Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 11:09 AM

8,326 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
OC and it's not close.

Collin County has diversified quickly with a rapidly growing Asian population so the demographics are getting similar, but it is charmless. People underestimate the benefits of having something to look at besides flat land and trees. Moreover, it's a serious challenge to grow tropical plants reliably there due to cold snaps.

Maybe if you have a large family and just want the space it can work, and are ok with endless chain restaurants and boring scenery.
To be fair, OC's charm comes from the scenery and the culture the scenery brings. Its very suburban and full of strip malls just like Collin County. Collin County doesnt have the climate and geography that OC has.

I also wouldnt call Collin County completely without charm. Downtown McKinney is an absolutely gem and the best small city downtown Ive been to in Texas. Its comparable to Old Towne Orange. Downtown Plano is comparable to downtown Fullerton. Most of both counties are full of strip malls and tract housing.

I dont know that too many people would argue that, if you have unlimited funds, you wouldnt rather live in Orange County. But right now opportunities are simply much better in Collin County, its much more affordable, and it still has a lot of amenities to offer.

Regarding the restaurants, yes there are quite a few chain restaurants in Collin County but there are also many more that arent. To this day the best Indian (outside India) food Ive ever had was in Collin County. Downtown Plano and McKinney have lots of American options that are non-chains as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 01:42 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_california View Post
I have a relative who moved to Texas because they liked the idea of paying no state income taxes. They old their home in the Bay Area for around $1.5 million and bought one in Texas for $800k. Their property taxes went from $6000 a year in California to $20,000 a year in Texas!!! So much for saving on income taxes. People always forget about Prop 13 and how, the longer you stay in your home in California, the more you save on taxes. And then if you're over 55, you can take your low taxes with you when you move to a another house.

By the way, my relative froze last winter with the outage.
We used our gas stove to boil pots of water and generate some heat. It was insane and I am so glad our pipes didn't freeze. The state left its citizens to die (over 200 of them).

Our property taxes are insane in Texas. There is a huge industry here for companies that go to the county court and argue down the value of your house to save on property taxes. You pay them a third of the taxes they saved. They do it every year. We used one that got our value lowered 150k from the county appraisal. It saved around 3k in taxes last year. We paid the company 1k.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners9354 View Post
Which one would you choose
I would choose Collin County, Texas.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:21 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Truth be told, Orange and Collin Counties are VERY similar in many ways. Irvine and Plano are pretty interchangeable as far as cities are concerned, both are very suburban, both have traditionally been more conservative but have shifted left in recent years (OC is about 10 years ahead of Collin here), both are diverse (OC obviously much more so), etc. Its just happens that one is surrounded by mountains and the Ocean with a desirable climate and the other is in the middle of the Great Plains and Prairies with a less than desirable climate.
"It just happens that one is surrounded by mountains and the Ocean with a desirable climate and the other is in the middle of the Great Plains and Prairies with a less than desirable climate."

Uh..... that would be why they are are NOT "pretty interchangeable". You can't divorce a city from its environment, climate and geography.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:03 PM

368 posts, read 365,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
OC if you can afford it. We made the move last summer from Irvine to Texas. We regret it deeply. Luckily our house has appreciated really quickly so we can get out without too much lost. When Texas says it's business friendly, it comes a the expense of protecting its citizens. We learned that during the freeze when companies were allowed to not winter-proof their plants. Now state leaders are sticking citizens with the exorbitant bills that will give further profit to the companies who failed in the first place.

We learned that when we bought our house and our info was sold to every business in town. A no-name insurance company stepped into our mortgage process claiming we'd signed with them. They tried to hide their fee in our paperwork. It wasn't until the day before we closed that we found it. They claimed it was a misunderstanding.

All of those California addendums that companies have with special protections and rights are there because California has laws to protect people. Texas has none. If you have a car accident here, no police will show up unless an ambulance is needed. They tell you to go to your nearest police station and file a report. This is widely known so when you have an accident here and you're at fault, there is no incentive to stop and exchange information. Insurance rates here are very high for a reason.

