Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,318 times

Advertisements

Other than the facts provided by this site, I would like to know pro's and con's of Hillsboro Or. Is the city generally a good area coming from Georgia and Texas one must stay away or out of some neighborhoods due to crime. Could this also be a potential issue here. I have a background in technology so I have read that Intel is located there anyone know the hiring processes. Any input would be considerably helpful.. Thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,452,458 times
There are no areas of crime, anywhere in Oregon that most people would consider "bad areas." Your worst areas are going to be mostly domestic abuse crimes, drug possession and car prowling related.

Hillsoboro, due to it's location near three Intel Plants, Yahoo, and several other tech companies has a decidedly uniform Middle-Class suburb feel. There are pockets of older neighborhoods, farms on the out skirts of town, a decent downtown district with historic buildings, easy access to public transportation, and the second best public library system in the state. But there are a lot of McMansions to go with that. There is also a higher then normal Hispanic population that is a left over from when Hillsboro was mostly farms.

The Intel hiring process is insane, and almost 100% via recruiters. A lot of scam recruiting companies will recruit you, then connect you to another recruiter who then sends you to Intel. So while employees frequently make good money, contractors (of which there are a lot, something like 40%,) tend to be making much worse wages due to the layers of recruiters. They also have a policy where you can only contract for them for a year before having to leave for six months. Contractors are very rarely hired on full time.

If you're a Fab or semi-Conductor Engineer though, you can pretty much write your own paycheck. If you're just a regular IT person, all IT functions are outsourced, albeit to a fairly competent group of people which as you know is unusual.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,589,410 times
The reason why Intel (and other employers) limit contractors to one year is because after that IRS will rule them employees and fringe benefits are payable. Microsoft got in a heap of trouble some years ago from just that practice. I think there were a number of contractors who kept working for them on that basis in the hope of becoming employees. MS just kept extending their contracts. Ultimately someone sued, MS lost and paid out a HUNK of money and retro stock to a class.

Consider for a moment a contractor who works for an employer for.. oh, three years. After 30 months a member of their family becomes seriously ill and the contractor has no health insurance. That contractor should have been converted to employee status and entitled to sign up for health insurance. The company now must retroactively compensate the contractor/employee not only for the insurance but pay the person for the medical expenses (and maybe providers if some of the cost was written off).

Technical recruiters have a contract with an employer and are paid by the employer. Any technical recruiter who asks the applicant for $ is running a scam. Do not sign any exclusive representation contract with a recruiter. Firms like Intel do not contract with individual technical recruiters, they engage a firm. Find out the name of the recruiting firm and run a Google search on them. Often a technical recruiting firm will represent more than one employer and when appropriate may 'shop a resume around' to try to find a fit. If there is an employer who you do not want to see your resume exercise caution. Executive recruiters are very discrete but technical recruiters may not be so careful.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 11-28-2011 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,383 times
Hillsboro/Beaverton/Aloha are great places to live in. Both my daughters live there. Son in law works for US Bank and daughter is an office manager in a medical office in Portland. My other daughter is finishing Beauty College in Downtown Portland. They have never had any problems. With that being said even in these cities there may be whats called a rougher part of town. They live near TV (tualatin Valley highway) and actual address is Beaverton. Zip is 97006.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,383 times
Intel can be hard to get employed at. They have a website and most people are registered on the site and can opt in if they find a job that suits them. You can also get email alerts if something matches your background and skills to flag you to apply.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Some of the less reputable recruiters for Intel will also double submit candidates if they know they've already been submitted. Intel's processes usually automatically kick that person out. They do this to keep their competitors from filling positions in an attempt to get Intel to go exclusive with them.

While I have no proof they do this, Mindlance is at the forefront of worse of the group.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 PM

What about the medical feild in the Hillsboro area for example an RN would it be easy to find employment how many hospitals. Also looking to do a bit of farming and gardening such as having chickens are there any city restrictions when it comes to animals? Thank you for your input.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,951,379 times
I'm in software and would NOT deal with any recruiters, they are all scammers to me, and nothing but a total waste of time. Anything I ever found was without them. If any of them contact me, I respond with "cease and desist".

Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyone07 View Post
What about the medical feild in the Hillsboro area for example an RN would it be easy to find employment how many hospitals. Also looking to do a bit of farming and gardening such as having chickens are there any city restrictions when it comes to animals? Thank you for your input.
Depends on what city you're in. Chickens are grandfathered in within Portland City Limits. Beaverton just recently allowed them. If you're in unincorporated county areas then you'll be (usually) less limited.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Grandfathered?? I have never heard this term used before. Do you mind explaining it. And the city I am looking into is Hillsboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon