Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 PM

21 posts, read 45,074 times

Advertisements

I'm located in the center of Alaska right now so the fishing is a bit crummy. I can't wait to get to some real fishing. I prefer pond or lake fishing. I despise "combat fishing" for salmon. I'm looking forward to getting a nice big striped bass. A big question I have though is that I have ate salmon strait out of the water from the Kenai Peninsula, does the salmon in Oregon compare? I have to say in regards to the salmon from the Kenai, that was one of the best things I ever ate.

A question I also have, does striped bass taste good, I never had it. Oh yeah, would there be alot of pond fishing around the Beaverton area I could hit up as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I am not a fisher-person, by no means an expert, but my husband likes to fish in the lakes in the Cascades. Otherwise he would fish off the Oregon coast in the ocean. Salmon runs aren't what they used to but then I remember Celilo Falls (inquiring minds can do the math).

A poster on the Roseburg thread offered some great links.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
You can get a lot of info at www.oregonfishingforum.com or www.ifish.net

Certain times of the year some folks catch Striped Bass around the mouth of the Umpqua River, & on the Smith River.

imo, stripers are tasty eating when 1 or 2 pounds, better then large ones. Fillet them & deepfry in batter.... YUM

Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
I agree with Hawk, fishing for "Stripers" on the Umpqua River is pretty good in the tide water area. Fisning off the Oregon coast for Ling Cod is pretty good also. The Rogue River has a pretty good run of salmon every year, a fresh caught salmon beats the hell out of a store bought any day. The runs on the Rogue River will only get better from now on seeings how they have removed the dams. I've been fishing on the Kenai, wouldn't do it again, combat fishing just isn't my style of fishing. I like fishing the Cascade lakes, the more remote the better, if you have to hike into the lake your pretty much assured that there isn't going to be very many people in the area. Just cast in your line, kick back and enjoy what nature has to offer.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
A lot of mountain lakes are stocked with Trout. If you talk to the local US Forest Service office, they'll let you know which lakes have been recently stocked.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
A lot of mountain lakes are stocked with Trout. If you talk to the local US Forest Service office, they'll let you know which lakes have been recently stocked.
Oregon Stocking Schedule is posted online.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Oregon Stocking Schedule is posted online.
Dirty little fisherman's secret, the schedule posted isn't accurate and doesn't includes many less popular lakes.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Searun Cutty, Catch&Release...

Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 PM

21 posts, read 45,074 times
Oh man thats a nice rainbow, I'm drooling.

Thanks for the info too guys! I already guessed about the stocking thing, it's the same up here with it not being accurate.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierInTransit View Post
I'm located in the center of Alaska right now so the fishing is a bit crummy. I can't wait to get to some real fishing. I prefer pond or lake fishing. I despise "combat fishing" for salmon. I'm looking forward to getting a nice big striped bass. A big question I have though is that I have ate salmon strait out of the water from the Kenai Peninsula, does the salmon in Oregon compare? I have to say in regards to the salmon from the Kenai, that was one of the best things I ever ate.

A question I also have, does striped bass taste good, I never had it. Oh yeah, would there be alot of pond fishing around the Beaverton area I could hit up as well?
No. The colder the spawning grounds, the better the salmon, so Oregon salmon really can't compare, though they are nothing at all to be sneezed at, especially the Chinooks (what we would call Kings in Alaska).

In the high lakes, there's a species of landlocked sockeye salmon called Kokonee, and they're quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon