Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:29 AM

24 posts, read 42,500 times

Advertisements

Hi Steve. I do agree with you, we were limited because of our rather large grumpy old pet (RIP, lost him to cancer right after returning). Since returning, hasn't been a day go by the wife and I discuss our plans to relocate. We have a limit with what fits the budget, its' one of the most difficult parts sbout relocating. We've seen several properties that would make an ideal place to shelter down in through retirement years, while keeping a realistic budget. Auto insurence quotes have come back reasonable in the area. Sometime ago read up on how property tax is calculated. Couldn't understand why in realestate listings tax paid on one property varied between another like property until an agent said tax is based on accessed value and not sale price as in California. Will admit to being at a loss when researching cost of living outside the box of California. Being a native, growing up and now 58 never considered living elsewhere would be so different than in a State where billion dollar bullet trains and multi billion dollar State bonds for infastructure upgrades are becoming the norm, along with the reality the cost won't even be brought into balance once our great great grand kids are near retirement. What I saw in Florence, and Oregon in general is tax money goes to improving access for citizens to maintain a better quality of life. It's not quite like that here. Thoughtful relocating, a sucessful move, involves much much more than loading up a bit Ryder moving van Sure will make that first cup of coffee after the move enjoyable, sitting out on an overcast morning in Florence's location right next to the ocean shore Not sure if there are any points in the text, just everyday thoughts about retirement and thoughts of the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,357,638 times
I turn 67 Wednesday and spent a good part of my life on the coast as a resident or visitor from 1947 on. You will like it. We only moved to the Valley when my wife retired because we had pretty much done all the coastal thing we wanted to do. With family and property there we still visit often, but the mid Valley is our retirement choice. If you get to Dallas (15 miles from Salem) coffee is on me.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 13,171 times
Hi, Rustynutt,

I really enjoyed your original and follow-up posts and believe my husband and I share some of the same thoughts regarding relocation. It was SO refreshing to see a state where the streets were paved and the lights were on, and we agree that the people in Florence were friendly. As well, the area seems attractive for retirees. So sorry, though to learn that you lost your canine just after your trip; that's a tough one. I have a 17-year-old male and a 10-year-old female cat (both beloved family members, of course), so I plan to check out vet services during our next trip.

Thanks, too, for your information on your manufactured housing contact. We also have budget restraints and zero background in this industry, so that was most helpful. What I'm getting from reading posts and talking with people is that it's helpful to find a property with trees around but not hanging over decks and roofs as they hasten rot and sometimes lose limbs that damage the homes. Exposure to wind/air and sun help combat some mold, and "lifetime" materials are recommended instead of the wood siding and shingles so common in California.

Steve, who commented on your post as well, lives in another area we explored. Dallas is near Salem, and which offers close proximity to Portland's big-city amenities, including hospitals. In light traffic, I think it's about 45 minutes to an hour south of Wilsonville, which I think is at the southern end of Portland's great transit system. One thing we think about as we get older and older is the reality of not driving at some point. In fact, I'm hoping to discover a "shopping shuttle" from Florence to Eugene and/or Coos Bay. (With your DOD and two-cycle engine background, maybe you could round up some surplus materials and we could cobble together an elk-proof transit option for osteoporotic travelers. My husband is a retired mechanic--could be fun!)

We hope to get up in December or January to experience the rainy season, too, since it appears we may not be destined to have one here in California. Thank you again for your detailed message (and Steve, too, for ongoing comments). Relocation could be great fun!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
For any serious health issues I recommend Eugene's hospitals. Florence's hospital is doubtless good but if you are in need of serious repairs go to a hospital where the surgeon does a lot of what you need. Basically Eugene or Portland. And then don't rush home until your incision has healed.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM

Thanks, Nell!

I saw that a new hospital just opened in the Eugene/Springfield area, and I heard the same sentiments from people in Florence. I'm just fine (a little crazy, maybe, but physically OK) and am more worried about my husband. We've looked in a few places that don't have any hospital, so I was cheered by finding one in Florence.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,357,638 times
Both Florence and Coos Bay have Hospitals adequate for the retired among us, but yes, plan on major surgeries in Eugene, Salem, or Portland. Eugene or Salem preferred.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 PM

Thank you, Steve! (Actually, I prefer to AVOID hospitals and major surgeries, but I get what you're saying...)

Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
Salem hospitals are not comparable to those in Portland, or IMHO Eugene's. What you really want to do is research the physicians who have the skills you need, then look at the hospitals where they practice.

I am a retiree and in robust health... until a routine exam found cancer, then I needed surgery and subsequently a complete remodel of my lower 48. St. V's, then OHSU. The first surgery could have been performed in Eugene, OHSU offered the best in the west for the second.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 AM

Thank you for the input, Nell; I agree with your approach. I am glad your surgeries are behind you and equally glad you are participating in the forum. I've appreciated your comments.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 AM

24 posts, read 42,500 times
Hi all,

Wanted to say the wife and I are returning to Florence the 21st of March for a week. We intended to return during December last year, this month ended up being the closest to winter we could make it.

Figured I'd use the old thread, it's a good discussion to follow up on, and hopefully some that read it in the past have made the move and have something to say about their adventure.

To back track, we had a great time on our visit. For some months afterwards, there wasn't a nigh went by we were on the real estate sites looking at homes. The reality sunk in it was going to be a long road. We are only about 1/3 way of being able to list our home, the good side, market for our type property is fairly strong here. Think nationwide, even with the wage problem, homes will begin to move later this year due to likely interest rate increases. We're cutting close a time table to actually purchase and make the move to Florence.

So far in our search, several homes have came up that really look to fit what we'd like. Not being able to just run up and sign papers can get us a bit down, this trip is surely going to set fire under our seats!

Just when thinking I had a grasp on the property tax in Oregon, observed in some of the real estate listing of homes, acessed value and tax has been levied every year from around 2010 to 2014. Some increases were in the neighborhood of $400/ month over that period. That's a scary situation to be in. Have seen information it's not so bad on homes built or set up since 1995. This looks like it's going the way it did in Nevada for a couple that had purchased their Tahoe home in the 50's, and were priced out by property tax increases.

Any insight, comments, or that's just the way it is comments would be appreciated. It's not going to stop us, but surely will affect the price range of homes we look at.

Also, our financial situation at present is the best time to qualify for another mortgage. Last visit, one of the property people we talked to was inclined to submit an application at one of the local banks. I'm all for keeping business in the community, but also because of how our finances are set up, thinking of alternate options. Going local does seem the best way to expedite the appraisal and escrow process, assuming that is handled locally, or at least from areas such as Eugene.

The wife and I differe on a few financial options, one thing I've considerd to get into a property before the end of this year is something a manufactured home dealer offered, a small down payment, and balloon payment in 5 years. Within reason, it's something we can cover, which brings up another question.

We need a good financial advisor in the area, one able to answer questions about possible IRA accounts and using them to secure and maintain monthly mortgage payments. Anyone that's looked into this understands the tax implications of pulling a lump sum from an IRA (or other tax deferred account). A structure where it is drawn down monthly, say for a mortgage payment over a specific term would surely benefit out finances. Again, anyone with experience in this sort of move, comments and referrals would be greatly appreciated.

I've some zoning questions, but those might be better asked at the county office while there. One thing I need on property is a large garage. Most of the homes have the typical size, building one afterwards is cost prohibitive. Typical guy thing. So, thinking of purchasing two sea containers, double purpose, to move our "stuff" that way, then to utilize them as a shop, "incognito". Anyone with experience setting up something like this, and how closely regulated it might be? Visioning two units, some distance apart with a cover between the two for something like a carport.

At first, my preference was on the south side of the bridge, on the east Grand street area. That area, with a small manufactured home would end up at the very top of our price range. Recently, have come down to earth and found an area west of the 101, just north of the jetty area. Not much room for a large shop in the area, but several homes do have decent size garages. Wife wants the car inside, I need room for a dozen motocross bikes, a future 1968 Camaro project, and some lite machinery. Easy to see we still have to come to a middle ground

We have a mail subscription to the Siuslaw News, keep up on current events, social happenings and politics Can't wait to visit the theater!

Date's getting close, excited to return, sit by the river and enjoy a nice hot bowl of clam chowder again!

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon