Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 PM

17 posts, read 14,310 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends...

Like a lot of folks, I am getting tired of CA for many reasons. I have a small place in Texas I bought and am trying to decide if I should rent, or sell my place here in OC. I am wondering about renting in the time of COVID, I do NOT want to get someone in and then have them somehow not have to pay rent due to COVID laws. Before I get flamed for being 'insensitive'...I once many years ago had tenants that quit paying rent and it took me 8 months to get them out, I almost lost my home over it..so I do NOT want put in that position again.

I really don't want to sell my house, I may want to return at some point...but please if you know, what are the current regulation/laws regarding COVID and tenants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 08:17 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Everybody I’ve talked about this said sell so that’s what I did last May. Your in a tough position since you want to keep it. Maybe ask in the real estate section of this forum. Good Luck

Ps I sold a condo in Orange

Old 01-05-2021, 09:50 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,233,517 times
California is a very tenant-friendly state and traditionally many tenants have taken full advantage of this. Unless you are renting to a friend or relative, I would think you'd be better off selling. Being in Texas during a pandemic is too far away to manage your OC property and I think the risk is too great for you in dealing with missed rental payments.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaleeoc1 View Post
Hi Friends...

Like a lot of folks, I am getting tired of CA for many reasons. I have a small place in Texas I bought and am trying to decide if I should rent, or sell my place here in OC. I am wondering about renting in the time of COVID, I do NOT want to get someone in and then have them somehow not have to pay rent due to COVID laws. Before I get flamed for being 'insensitive'...I once many years ago had tenants that quit paying rent and it took me 8 months to get them out, I almost lost my home over it..so I do NOT want put in that position again.

I really don't want to sell my house, I may want to return at some point...but please if you know, what are the current regulation/laws regarding COVID and tenants?
Really depends on who you get in the property. Screen the hell out of the applicants. Not everyone falls under the COVID regulations. These COVID regulations aren’t going to last forever. They won’t be able to keep this up much longer. Eventually banks are gonna start foreclosing or courts are gonna open up and kick people out.

If you’re that scared about renting then the best thing for you to do is to sell. The problem like you will find out is that once you sell out of Ca you’re most likely never going to be able to buy back in. I know a lot of people will try to argue this point but I’ve lived in Ca for over 35 years. With all that happened in the past my houses have ALWAYS gone up in price over the years. Even when the downturns happen they eventually went back up and surpassed the prior high price. Out of all the houses I own if I were to try and buy any of them today there are only two I could afford to comfortably purchase. And that would STILL require a 20% down for a comfortable payment. Over the years my hoses have almost doubled, tripled and in some quadrupled or more in value to the point where buying some of them is unattainable.

Why not just sell this house and buy rentals in Texas.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:46 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
FWIW, if you would need to rely on steady CA rental income in order to keep current with your properties this sounds like a gamble not worth taking. Living in TX but trying to manage a CA property? Sounds like a hassle unless you plan to rely on a local property manager. If you are not willing to wait and watch the vaccination rollout situation for a while to see if things stabilize, I'd sell the place and put the proceeds to work for you. The pandemic-related tenant protections may change quite a bit in a few months. By the time you "might" want to go back to CA your housing wishes (location, size, etc) could also change a lot.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:50 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,735,642 times
Quote:
Hi Friends...

We are in the same boat. I want to retire this year and move out of Ca. We already have a house elsewhere.

So we have the same question should be sell or lease our house. I know we are the only ones who could answer that question but it is a dilemma for us. I know in our case once we sell we could never come back.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 19,140 times
Selling right now will yield you the most amount of money on the property, as it's a "seller's market." Many qualified buyers are out there since the interest rates are so low they can purchase a home they normally couldn't afford with high rates. There is currently an inventory issue with very few homes on the market. In essence we have more buyers than sellers and that is creating a huge buyer demand. Homes on market are receiving multiple offers and over asking.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:27 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Rent the place n Texas, and live in your place in OC.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:45 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,749,752 times
Quote:
Hi Friends...

Consider selling the OC home and buying another rental (can be anywhere) using a 1031 exchange. There are rules surrounding the exchange but it could be worth it.

I had a rental, sold that rental and bought the home I live in now. After I bought the home I rented it for a couple years then sold my primary residence and moved into the rental.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:14 AM

111 posts, read 82,365 times
I know someone who is renting their house and the tenants stopped paying for months. They can’t be evicted either due to covid. The only way to get them out is to move back in the home fulltime as an owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: