Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 PM

85 posts, read 260,753 times

Advertisements

All:

Under Oregon law, fog/auxiliary lights must be turned off whenever there is another vehicle within 350' or coming the other way & within 500'. In addition, they should be turned off during normal conditions and never used in lieu of headlights. Failure to comply with this law can result in a $287 fine.

Yet many drivers seem to be unaware of this.

Driving with fog/auxiliary lights on not only distracts other drivers, but also focuses the drivers attention right off the hood- instead of scanning 2-3 blocks ahead, per the Oregon drivers manual.

Please turn off your fog/auxiliary lights in Oregon.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Untill the law is enforced they will keep wiring them into the headlights.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM

85 posts, read 260,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Untill the law is enforced they will keep wiring them into the headlights.
They are supposed to shut off when you turn the brights on. That said, I know of a couple of models which have their fogs as DRLs, which is technically illegal. Most have a switch with the fog light symbol.

I have seen people pulled over just for having their fogs on!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 AM

780 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Too bad they can't ban those horribly bright, bluish lights. Oh my heavens, those are blinding!

Speaking of blinding, I was driving south down I-205 from Vancouver the other evening and was temporarily blinded by the MAX's top headlight pointed right at me. Jeesh...I know they are necessary for them to see ahead on the tracks, but wow those things are bright!! I'm surprised someone hasn't wrecked yet from those shining right at them on 205.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
With respect to fog/driving lights, it's not so much that they're bright it's that many/most aren't aimed properly.
As for headlights with a blue hue, in most states they are illegal and can/will get you a ticket. HID headlights which are standard on more and more cars and can be retrofitted rather inexpensively now as well and are very bright but will only have a blue hue or full blue color if the bulb has been changed to attain that color.
Also some of the new "Silverstar" type replacement bulbs have a blue tint, not because it makes them any brighter but because it sells.
I just went through the HID retro thing and it's all about color temp which goes from yellow to pure white to really blue depending on what color # you buy.
Personally I'm happy with pure white.
The bottom line? I'd bet most headlights that annoy people are simply out of adjustment, especially on lifted vehicles as few think of that when they put on bigger tires or lift.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Big lifted trucks are my personal peeve - I see so many of them that have been lifted, including bumper height. Lifting the bumper height turns the bumpers from safety devices into battering rams. I see too many of them on the road to believe that police bother to ticket them.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 39,721 times
Interesting new rule being applied to interact with drivers. I was stopped last night in Tigard, by Tigard police for having my factory installed fog lights, I drive a small economy car, it was very foggy, late at night, with no other traffic in any direction and I was stopped for no other reason. I am getting of mature age and the fog lights assist in seeing white and yellow line and on unlit roads, they help to see walkers and bikers on the side of the road.The officer wanted to "provide education on the new law" as he stated but the next words out of his mouth were "have you been drinking tonight"? As I had not been drinking and he had not other reason stop my vehicle it appears this was a unneeded traffic stop. I left with a warning about the fog lights.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
With respect to fog/driving lights, it's not so much that they're bright it's that many/most aren't aimed properly.
As for headlights with a blue hue, in most states they are illegal and can/will get you a ticket. HID headlights which are standard on more and more cars and can be retrofitted rather inexpensively now as well and are very bright but will only have a blue hue or full blue color if the bulb has been changed to attain that color.
Also some of the new "Silverstar" type replacement bulbs have a blue tint, not because it makes them any brighter but because it sells.
I just went through the HID retro thing and it's all about color temp which goes from yellow to pure white to really blue depending on what color # you buy.
Personally I'm happy with pure white.
The bottom line? I'd bet most headlights that annoy people are simply out of adjustment, especially on lifted vehicles as few think of that when they put on bigger tires or lift.
I found this regarding fog light color on the DMV website. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). Rules prohibit other colors such as blue.

Communications Use fog lights correctly and safely

Regarding headlight rules: 816.050 (3) Headlights shall show a white light
described in Standard Number 108 of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/docs/vcb/vcb816.pdf

Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 39,721 times
Excerpts from;

Oregon Drivers Manual 2014 to 2015

It also is illegal to have auxiliary lights, such as driving or fog lights, in
excess of 300 candlepower, on at times when you are required to dim your
headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers
to see.

Dimming Headlights
When your vehicle’s high beam headlights are on, you must dim or
lower the beam when an oncoming vehicle is within 500 feet. You also
must turn off any auxiliary lights.

Fog Lights
A vehicle may be equipped with fog lights. The lights may be white or
amber and the beam must strike the road not more than 75 feet ahead of
the vehicle on which it is mounted. These lights are to be used in the same
manner as high beam headlights, unless they are less than 300 candlepower.

My Research results

"300 candlepower" can accurately be read as "300 candela", and it is a common stand-in figure to separate signal lights (turn signals and such) from illumination lamps (headlamps, fog lamps, "driving" lamps, "passing" lamps, etc.). Any fog lamp that is certified to the SAE specification or type-approved to the ECE specification will comply with the "not more than 300 candela above horizontal" requirements.

My fog lights are 27 watts (H27W) and my low beam lights are 55 watts, (½ the wattage as low beams) and they are horizontally directed lower than the factory horizontally directed low beam lights.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSSteffa View Post
Excerpts from;

Oregon Drivers Manual 2014 to 2015

It also is illegal to have auxiliary lights, such as driving or fog lights, in
excess of 300 candlepower, on at times when you are required to dim your
headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers
to see.

Dimming Headlights
When your vehicle’s high beam headlights are on, you must dim or
lower the beam when an oncoming vehicle is within 500 feet. You also
must turn off any auxiliary lights.

Fog Lights
A vehicle may be equipped with fog lights. The lights may be white or
amber and the beam must strike the road not more than 75 feet ahead of
the vehicle on which it is mounted. These lights are to be used in the same
manner as high beam headlights, unless they are less than 300 candlepower.

My Research results

"300 candlepower" can accurately be read as "300 candela", and it is a common stand-in figure to separate signal lights (turn signals and such) from illumination lamps (headlamps, fog lamps, "driving" lamps, "passing" lamps, etc.). Any fog lamp that is certified to the SAE specification or type-approved to the ECE specification will comply with the "not more than 300 candela above horizontal" requirements.

My fog lights are 27 watts (H27W) and my low beam lights are 55 watts, (½ the wattage as low beams) and they are horizontally directed lower than the factory horizontally directed low beam lights.

Great post. Also those aftermarket white lights are illegal at all times in Oregon as they are not DOT approved for on highway use. Now if the Gendarmes would just enforce the laws we have on the books instead of creating new volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: