Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 03:31 PM

65 posts, read 105,383 times

Advertisements

Irvine has plenty of racial, ethnic and religious diversity, though plurality caucasian/asian origin with sizeable middle eastern population. Also, plenty of inter-racial families and multiracial kids. You and your child should not stick out as outsiders. Many transplants moving here from all over the U.S, and the world, so it's relatively easy to break into social groups and find your niche, since there is not an entrenched ”local” population. There is diversity, but I would say relatively little racial/social justice activism (or "wokism", depending on one's viewpoint). Most people here of all racial/ethnic backgrounds are more focused on making it economically in a high cost of living area.

It is relatively homogeneous middle to upper middle class population, so perhaps a little less socio-economic diversity, but even that is changing, as there is a small proportion of Irvine Company apartments that are set aside for affordable housing. However, they are sprinkled around the city within the market rate apt complexes, so there are no concentrated slum areas.

I would say Irvine is not liberal in the way that is commonly used to describe California SF Bay area or Los Angeles. I would say its more moderate. Strong community support for the police here, as well as little tolerance for drug use, homeless, panhandlers etc. The landscaping is manicured to an extreme, and homes must conform to strict architectural themes/guidelines, which to some means lack of "character," whereas to others, is heaven. Irvine is not "funky/interesting" the way Berkeley might be. City does not allow legal marijuana dispensaries to operate within its borders as an example. There was a huge community protest a few years ago when the County tried to open a homeless shelter on County owned public land within Irvine borders because it bordered new home developments, and the proposal was dropped. No nightlife (clubs, late night bars, and that's how most residents want it) Many families move here specifically to escape urban ”ills.” But at the same time, no pressure to be religious, no Trump flags, no anti-maskers, no anti-immigration rallies here. I would say the LGBT community is accepted here.

So I guess it depends on what you mean when you mention being concerned about living in a place with ”conservative” politics. I think Irvine is conservative when it comes to quality of life issues, but not conservative when it comes to ”far-right” type politics.

Last edited by glowinthedark; 04-19-2021 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 01:56 AM

82 posts, read 126,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSearchofSomethingMore View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a single mom of a toddler living in Calgary. We are both mixed-race and looking for somewhere to move with more liberal mindsets, where different social identities can just live nicely together. Calgary is definitely getting worse with it's weekly anti-masker "freedom" walks and trump rallies (no, it makes no sense, he's not even running for anything in Canada), etc. Name any marginalized social identity and there will be some general sentiment against it. It is a very clean city, clean water, clean air, good infrastructure, great nature, good schools and kids' programs. But socio-culturally, if you want to live in the past, this is the place for you. The weather also sucks with winters lasting 8 months, during which time it's so cold that you can't even enjoy winter sports or anything. Well, at least it's not working for me. We have looked into moving to Toronto, which is a realistic possibility, but it is also cold (although not nearly as cold as Calgary). CA weather is definitely appealing. Because of my field, I will be able to find a job in CA and make about 100K USD which is not much by California standards (and I have had a few job offers already). In terms of mindsets, I would say Bay Area towns like Berkeley would fit us perfectly although it's very rundown there and super expensive. In terms of quality of life and safety for us, I thought Irvine would be perfect. But I know OC is the most conservative in the state which is exactly what we want to escape. But it's changing? So I thought maybe LA could offer a mix of everything that we would ideally need? But LA's schools are pretty bad eh? So overall, I am thinking Irvine or Toronto. But the weather and opportunities to be more active and enjoy the outdoors are definitely better in CA. I have been to all the cities I am considering and loved them all for different reasons. If any single parents out there have any advice/suggestions on what it's like to live there, please let me know
Of course people on the Orange County forum will tell you that LA is worse. Hope you posted on the LA forum also. Anyway, Orange County is nice, but it is expensive. Both LA County and Orange County have nice area's. Of course there are parts of LA to avoid. there are parts of Orange County to avoid also.

LA County does have area's with good schools. In the City of LA, look at parts of the San Fernando Valley like Woodland Hills, Granada Hills or parts of West Hills. All of those area's will be cheaper than Irvine. If you really want to save money, look at Santa Clarita. You'll find good schools and lower cost of living. It's just North of LA. Going East of LA (still within LA County), you'll find area's like La Verne and San Dimas. Both have good schools and are cheaper than Orange County.

