Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 02:36 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,502,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think you understand how "the news" works. The fires are real, and no matter how badly some kid posting from grandma's basement wants to believe "the news" is exaggerating the situation, the reality is is that the media is providing an accurate portrayal of the situation here, and I'm sure those of us who are actually living through it would agree.
Some of the wildfires are not actually "wild". They start from people doing stupid things and then the scorching temperatures spread the fires. Look how many times Californians start wildfires. Like the gender reveal party that caused it recently and some crazy guy who started a fire back in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 02:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
OMG OP, that disillusionment didn't take long did it? This, after forum members held your hand for months before you finally got your ducks in a row enough to make your move to CA now you can't wait to leave again? The East Coast you were so disdainful of now doesn't look so bad does it? You're dismayed because of something that was predictable about CA and that you could have discovered by yourself? Are people here going to face more months of hand holding all over again for a move to CO? Of course CO is going to have wildfires! So will OR.

LOL, why does this come as no surprise.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:38 PM

248 posts, read 453,279 times
Definition of wildfire
1: a sweeping and destructive conflagration especially in a wilderness or a rural area

Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,033,291 times
What are peoples' thoughts on the Almeda fire?

It happened in a place that wasn't rugged terrain, or wilderness, or difficult for firefighters to access.
It happened in the relatively flat Rogue Valley floor, in a landscape of farms and towns,
easily reached via I-5. Yet the firefighters couldn't stop it before it destroyed much of Talent and Phoenix,
and kept on going toward Medford.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:11 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
My father used to tell me about the Tillamook Burn where the state would grab adult males out of their cars to conscript them to fight the fire. When I was a kid you could get a day out of school to plant trees in the burned area.

Under current conditions a wild fire can start by accident: a passing train puts out a spark from its wheels, the undercarriage of a car catching dry grass are two well known causes.

The fire referenced above evidently started in the vicinity of the BMX park in Ashland. It may have been arson, a body was found nearby yesterday. All of the vegetation is very dry and combustible, if an excellarant was used the fire would have grown very fast. Perhaps a fire started to cover a murder?

Old 09-10-2020, 05:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
What are peoples' thoughts on the Almeda fire?

It happened in a place that wasn't rugged terrain, or wilderness, or difficult for firefighters to access.
It happened in the relatively flat Rogue Valley floor, in a landscape of farms and towns,
easily reached via I-5. Yet the firefighters couldn't stop it before it destroyed much of Talent and Phoenix,
and kept on going toward Medford.
They couldn't stop it because of high, hot winds, extremely dry vegetation, and limited firefighting resources.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:26 PM

13,086 posts, read 7,560,264 times
OP, you may want to throw a resume out to AMZN. It's a long shot, but they may give you some idea what technology they want. You may already be part way there.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
My father used to tell me about the Tillamook Burn where the state would grab adult males out of their cars to conscript them to fight the fire. When I was a kid you could get a day out of school to plant trees in the burned area.

Under current conditions a wild fire can start by accident: a passing train puts out a spark from its wheels, the undercarriage of a car catching dry grass are two well known causes.

The fire referenced above evidently started in the vicinity of the BMX park in Ashland. It may have been arson, a body was found nearby yesterday. All of the vegetation is very dry and combustible, if an excellarant was used the fire would have grown very fast. Perhaps a fire started to cover a murder?
The last two days has been a lot more acreage than the Tillamook burn, but the Burn had more biomass per acre, since the area had generally not been logged. The Burn was also concentrated in one area. In any case, this week has been one for the history books. Nobody younger than 80 has ever seen anything like it in Oregon. Over a quarter of a million acres has burned up the Santiam canyon to Jefferson Park. That is one of Oregon's premier recreation areas.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:28 PM

Wow, 1700hr, 09/10/2020
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9676...g%2F11k8hp49gn
If you reference at Lyons, the burn is ~40 miles to the N, and ~50 miles to the E. That is a lot of wilderness with the old logging roads overgrown.
There's a Big BPA substation near Stayton (Santiam BPA substation) that switches a lot of power to the Valley from Eastern Oregon. There is also a Big 300KV line running down I-5 that also went by our property in Salem. With the Santiam-Marion substations is offline (conjecture), I wonder it the I-5 line has enough capacity. because it also will need to serve the coastal areas. To-the-coast BPA lines may still be of wood, and thru some really isolated mountains.

Good luck Oregon. I miss you.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:41 PM

17:30 hr
https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/09/1...ands-doorstep/

"At least 1,400 square miles of Oregon have burned in wildfires this week, Gov. Kate Brown announced Thursday afternoon.

Winds continued to drive fires into populated areas today, especially in Clackamas County, where the towns of Molalla and Estacada have suffered damage and the cities of Canby and Oregon City are now being told to prepare to evacuate.

That total of damage—900,000 acres scorched in fires raging across the Cascades—is triple the figure the governor released Wednesday. That's in part because state officials have a fuller picture of the damage, and in part because fires continue to grow."

wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon