Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,089 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to Portland in the beginning of January, and I am driving from Indianapolis. I've looked at routes on google maps, but I am worried about driving across country (mountains) in the middle the winter. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any advice the best way to get to Portland or at least what roads should be avoided.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 AM

247 posts, read 744,907 times
Take 70 to Denver, then jog up to Wyoming on 25, then 80 to Salt Lake and then up 84 to Portland.

Over plan your trip. Give yourself 3-4 more days than you think you might need in case you run into a big snow storm. Also, throw a serious sleeping bag (0˚ rated) into the car with lots of food, water and warm clothing. It's a cliché but you really can never be too prepared.

Best of luck and safe travels.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
You could put your car on one of those auto transporters and fly! You will miss a lot of magnificent scenery but you will delegate the white knuckle transportation.

Alternately swing south, way south, and drive I-5 from LA. Your only potentially troublesome section will be the Siskiyou pass which is avoidable if you drive Hgy 101 along the coast from San Francisco.

After taking a lengthy road trip this fall I can't recommend a Garmin highly enough, not so much for the directions (which were great) but for the find a hotel feature, complete with phone #s so you can check for room availability. During winter stay on the interstates or highways. DO NOT take short cuts.

The advise to take survival gear is serious. Stranded for days is rare but a real risk. There are sections of highway in Wyo with no cell service.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 11,089 times
Thank you both for your advice. I've been so busy packing my car full of books, I've almost forgotten about packing my camping gear in my car (as opposed to shipping it). I'll look into the driving suggestions, thanks again.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,517 times
Well, I moved from Cleveland to here in June, and took I-90/I-94 across. You do NOT want to do that route. Also, do NOT use I-70 west of Denver - if there's a snowstorm, you could be stuck for a lonnnnngggg time.

Anyhow, Wolfboy's recommendation is the best idea on a route over the Rockies (there's a reason the settlers used South Pass in Wyoming (I-80), albeit not usually in winter) without diving all the way down to I-40. And it includes even better wisdom. Definitely allow yourself extra days.

PS: It wouldn't hurt to buy a pair of snow chains for your car. If you buy them at a name brand store, you can return them if you don't use them & decide you don't want them after getting here (although if you ever go to Hood in winter, they might be worth keeping).

Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You could put your car on one of those auto transporters and fly! You will miss a lot of magnificent scenery but you will delegate the white knuckle transportation.

Alternately swing south, way south, and drive I-5 from LA. Your only potentially troublesome section will be the Siskiyou pass which is avoidable if you drive Hgy 101 along the coast from San Francisco.

After taking a lengthy road trip this fall I can't recommend a Garmin highly enough, not so much for the directions (which were great) but for the find a hotel feature, complete with phone #s so you can check for room availability. During winter stay on the interstates or highways. DO NOT take short cuts.

The advise to take survival gear is serious. Stranded for days is rare but a real risk. There are sections of highway in Wyo with no cell service.

There was a good reason people traveling to the West Coast in the pre-Interstate days took the mother road US 66 particularly in the winter. In todays time take I 55 to I 44 then in OK City get on I 40 West. and ride it to the I 15 merge just west of LA . Then as mentioned I 5 North. The weather is quite nice in the desert SW in winter. I wouldn't recommend this route in summer.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
The o.p. is in Indianapolis and want to come to Oregon. Taking 70 south and west adds needless fuel expenses when one is driving a heavily loaded car. As Nell points out, the only sure way to avoid weather is to go clear to the coast and take 101 north. I have to think that the additional expense of all those miles will pay for a transporter. Drive direct: 80 to 84 and done! Or don't do it. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I take the odd risk now and then but not with mother nature.

H

Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The o.p. is in Indianapolis and want to come to Oregon. Taking 70 south and west adds needless fuel expenses when one is driving a heavily loaded car. As Nell points out, the only sure way to avoid weather is to go clear to the coast and take 101 north. I have to think that the additional expense of all those miles will pay for a transporter. Drive direct: 80 to 84 and done! Or don't do it. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I take the odd risk now and then but not with mother nature.

H
IDK, the difference is minimal (one hour and perhaps about 70 miles). If the forecast is good between Indy & Denver, then going north via I-74 to I-80 and across to (almost) SLC is a preferred route, but if it's questionable, I'd stay south to Denver then go up to I-80.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
IDK, the difference is minimal (one hour and perhaps about 70 miles). If the forecast is good between Indy & Denver, then going north via I-74 to I-80 and across to (almost) SLC is a preferred route, but if it's questionable, I'd stay south to Denver then go up to I-80.
But what after that... back on 80 and back in the snowbelt. Not worth it unless you stay south all the way to California and make your way up 101.

H

Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
But what after that... back on 80 and back in the snowbelt. Not worth it unless you stay south all the way to California and make your way up 101.

H
The far south route is extremely out of the way - at least I-70 to Denver isn't terribly far out of the way & takes a little risk out of it.

If the poster has to make the move in January, she/he's either going to take a big gamble, a moderate gamble, or litle gamble/very long route. Even an airplane might have issues w/winter weather in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon