Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 28,988 times

Advertisements

Hello all, Ill be moving to Oregon shortly and will be working on the VA Roseburg campus. My girlfriend, being a cosmetologist, is worried about finding work in Roseburg, as am I..

From our research, which is limited, it appears as though Eugene would be her best bet, seeing as it is a large city close to Roseburg.

Our ideal commute would be 30 minutes or less to both Roseburg VA campus and Eugene. I understand that from Roseburg to Eugene were looking at an hour drive. So, we would ideally like to stay in between with no more than a 30 minute commute for either of us. In fact, I myself would consider a 45 minute commute to Roseburg, but really would like to stay within 30.

We aren't looking for real estate; we want to rent an apartment/house. We have a dog and two cats, also, if that is of importance in finding a location.

Can anyone give us towns to look into that fit this criteria? When it comes to towns that fit this criteria, are any better than others and why? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
There aren't any towns there. Probably the closest you can find to halfway is Drain, and it's off the freeway a ways. Figure 45 minutes each way. That much commuting is going to run about $1200 a month, which would be rent on a nice store front for her in Roseburg. She should open a storefront and do some nail and makeover specials to build a client base.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I agree with Larry. The cure to unemployment is to be your own employer. In OR cosmetologists are rarely employees of a salon, they rent a chair.

The gal who cuts my hair (in Portland) worked in a salon for a while (leased space), built up a following, now works out of a room in her basement. That takes getting a permit from the planning department & passing health inspection but it works for her (she is a mother of teenagers).

If she is a nail gal consider focusing on care & assisted living facilities, home services. It is a huge treat for women who can't get to a salon any more to have their nails done.

The economy has impacted how much women (and men) are able to pay for haircuts. Retiree wallets are likely to be fuller.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:56 PM

13 posts, read 28,988 times
Im curious as to how people get started by buying booths? Im assuming you have to have a decent sized bank account to be able to rent and build clientele until you can bring in a decent amount of money? I just dont understand how people get started with no clientele, how do they build it renting a booth? Does the owner bring clients in, or do you have to advertise yourself? This is all very odd to us...

Ideally she would like to get hired by a salon, be it a chain salon, or a privately owned salon. From the looks of it, this is not likely an option?

We are at the point where we just dont know if we can find her a job out in Oregon. This would mean turning down a Federal job with benefits.. and I do not want to do that.

Ugh.. frustrating, lol.

Thank you all for the info. If anyone has more info on chain salons, or private salons, or anything else that can help wed love to here your input also. Thank you!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:23 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,885 times
Has she tried calling some salons in the Roseburg area to see how it all works? I would imagine that she would build her clientele by taking walk-ins and then booking them for another appointment with her.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
You both will be able to live on your federal salary. One job means survival, so she will have time to find a place. I agree with Laura, your girlfriend needs to get on the phone and use a few cellular hours talking to people about how things work. In a small town, beautician work is all about personal relationships. I don't know of any beauty factories in Roseburg, or Eugene for that matter. My wife drives to Eugene once a month to get her hair done, my mother has had hers done by the same woman every Friday for 20 years.

Beauticians get pregnant, retire or go on vacation all the time, and need more help. It's unlikely your girlfriend will pull down a salary, but she might get to keep a big hunk of her earnings. All she can do is ask around.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
In Oregon, i've noticed many folks have a small business out of their home, or are mobile (they go to the home of the customer to provide their service). They put up ads on bulletin Boards, at the Church, Post Office, general store, gas station, auto garage, restaurant, library,etc,etc. They build up a good reputation by word of mouth from satisfied customers. They advertise in the Nickel Paper, Craigslist, local paper, etc.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
The cure for unemployment is to find something that needs doing that people ae willing to pay for, and do it.

Around here salons rent stations. Operators sometimes share answering the phone and are obviously independent business operations, other times they hire a receptionist who also sells products/signs out inventory/handles the carge card machine. The best way to evaluate the salons is to knock on doors and find out. Yes you can call around but frankly few salon owners will share a lot to an unknown person over the phone.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Your girlfriend may be able to get work at SuperCuts in OR Yellow Pages by SuperPages

http://www.supercuts.com/

Old 12-10-2011, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 11,683 times
She can find a job. Use Yelp.com or something of the likes to find popular salons in the area (A Classic Touch). There is also Sutherlin to consider. Living in Drain (or somewhere in the middle) is outrageous for gas! It's a 50 minute drive from Roseburg, but there is Cottage Grove to consider as well. You are driving to go to the grocery store, gas station, Dr., anything really.

$1,200 a month was a good estimation for gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon