Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 01:23 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechon View Post
Thinking of moving to K-Falls at the end of this year. Thanks for all the info posted here.
Keep in my mind that this thread covers 13 years - when it started the area was booming, then came a steep economic downturn and then a partial recovery. Many of the posts dealt with conditions at the time of the post, and things may or may not have changed since then.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 7,393 times
Hello all,

It appears the last post on this topic was three years ago. I was wondering if anybody could give some insight on how Klamath Falls is doing nowadays in 2022?

My husband and I are searching for a place to move to in the west. Originally from Alaska and enjoy the outdoors, we moved to Indianapolis in 2015 We long to be back on the west coast and have considered Klamath Falls a few times over the years.

We enjoy hiking, camping, mountains and being out in nature, something we don't have an abundance of here in central Indiana. One thing Indianapolis has that Klamath Falls will fall short on is walkability. But it appears you guys have a nice bike trail along the canal which is appealing. Walkability is important for us. We strive to do a lot of errands on foot and believe if we landed a house close to downtown Klamath Falls we'd be content.

We drove through Klamath Falls in May of 2018 and weren't incredibly impressed but the housing market is more appealing than, say, our other considerations (Grand Junction, CO or St. George, UT).

How is the job market in Klamath Falls? What do the job opportunities look like? I have a background in medical (EMT since 2017) and blood banks. It looks like your Red Cross is permanently closed and you have no plasma centers so I'd have to look at primary care centers or the hospital.

We don't care much about night life but we do love food and trying new restaurants. It would be an adjustment coming from a large city.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Old 02-10-2022, 07:16 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,746,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlevey View Post
Hello all,

It appears the last post on this topic was three years ago. I was wondering if anybody could give some insight on how Klamath Falls is doing nowadays in 2022?

My husband and I are searching for a place to move to in the west. Originally from Alaska and enjoy the outdoors, we moved to Indianapolis in 2015 We long to be back on the west coast and have considered Klamath Falls a few times over the years.

We enjoy hiking, camping, mountains and being out in nature, something we don't have an abundance of here in central Indiana. One thing Indianapolis has that Klamath Falls will fall short on is walkability. But it appears you guys have a nice bike trail along the canal which is appealing. Walkability is important for us. We strive to do a lot of errands on foot and believe if we landed a house close to downtown Klamath Falls we'd be content.

We drove through Klamath Falls in May of 2018 and weren't incredibly impressed but the housing market is more appealing than, say, our other considerations (Grand Junction, CO or St. George, UT).

How is the job market in Klamath Falls? What do the job opportunities look like? I have a background in medical (EMT since 2017) and blood banks. It looks like your Red Cross is permanently closed and you have no plasma centers so I'd have to look at primary care centers or the hospital.

We don't care much about night life but we do love food and trying new restaurants. It would be an adjustment coming from a large city.

Any feedback is much appreciated!
Honestly, I could think of 20 other cities in the Pacific Northwest that I would rank well ahead of Klamath Falls for someone coming from out of state who just wants a nice place to settle and work. I assume you are looking for cities on the dry side of the Cascades so I'll limit discussion to that side.

Bend might be unaffordable, but there are outlying cities like Redmond, Prineville, and Madras that will be close enough to Bend to hop in for evenings out, dining, shopping, etc. or potentially even commuting.

Hood River and the Dalles along the Columbia River Gorge (Hood River is nicer but more expensive)

Baker City and La Grande are in north Central OR and pretty isolated but decent places and a bit smaller than Klamath Falls.

In Washington, Wenatchee, Walla Walla, Tri Cities, and Spokane area are all much nicer. If Spokane is too big there are various smaller towns within the Spokane orbit that will be close enough for occasional shopping and dining.

If I had to pick a city that was similarly situated and similar size to Klamath Falls, with similar outdoor recreation opportunities, but MUCH nicer as a city, I'd pick Walla Walla, WA. It will check off your walkability criteria much better than Klamath Falls as well: https://youtu.be/qHJsW0dV3Lo

Old 10-20-2023, 11:22 PM

992 posts, read 544,819 times
I'm waking this thread up to see if anyone knows why houses are so much cheaper in Klamath Falls than in Medford/Ashland? I've looked on realtor.com extensively and I'm estimating that on average homes are about $100k cheaper in the Klamath Falls area. Thank you.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:05 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,746,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I'm waking this thread up to see if anyone knows why houses are so much cheaper in Klamath Falls than in Medford/Ashland? I've looked on realtor.com extensively and I'm estimating that on average homes are about $100k cheaper in the Klamath Falls area. Thank you.
Because it isn't a very attractive place to live for a whole lot of reasons.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:58 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Because the Californians take their house money and move to Medford or Ashland. You won't find many of them in Klamath Falls pushing up the prices.

Klamath Falls is more rural, it's a logging/ farming area. I consider it a good choice if you want a quiet life. There is plenty of shopping and outdoor activities and the weather is better than the weather in Ashland or Medford. It's cooler in the summer, and doesn't have the smog inversions. A bit colder in the winter, but you can always put a coat on.

Housing started out cheaper to begin with. Small inexpensive houses for the loggers and mill workers and those are mostly still there. Not many big fancy houses were built. You can get big and fancy now, but there is still the option oft the little mill shacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon