one may occasionally see smoke coming from the southern areas of Camp Pendleton and San Diego County.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:38 AM

585 posts, read 634,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
There is always the risk of fire in South County, but it's not something that many dwell upon. Local authorities do make an effort to remind people of that reality, especially when winds are brisk and there has been little precipitation. Small brush fires are not unusual. If I'm correct, we live in a near desert in terms of rainfall. It's wise to have a disaster bag packed in case there is a fire or earthquake and evacuation is needed.

BTW, one may occasionally see smoke coming from the southern areas of Camp Pendleton and San Diego County.
Concur, there are often fires on Pendleton, usually in October. October is THE fire month. Not just for Pendleton, but for the entire region. The combination of a long hot dry summer, and the onset of Santa Ana winds sucking the moisture out of everything in their path, create perfect conditions. Then of course the sparse winter rains come, which now create mudslides from the fire-barren environment. Then in the Spring, things bloom and grow and the cycle continues ad infinitum.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:19 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
I remember when one of those fires on Pendleton* blew into San Clemente courtesy of an ass kicking Santa Ana that popped up just in time to drive the CP fire into a destructive fire front. 15 homes destroyed and 66 damaged. January 1976.

Then of course, there's Laguna Beach, home to a number of devastating wildfires and many hundreds of homes lost.

*started by welding operations aboard base

Old 07-15-2020, 01:14 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
People shouldn't talk of Irvine as if it is one place, it isn't. It is a city of neighborhoods and each neighborhood has its own characteristics. University Park is nothing like Stonegate or Woodbury; Orchard Hills is nothing like Oak Creek or Woodbridge; and so on. Ladera Ranch is virtually indistinguishable from the new areas of Irvine, Foothill Ranch, Aliso Viejo, etc.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
People shouldn't talk of Irvine as if it is one place, it isn't. It is a city of neighborhoods and each neighborhood has its own characteristics. University Park is nothing like Stonegate or Woodbury; Orchard Hills is nothing like Oak Creek or Woodbridge; and so on. Ladera Ranch is virtually indistinguishable from the new areas of Irvine, Foothill Ranch, Aliso Viejo, etc.
Exactly. This talk of Irvine being all identical across the board is overblown.

Even with newer neighborhoods you have Tortola Springs vs. the Great Park Neighborhoods, which are not even planned by the Irvine Company. Then you have a hodge podge of apartments in the Irvine Business Complex, most of which are not Irvine Company apartments.

I guess there's just a general bashing of all new residential architecture being bland and soulless. A century ago people probably said the same thing about brownstones being built in Chicago. Now they're architectural classics.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:41 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I guess there's just a general bashing of all new residential architecture being bland and soulless. A century ago people probably said the same thing about brownstones being built in Chicago. Now they're architectural classics.
Well, yeah. It generally takes time for anything to be recognized as a classic, and very often those things were considered either boringly plain or weird when they were created.

The things that people rave about the minute they first appear very often end up dated and rejected by future generations. This is the very definition of trendy vs. timeless.

On the other hand, not everything becomes a timeless classic. Some architecture (literature, fashion, et al.) starts out drab and ends that way, too. Time will tell.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:53 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, yeah. It generally takes time for anything to be recognized as a classic, and very often those things were considered either boringly plain or weird when they were created.

The things that people rave about the minute they first appear very often end up dated and rejected by future generations. This is the very definition of trendy vs. timeless.

On the other hand, not everything becomes a timeless classic. Some architecture (literature, fashion, et al.) starts out drab and ends that way, too. Time will tell.
Right. When the Eiffel Tower was new, people complained about it being this giant metal, industrial monstrous eyesore.

People for the most part are not raving about Irvine new home architecture. They might be raving about the comfy interiors, but not the beige exteriors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County