I could go on and on, but I probably just sound bitter. My family is here and it was great to spend a year reconnecting with everyone, but we are done. This is just not the place for us and we're planning to move to the Sacramento area next.
Now, throw in the hot ass summers. You know about the "annoying" winters already. Winter in Texas is not like being in Florida. As you know, Texas gets cold. Good thing you don't live in Dallas, you're not getting a cop for a burglary, assault (suspect gone) and many other property crimes. I know, I was a Dallas cop for 26 years. South OC is the much better place. Although my wife has to drive a ways to the studios, but it's not everyday.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:20 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,037 times
Quote:
I completely disagree.
Then we agree to disagree... everyone wants different things and if Houston, TX floats your boat then good for you. I moved to TX to try it out and give it a fair shot because I did not want to frame opinions without trying something out for myself. I did and I find it isn't for me. I am extremely bored here as the environment is completely out of alignment with my lifestyle (I am a huge outdoors person).

I am very familiar with the Vegas area as I have been there many times a year for the last 25 years and I like it there. Would I rather live in SoCal, of course, but I don't want to pay the asking price to live there, plain and simple.

SoCal is hands down the best place to live in my opinion but it is absurdly expensive... if one can't afford to live in SoCal then they just can't, just the simple truth. If one can't afford to buy a Ferrari then they shouldn't try to buy it anyway, they should recognize that they can't afford a Ferrari and buy something within their price range.

For me, I can easily afford to live in SoCal, but I don't want to, as I said I don't feel like paying the asking price, I feel it's too high for what's on offer. I don't like the deal. So, I don't live in SoCal. Others love the deal and take it, to each his own.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:21 PM

368 posts, read 365,651 times
Quote:
To be fair, OC's charm comes from the scenery and the culture the scenery brings. Its very suburban and full of strip malls just like Collin County. Collin County doesnt have the climate and geography that OC has.

I also wouldnt call Collin County completely without charm. Downtown McKinney is an absolutely gem and the best small city downtown Ive been to in Texas. Its comparable to Old Towne Orange. Downtown Plano is comparable to downtown Fullerton. Most of both counties are full of strip malls and tract housing.

I dont know that too many people would argue that, if you have unlimited funds, you wouldnt rather live in Orange County. But right now opportunities are simply much better in Collin County, its much more affordable, and it still has a lot of amenities to offer.

Regarding the restaurants, yes there are quite a few chain restaurants in Collin County but there are also many more that arent. To this day the best Indian (outside India) food Ive ever had was in Collin County. Downtown Plano and McKinney have lots of American options that are non-chains as well.
Lockhart's Barbeque in downtown Plano. Great ribs.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:42 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,037 times
those who come to TX must realize that TX is one gigantic wasteland/swamp, be prepared for that. Nothing wrong with living in a swamp if that is what your heart desires but it comes with all the trappings - roaches, bugs, reptiles etc. etc. My car is constantly bombarded with all sorts of bugs just randomly in the air. In the 22 years I lived in CA never saw anything quite like it. Also the roads in TX are in absolutely deplorable condition - my car's poor suspension may need replacement soon enough, but worse all the debris on the road has already cause my paint to chip. As I said never had this happen in CA as the roads are fairly good. TX just does not take care of it's state infrastructure sorry to say...

Old 04-19-2021, 07:50 AM

8,326 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
those who come to TX must realize that TX is one gigantic wasteland/swamp, be prepared for that. Nothing wrong with living in a swamp if that is what your heart desires but it comes with all the trappings - roaches, bugs, reptiles etc. etc. My car is constantly bombarded with all sorts of bugs just randomly in the air. In the 22 years I lived in CA never saw anything quite like it. Also the roads in TX are in absolutely deplorable condition - my car's poor suspension may need replacement soon enough, but worse all the debris on the road has already cause my paint to chip. As I said never had this happen in CA as the roads are fairly good. TX just does not take care of it's state infrastructure sorry to say...
You generalizing an entire state based off one place I guess you lived. Im assuming Southeast Texas based off of the swamp/bugs/poor roads condition.

What youre describing doesnt remotely resemble Collin County. The roads there are in great shape, its not swampy at all, and its anything but a wasteland.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:54 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
You generalizing an entire state based off one place I guess you lived. Im assuming Southeast Texas based off of the swamp/bugs/poor roads condition.

What youre describing doesnt remotely resemble Collin County. The roads there are in great shape, its not swampy at all, and its anything but a wasteland.
Yes, that would be like describing all of CA based on Indio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County