Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,276 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Okay, so I'm in a bit of a bind right now and I'm not quite sure what to do. I moved to Oregon from Florida (where I lived for about 6 months) August of 2010. Before Florida, I lived in California. I'm a motocross racer, so I moved around a lot for training.

Anyway, I have a Cali driver's license. I went to take the Oregon written test since apparently I have to pay not only an extra $70, but take the written test...which, is a bit ridiculous. That aside, I failed the written test. I had NEVER taken a written test that was so difficult! I studied a lot, but it just seemed really challenging.

My Cali license doesn't expire until 2014...so is there really a reason for me to switch over? I do drive mine and my fiancee's car, but it's not like I don't have a valid license. I'm just wondering whether I should just wait to switch or figure out how to fork out the cash for something that I shouldn't need to pay this much for.

Thanks all

Old 12-27-2011, 04:44 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
I do believe that you have to change your license if you are in the state for more than 6 months. I would just keep reading the booklet and take the test again. A little tip is to read through the entire book just before taking the test. This is what I did and I passed.

[SIZE=3]803.200 Residency; criteria; exception; camper on vehicle. This section establishes when the exemptions under ORS 803.030 and 803.305 from titling and registration of vehicles owned by nonresidents are applicable. The applicability of the described exemptions for nonresident owners of vehicles is subject to all of the following:[/SIZE]
(1) A person is a resident of this state for purposes of titling and registering vehicles if the person engages in any gainful employment in this state or takes any action to indicate the acquiring of residence in this state during the period of sojourn in this state by doing any of the following:
(a) Remaining in this state for a consecutive period of six months or more regardless of the domicile of the person.
(b) Placing children in a public school without payment of nonresident tuition fees.
(c) Making a declaration to be a resident of this state for the purpose of obtaining, at resident rates, a state license or tuition fees at an educational institution maintained by public funds.
(d) Maintaining a main office, branch office or warehouse facilities in this state and operating motor vehicles in this state.
(e) Operating motor vehicles in intrastate transportation for compensation or profit for other than seasonal agricultural work.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, private passenger motor vehicle owners who are bona fide residents of states adjoining this state shall be permitted to operate their vehicles in this state for so long as such motor vehicles remain currently registered and titled in an adjoining state.
(3) A camper on a motor vehicle described in this section shall be subject to registration or titling under the vehicle code at the same time that such motor vehicle becomes subject to registration and titling under this section.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, a person who is gainfully employed in this state shall not be considered a resident of the state if the person has taken no other steps to become a resident. This subsection applies, but is not limited, to a student at an educational institution who is paying nonresident tuition rates. [1983 c.338 §198; 1993 c.751 §87]

Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,276 times
It's not only that, but it's the money as well. Simply put I can't afford to switch my license over without sacrificing some of my bills. Bills are a bit more important.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificGirl View Post
It's not only that, but it's the money as well. Simply put I can't afford to switch my license over without sacrificing some of my bills. Bills are a bit more important.
The potential ticket you'll get from the Police if they end up pulling you over and finding out that you failed to update your license is going to be worse then the cost of getting the license in the first place.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
How long do you plan to stay in OR?
If you move a lot and have a valid CA license until 2014. Why worry about it - you may move again and have to spend more $. Just don't admit you live in OR.

Did you change tags on car to OR?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificGirl View Post
Hey everyone!

Okay, so I'm in a bit of a bind right now and I'm not quite sure what to do. I moved to Oregon from Florida (where I lived for about 6 months) August of 2010. Before Florida, I lived in California. I'm a motocross racer, so I moved around a lot for training.

Anyway, I have a Cali driver's license. I went to take the Oregon written test since apparently I have to pay not only an extra $70, but take the written test...which, is a bit ridiculous. That aside, I failed the written test. I had NEVER taken a written test that was so difficult! I studied a lot, but it just seemed really challenging.

My Cali license doesn't expire until 2014...so is there really a reason for me to switch over? I do drive mine and my fiancee's car, but it's not like I don't have a valid license. I'm just wondering whether I should just wait to switch or figure out how to fork out the cash for something that I shouldn't need to pay this much for.

Thanks all
I know this might sound like kind of a radical idea, but why don't you just study for it?

First study the hell out of the Oregon Drivers Manual.

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/37.pdf

Second, after you are sure you understand the material, take these practice tests. You need 80% to pass. If you can pass the practice tests, you should be good to take the real test.

Oregon DMV Knowledge Tests

If I understand the fees correctly. The fee to take the knowledge test is $5, and the license fee is $60. I agree that those fees do seem a little steep, but I can't see how that could be cost prohibitive to your getting an OR drivers license. If you can't afford that, how are you going to afford gas for your car?

As for the OR drivers test. I've never had an OR drivers license. But just for the hell of it, I just took those two practice tests. I just squeaked by with an 80% on each one. Since I consider myself to be a reasonably knowledgeable driver. That tells me that 1. The OR drivers test is a bit more intensive, and probably harder to pass then most other states. 2. That if I moved to OR, I would probably have to study the Oregon drivers manual and make myself familiar with OR driving regulations. Before taking the test.

As for your difficulties in passing the test, You should probably ask yourself. Why can millions of OR drivers pass the test, yet you are having difficulties with it. I'd suggest that it's probably, because you haven't studied enough. Just saying.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM

247 posts, read 745,165 times
Yes, bill are important but you can get a ticket and fine if you've been here longer than 6 months and run across an unfriendly police officer. I just got my license and yes, they are expensive but also good for 8 years. And getting tags for your vehicle is a whole lot cheaper here than Florida or California.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
They don't have a lot of pitty here in Oregon. You get stopped it is going to take most of your bill money just to keep your license.

Having had California, Arizona, Michigan, and Indiana licenses, I can tell you Oregon was the easiest. In Fact I have scored 100% on Driving, School Bus, and Motorcycle and I am no brain.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 AM

247 posts, read 745,165 times
Well. there are some tricky minor differences that reading the book fully right before the test will help with, like no u-turns throughout the entire state. That was a new one to me and I was glad saw that. There are also some other small things. But you have to miss, what, 5 or 6 questions to fail right?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
Taking the Oegon drivers exam is a bit tricky, beware of gotcha questions, these question are put in the exam to make sure you understand the rules of the road. Like what WoldBoy posted about U-turns, they are prohibited state wide at intersections unless posted that U-turns are allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon