Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 06:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
I used to own an Eskimo and an Eskie mix; they were wonderful dogs and I miss them very much.
They are -- this is my second. He's a year old and quite a ball of energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 06:44 PM

44 posts, read 51,934 times
Default Walking on the Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The thing I like most about Old Town is that it's not just for the tourists. Some out-of-town guests were surprised that we needed reservations on a rainy Monday night in February for the Waterfront, but we got the last table. Everyone there was a local. I was taking glass classes pre-pandemic, but...

I work remote, so I just stay under my rock and get Instacart anymore.

I'm trying to resume walking on the beach, so if you see someone with a standard white American Eskimo, that might be me.
I walk on Heceta Beach enter from the north side of Driftwood Shores. I will definitely look for you!

I have a 15 lb reddish Norwich Terrier, very vocal.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:17 PM

My Eskie is very vocal as well. That's where I usually access the beach in the off-season and am hoping to get back down there at some point after Labor Day when the tourist crowds aren't so big.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:46 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
I bet the coast is insane today, and predicted temps above 90 degrees may be the hottest I have ever seen on the coast. The predicted offshore winds are extreme, and even worse in the Cascades. 30 mph, and I saw one forecast of 50 mph gusts at high elevations. Fire danger is so high that Susan and I are packing bugout bags, even though there are no fires near us.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:07 PM

I stayed under my rock, but I heard tourist activity was huge today. At least the Sweet Creek fire is contained now. They just issued a high wind warning on the emergency response system, but wind activity seems normal here for now.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:53 PM

330 posts, read 428,941 times
sorry, edited this out on second thought.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:45 PM

OK, so I've lived in Florence for years, mostly part-time, and always liked it all right. After being stuck here for a year thanks to the pandemic, I'm ready to leave.

All anyone does here is complain, especially the transplants, usually because whatever amenities they were used to having in California aren't available here. Maybe they should have researched that before moving to a remote community of less than 10,000 people. No, you're not going to have dry cleaners, emergency vets, and other services found in cities in a small town on the Oregon coast.

On the other side of the coin, there's a strong failed timber town vibe among many of the locals that's pretty well chronicled in this book even though its focus is on a different Oregon county. There's a certain amount of friction between the hometown hotshots and the retirees, and both groups do little but complain and gossip. Also, about half the town is afraid of the COVID vax because their heads are stuck down a Q rabbit hole, so I imagine they'll be kicking the virus around among themselves long after the civilized world has resumed normal operations.

The city government is corrupt as well.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-26-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 01:35 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Cons: Wind, Wind, Wind (starts around noon everyday and blows 20-30mph everyday), No Summer (temp rarely reaches 75 and the beaches are always in the 60s with wind, always), Rain, Rain Rain, RVs, RVs, no decent coffee shops, only Freds and Safeway for grocery, no Home Depot or Lowes. Did I mention the wind and RVs(at least 10 parks, sales storage withing 7 miles)? Peace Medical?? Really? Your MD, dentist, eye MD and everything else will be in Eugene a 1hr and 20minute drive on a two lane road providing you are not behind one or more RVs (90+% chance of that happening) or a logging truck. The restaurants are just barely mediocre and the prices are high for where you are.

Pluses: The coast is beautiful

Old 03-16-2021, 08:32 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Cons: Wind, Wind, Wind (starts around noon everyday and blows 20-30mph everyday), No Summer (temp rarely reaches 75 and the beaches are always in the 60s with wind, always), Rain, Rain Rain, RVs, RVs, no decent coffee shops, only Freds and Safeway for grocery, no Home Depot or Lowes. Did I mention the wind and RVs(at least 10 parks, sales storage withing 7 miles)? Peace Medical?? Really? Your MD, dentist, eye MD and everything else will be in Eugene a 1hr and 20minute drive on a two lane road providing you are not behind one or more RVs (90+% chance of that happening) or a logging truck. The restaurants are just barely mediocre and the prices are high for where you are.

Pluses: The coast is beautiful
You make a couple of good points, but also a lot of total BS.

Wind: Check
75 degree summer days? That's a negative?
Rain: 160 days. That leaves 205 dry days. So more nice days then rainy.
Decent coffee shops: What is your idea of a decent coffee shop? Starbucks?
Fred Meyer and Safeway for groceries: Those are not bad options. There are a few more too.
No Home Depot or Lowe's: Copeland Lumber, Pro Lumber Inc, and True Value Hardware work just fine for most people.
Peace Medical: You didn't do very good research. Peace Medical has at least a dozen MDs working there, at least part time. There are also at least three major dental clinics and three major eye clinics, complete with dentists and eye doctors in Florence. So there is no reason for anyone to drive from Florence to Eugene for any of those services.

I'll give you points for noting, wind, RVs, and mediocre restaurants with high prices, but as far as the rest goes, you blew it. I doubt that you have spent that much time in Florence.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:13 PM

There are good restaurants in Florence if you know where to look. You have to get off 101 a bit, though.

You're not going to find Lowes and all that in small towns in rural Oregon. Most people seem fine with the medical and dental services here, but those who need speciality care might want to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon