Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 10:32 AM

47 posts, read 255,640 times

Advertisements

We're looking at possibly moving from Pullman, WA, to the Corvallis, OR, area, and looking for thoughts on the school districts around there. Pullman schools are great, and we're looking for something similar in the OSU area.

From everything we've seen, Corvallis has the best schools for our 10-year-old, but are they that much better than the schools in Albany, Philomath, Lebanon, etc.?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 12:05 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
When it comes to public schools in Oregon or anywhere else, demographics is pretty much destiny. All things being equal, mor affluent areas are going to have higher performing schools because the students show up more prepared and the parents are more involved. Doesn't mean the schools in poorer or more diverse areas aren't good, just that they will struggle to keep pace with the more affluent schools on all the ratings metrics which are mostly things like standardized testing and graduation rate.

Corvallis is a more affluent area than Albany with a higher percentage of college educated parents working in higher education and technology compared to Albany which is more blue collar and agricultural and probably (I'm guessing) has a higher immigrant population. So the school ratings will reflect this.

Here is the Niche rating for Corvallis HS. https://k12.niche.com/corvallis-high...s-township-or/ If you scroll down you will find a map showing the Niche ratings for all the schools in the area including the Albany schools and you'll find that on average the Corvallis schools rank somewhat higher although there are good schools in Albany, especially West Albany.

If it were me, I'd definitely live in Corvallis over Albany any day for a dozen different reasons of which the schools are only one.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:09 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsmylie View Post

From everything we've seen, Corvallis has the best schools for our 10-year-old, but are they that much better than the schools in Albany, Philomath, Lebanon, etc.?
The thing with Corvallis schools is the consistency across the schools in terms of quality. Pretty much all of the elementary schools are solid choices so you don't feel the need to have to live in a certain area to get into a certain school. That isn't true for many other cities in Oregon. That is why people think so highly of the schools there. Consistency of quality.

North Albany schools are good and I would have no qualms about having my kids in those schools, personally. I wouldn't live in Lebanon or Philomath, but I'm not a small town person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon