Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 07:14 AM

927 posts, read 586,516 times

Advertisements

What weather events does it take to close school in your area and how good are they at communication when foul weather is at play? Does your school wait till the last minute or even try to stay open and wind up regretting it with a massive storm afterwards (besides the weather). What's the worst weather communication breakdown your school ever had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 12:40 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
When I lived in OR the weather that resulted in school closures/delayed starts were silver thaws or heavy snowfall. What the specifics were seemed to depend on which school district was involved. Conditions in one district might not trigger a closure, but the same conditions in another district might.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
What weather events does it take to close school in your area and how good are they at communication when foul weather is at play? Does your school wait till the last minute or even try to stay open and wind up regretting it with a massive storm afterwards (besides the weather). What's the worst weather communication breakdown your school ever had?
It was my experience in the Salem district that they waited until the last minute to decide whether school would be open or closed. I don't recall any "communication breakdowns."

Old 01-03-2022, 02:43 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Snow more than a couple of inches. I live in the west hills so Ainsworth, Hillside, Chapman, and West Sylvan have access issues during snow events.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:52 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
It is mainly about driving conditions not snow depth. Freezing rain is actually far worse than snow.

You have to remember that the typical school district has large numbers of student drivers zooming back and forth to HS in cars that may have marginal tires for snow at best, plus hundreds of kids out walking on icy roads. And many school districts also have high elevation rural sections of the district where driving may be way worse than in the lower areas.

The last thing any school district wants to deal with is a human death toll because they decided to keep schools open and HS kids crashed and died getting to school on icy roads with bald tires that they had no business driving on.

I expect many school districts are actually going to to be even more cautious these days because most have virtual or remote teaching options available due to the pandemic that didn't exist prior to 2020. So schools can announce that tomorrow is a "remote-only" day due to weather and treat it as a regular school day since most kids have school-issued Chromebooks and such and can just get their homework and assignments online for the day. That way they can take a weather day without actually taking a weather day and having to add to the school year.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
In Baker City, the weather has to be very bad before school is canceled. Compared to the Willamette Valley, where I used to live, the people and vehicles in Northeast Oregon are better prepared to handle bad winter weather. There is probably also a different mindset.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:59 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
In the Salem-Keizer school district, they are supposed to call it before 5am and then parents get a call/text/email through the system. That system worked in the years my kids were in school. I know they recently had a mishap as they called it much later than they were supposed to and kids were standing waiting for buses, etc. That was pretty bad.

Snow and ice are the reasons they call a cancellation or a delay and it is always about bus/driving safety.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:30 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
In the Salem-Keizer school district, they are supposed to call it before 5am and then parents get a call/text/email through the system. That system worked in the years my kids were in school. I know they recently had a mishap as they called it much later than they were supposed to and kids were standing waiting for buses, etc. That was pretty bad.

Snow and ice are the reasons they call a cancellation or a delay and it is always about bus/driving safety.
I remember that happening here in Coos Bay a couple years ago. The road conditions deteriorated after 5AM. Most of the school busses ended up returning to the garage, before picking up any students. