Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 02:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,076 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

[Excuse my english]
I really need your help...
Last year I bought a car for my stay in Orange County (I lived there for 6 months). I let my car to one of my friend when I left in september 2020 before going back to France. I'm planning on coming back in September this year. However, my friend just told me that he can't find the car anymore and think that It has been towed. I'm waiting for more info (when, what tow company etc...), but how can I have it back?
Plus, I had huge problem with the registration last year and can't have it back online (the company who sold it to me messed up). Do they need more proofs than my ID and an authorization signed for my friend to pick it up and to get it back?

Thanks in advance...

A really stressed french
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 06:03 AM

6,367 posts, read 2,702,213 times
The first thing your friend should do is contact the police. If the car was towed they should have a record of it and give him all of the information.

If it has been more than 30 days the towing company has the right to sell the vehicle, and once that happens you are very likely out of options.

If I read your question right, it sounds like the car may not be registered in your name. If that is the case then you would need to work that out with the dealer and/or DMV depending on the issue before you could do anything.

If it hasn't been 30 days and the vehicle is in your name your friend should be able to get it, but they will need your authorization. You would need to provide a notarized authorization along with your ID to your friend. Your friend would then need to pay all towing and impound fees. I also believe that if the car has expired registration or insurance, both of those must be current before your friend can take it.

As bad as this sounds, these fees could amount to several hundred or a few thousand dollars and may end up being more than the car is worth. Where it may cost you less money to just let it go.

Hope this helps..Good Luck

Old 05-08-2021, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
The first thing your friend should do is contact the police. If the car was towed they should have a record of it and give him all of the information.

If it has been more than 30 days the towing company has the right to sell the vehicle, and once that happens you are very likely out of options.

If I read your question right, it sounds like the car may not be registered in your name. If that is the case then you would need to work that out with the dealer and/or DMV depending on the issue before you could do anything.

If it hasn't been 30 days and the vehicle is in your name your friend should be able to get it, but they will need your authorization. You would need to provide a notarized authorization along with your ID to your friend. Your friend would then need to pay all towing and impound fees. I also believe that if the car has expired registration or insurance, both of those must be current before your friend can take it.

As bad as this sounds, these fees could amount to several hundred or a few thousand dollars and may end up being more than the car is worth. Where it may cost you less money to just let it go.

Hope this helps..Good Luck
Hi FrankNSense,

Thank you so much for your reply!!
You right, the better thing to do is probably to let the car go... But can they sue me or something like that if I do this? Or they're just gonna keep the car and sell it? I'm afraid that later, I won't be able to buy another car because of this, or worst, they sue me...

Old 05-09-2021, 07:47 AM

6,367 posts, read 2,702,213 times
Technically if after the sale if there is still a balance they could sue the registered owner. However, it doesn't mean they will, so it is really impossible to say either way.

But this should not "blacklist" you from buying another car if you are paying cash. If you need to buy it on credit having an unpaid judgment would likely have a negative effect on your credit rating.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:26 AM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Where was it parked? Could your friend have sold your car?

Old 05-12-2021, 01:19 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,969,505 times
Frank gave you a lot of good info.

Most tow yards are big a holes and will require in person signatures and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: