Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 09:09 AM

174 posts, read 132,170 times

Advertisements

My daughter and her friends will be visiting DisneyLand while we're in town. I will not be going into DL so I will find other things to do. My concern is ensuring my rental vehicle is not broken into as our luggage will be in the trunk (I will not leave anything visible inside the cabin). We will be checked out of our hotel and far away from it so having the hotel hold our luggage is not an option.

I would appreciate any suggestions for minimizing the risk of theft, areas to avoid and any parking recommendations. (I've looked at the crime map ...crimegrade.org for a guide) I'm considering visiting places such as the library, Newport Beach, Sunset Beach, Fashion Island etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 11:36 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Parking in a well lit area that has a lot of foot traffic will help versus parking garages or more isolated parking lots. Are you renting a sedan where the trunk is completely enclosed? A potential criminal can see through the tinted class of a SUV or van usually to see the luggage in the trunk of those types of cars.

One unfortunate reality is rental cars are usually really obvious with bar codes that are scanned when you return and an emergency phone number sticker for the rental company on the glass. This often tips criminals there is a chance luggage is in the trunk since the car is obviously a rental.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Parking in a well lit area that has a lot of foot traffic will help versus parking garages or more isolated parking lots. Are you renting a sedan where the trunk is completely enclosed? A potential criminal can see through the tinted class of a SUV or van usually to see the luggage in the trunk of those types of cars.

One unfortunate reality is rental cars are usually really obvious with bar codes that are scanned when you return and an emergency phone number sticker for the rental company on the glass. This often tips criminals there is a chance luggage is in the trunk since the car is obviously a rental.
Thank you! Yeah, I didn't think about the bar code on the rental car. I thought most of them blend in these days. It would be best if they had the bar code hidden inside the car or inside the door. I'll have to look into that

Old 01-29-2024, 12:50 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
You've left a little info out: Are you leaving the car unattended over night or something? Or - are you thinking that - site unseen - someone is going to just randomly head down the road in any neighborhood, pop ALL the trunks of ALL the cars, until they hit the jackpot? Not trying to be snarky - just trying to get a grip on what your actual worry is.
For professional car "breaker-inners" - there is no way - and I mean, None At All - that your car will NOT be identified as a rental. It will have out of state plates for one thing. And it will have obvious other stickers beyond the bar code, way too many for you to remove. And other signs. Accept it. Anyone that cares already knows a) you're a tourist and b) it's a rental.

But let me tell you something mildly comforting: I have been traveling about 50% of the time for the past three years, all over the US, CA included, LA area too. I park with my tools and luggage in the car nearly every day (and most nights). Laptop on the back seat. On streets, in restaurants, at the beach, at the park at the museum - I site-see when possible - and - knock on wood - I have NEVER had any car broken into EXCEPT IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY AT HOME. That's happened three times.

So I think your fears are overblown, unless you KNOW you're headed to a sketchy place. Random car-trunk-luggage thievery is just not that common.
Nevertheless - do not travel with lots of jewels or cash, so that if the worst happens - you're just out some clothes, which should all be covered by your insurance.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:04 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Ask the rental car agency if any of their cars are equipped with audible alarms and how to operate them. If they charge a higher rate for an alarmed car, considering your level of concern, might be worth a little extra peace of mind. Sure, alarms on parked cars go off accidentally all the time but the commotion would draw some attention to anyone trying to mess with it. Don't travel with valuables or keep them on you, not in the trunk.

Old 01-29-2024, 04:01 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
It is very highly unlikely that your car will be broken into in Newport Beach or at South Coast Plaza. Most of Orange County is extremely safe especially during daylight hours. If you're just talking about being here and there in the nicer tourist locations with luggage in your trunk during the daytime, I would not give it a second thought. Speaking as a lifelong OC resident.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:27 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Wanted to add that last year, my niece and her friend visiting from Germany headed out of OC on a road trip. Their first stop was the Hollywood sign. They parked the car at the trailhead parking lot, left their backpacks visible in the back seat, and headed up the trail. When they returned, the door lock had been forced open and the backpacks ransacked. No clothes taken, but their wallets and passports had been stolen. So yeah, that was the wrong place (sketchy area of LA) and a stupid thing to do.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Wanted to add that last year, my niece and her friend visiting from Germany headed out of OC on a road trip. Their first stop was the Hollywood sign. They parked the car at the trailhead parking lot, left their backpacks visible in the back seat, and headed up the trail. When they returned, the door lock had been forced open and the backpacks ransacked. No clothes taken, but their wallets and passports had been stolen. So yeah, that was the wrong place (sketchy area of LA) and a stupid thing to do.
Yeah, trailheads are notorious for break-ins, unfortunately. They're unpoliced and thieves know you're likely not coming back for hours. I'm sorry that happened to them.

Regarding others questions-- this will be entirely during the daytime because we all need to be at the airport before evening. I guess I'm feeling the weight of responsibility for other's belongings. There will be valuable event costumes and equipment/accessories (not like jewelry though) from the girls and I would feel terrible if anything happened. Maybe I am overthinking this...I'm just trying to do whatever is within my control to ensure the safety of the vehicle's contents.'

Greatly appreciate the input!

Old 01-30-2024, 11:29 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
Yeah, trailheads are notorious for break-ins, unfortunately. They're unpoliced and thieves know you're likely not coming back for hours. I'm sorry that happened to them.

Regarding others questions-- this will be entirely during the daytime because we all need to be at the airport before evening. I guess I'm feeling the weight of responsibility for other's belongings. There will be valuable event costumes and equipment/accessories (not like jewelry though) from the girls and I would feel terrible if anything happened. Maybe I am overthinking this...I'm just trying to do whatever is within my control to ensure the safety of the vehicle's contents.'

Greatly appreciate the input!
Ship hard to replace items home after your check out before sightseeing

Old 01-30-2024, 12:54 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
My daughter and her friends will be visiting DisneyLand while we're in town. I will not be going into DL so I will find other things to do. My concern is ensuring my rental vehicle is not broken into as our luggage will be in the trunk (I will not leave anything visible inside the cabin). We will be checked out of our hotel and far away from it so having the hotel hold our luggage is not an option.

I would appreciate any suggestions for minimizing the risk of theft, areas to avoid and any parking recommendations. (I've looked at the crime map ...crimegrade.org for a guide) I'm considering visiting places such as the library, Newport Beach, Sunset Beach, Fashion Island etc.
If you’re that worried about clothing/luggage, consider PEC - but you shouldn’t have anything of value with you anyway. That said, how old is your daughter that you don’t plan to stick around Disneyland? I took my niece and her friends on a day trip some time ago for her birthday; heh, my sister-in-law would have shot me if I left them (but, of course, I would not have done so).

In other words, from my perspective, you’re giving more thought to luggage than your daughter/kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County