Orange County on $100,000 isn't really that easy. People are telling you to move to Irvine. The average home is over $1 million and rents are sky high too. You'll find cheaper area's in LA County that have schools that are just as good as Orange County, are safe, close to amenities and will probably be more to your liking politically.

You mentioned Berkeley being more your cup of tea, if it wasn't so run down and expensive. Try looking in area's around Berkeley also. Many people from Berkeley are moving to nearby San Leandro, which is cheaper and cleaner than Berkeley (cheaper than Irvine too). Go North of Berkeley to Pinole or Hercules, they are way cheaper than Berkeley, have some good schools (mostly on the East Side of I80 for Pinole) and are clean and safe. If you want to be close to the water and still be driving distance to Berkeley and like the mindset, try Benicia. Good schools, right on the water and reasonably priced. Plus jobs in the Bay Area pay better than jobs in Southern California.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:36 PM

12,828 posts, read 9,547,378 times
I live in Irvine. I feel safe, it's very nice here.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSearchofSomethingMore View Post
Thank you so much for such detailed info so far!! This is very helpful! Irvine does sound amazing and is the place where I actually got a job offer. I haven't applied to anywhere in LA, but began to wonder if it was going to be a better option. Sounds like Irvine is definitely a much better choice! And yes, southern Alberta where we are is considered to be the Texas of Canada (not as diverse as Texas though).
While I concur that Irvine is probably a more family friendly place than Berkeley and would be a good environment to raise your child - the big question --- can you make that work financially? Have you budgeted how much rent, utilities and other expenses will be for you?

Old 04-21-2021, 10:23 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
While I concur that Irvine is probably a more family friendly place than Berkeley and would be a good environment to raise your child - the big question --- can you make that work financially? Have you budgeted how much rent, utilities and other expenses will be for you?
The OP stated in other posts that she would be in faculty housing in Berkeley, Irvine or Westwood. UC takes very good care of their staff.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:53 AM

6,369 posts, read 2,703,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The OP stated in other posts that she would be in faculty housing in Berkeley, Irvine or Westwood. UC takes very good care of their staff.
If that is the case then I would go back to the OP and then ask why they are rejecting Berkley because of it being expensive? Housing is going to be the biggest expense. If UC is covering or at least making housing manageable, it seems that is really a non-issue. After housing, the cost of living between the Bay Area and Orange County is negligible.

Going back to the OP's original reason for moving it wasn't things such as losing a job and needing to move or being closer to family. A primary reason was the current political landscape where she is. So her top choice was Berkley that she stated would fit them "perfectly". What I see as a possibility is that after a few months in Irvine when the initial excitement of moving to a new area wears off, she will be back in the same situation as she is now.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:11 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
If that is the case then I would go back to the OP and then ask why they are rejecting Berkley because of it being expensive? Housing is going to be the biggest expense. If UC is covering or at least making housing manageable, it seems that is really a non-issue. After housing, the cost of living between the Bay Area and Orange County is negligible.
It is Berkeley.

I am from OC and went to Berkeley and lived in Berkeley for five years after getting my degrees. I think OC and Irvine are infinitely better places to live and raise children.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:00 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,048,700 times
Since you're a parent, what Irvine does offer (safety, modern housing, good schools) will be far more important than what it doesn't offer (excitement, vintage charm, berkeley level liberalism). Irvine also has nice weather due to its proximity to the sea. Keep in mind many parts of southern california can get uncomfortably hot during summer, such as east san gabriel valley, inland empire, san fernando valley, etc. Irvine is in a nice spot for relatively cool summers.

$100k will be doable if you rent or buy a smaller condo and budget well.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 13,583 times
Yeah, boy will be happy, for sure!

Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 PM

82 posts, read 126,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It is Berkeley.

I am from OC and went to Berkeley and lived in Berkeley for five years after getting my degrees. I think OC and Irvine are infinitely better places to live and raise children.
It all depends on what the original poster is looking for. Irvine is better by your standards, but Berkeley is better by some other peoples standards. The poster said that they liked the more liberal mindset in Berkeley, and the mentality between Irvine and Berkeley is very different. So is the lifestyle. The Bay Area is a much more walkable area and has a much more urban feel in general. Orange county, with a few exceptions, is a place where you drive everywhere and is mostly shopping centers, chain restaurants and endless housing subdivisions. For me, I prefer Orange County, but most liberal minded people prefer the Bay Area. I know that there are area's in the East Bay, close enough to Berkeley, that have clean neighborhoods, low crime and well-rated schools where the cost of living will be similar to Irvine, if not slightly cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County