Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 07:13 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times

Advertisements

Greetings all--

I live in Atlanta, GA--and know little of CA---one brief trip and what I read online and whatever HGTV sees fit to broadcast. LOL--getting tired of HGTV --some of you might feel the same about CNN... Such is life.

Anyway--a transplanted Californian is somewhat disappointed in Atlanta---Kennesaw, GA particularly. Wanted to know what to Do--

I found this link--Newport Beach/Balboa Beach--we have nothing like this in GA--maybe one day.
Here/Balboa Beach>>>
http://www.balboapavilion.com

What we have in that area is:

--Access to the North GA mountains--rivers, lakes, parks and activities centered around these attractions. Lots of people ride motorcycles in the mountains. Many aviation enthusiasts--Dobbins Air Force base/Lockheed are close to Kennesaw/Marietta. (Many Civil War Buffs in this area--not sure that Californians like that sort of thing?)

--What other interests might appeal to a transplanted Californian?

--Marietta/largest city in this area has renovated the square --many nice shops and restaurants and cultural activities. Lots of civic groups--very affluent community--in some areas, I should say.

Marietta Town Square>>>
http://www.mariettasquare.com/glover_park.html (broken link)

--I think wherever you go--you have to 'network'--find a group/interest and go from there.

I'd love suggestions. Life is increasingly complex in Atlanta--metro area 5,000,000 and we are really having growing pains. Not as friendly as it once was--I really miss that.

Thanks.

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 08:38 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,672 times
Thumbs up Newport: A Great Place To Be

Your metro area in Atlanta is 5 mil and L.A.'s metro area is approx 16 mil., driving approx. two and a half hours without traffic North and South, and about an hour and thirty minutes East to West without traffic. The major counties are Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino, Ventura is not as large. If you can afford Newport Beach, you will love it. The city is located in the Southwest Corner of Orange County. As the name says, the city is located on the Beach. The area is very upscale and I would not be surprised if the median home value is 900,000 to a mil. The downtown area is absolutely gorgeous and has great shopping. There are some tremendous beaches in the area. There is great scenery from the top of the cliffs that overlook the ocean. The schools are excellent, high, dry 70's in the summer as the high, and high 40's as the low in the winter. Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers currently resides there. Theres a popular bodyboarding/bodysurfing location called "The Wedge." This place is absolutely crazy, when the swell hits, the waves can be seven to ten feet with two to three foot deep water. My friends from high school were very serious, and they showed the tape, and it was wipe out after wipe out. It's alot of fun to watch, I believe its in the North section of Newport Beach. The Cons you won't get much Community feel, most folks are overwhelmed in their proffesion and family. I would not go there with a long commute. Look into these areas as well Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, Languna Niguel, Laguna Beach, San Clemente, Santa Margarita, San Juan Capistrano. There's a serious catch though, all areas are extremely nice, but also very expensive. The drive to San Diego, which is a great city in the downtown area, is about an hour away, while cultural and exciting Los Angeles is an hour North of this area. HOPE I COULD HELP!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times
That is very helpful.

The state of GA should not aspire to becoming CA--I am convinced.

We have some mansions/estates---more are appearing each week--I suppose this is progress. Lots of growth in the IT industry and maybe that is how these professionals prefer to live.

If you come to Atlanta--head for Virginia Highlands--and the old neighborhoods--'Intown'--close to the heart of the city. Druid Hills/Emory--that is the real Atlanta--at least to me.

Better hurry ---the landscape is changing quickly.
I know I would enjoy a visit to CA. I watch HGTV and the Food Channel. Lol.

The miracles that are performed on 'Curb Appeal'--beautiful vegetation in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County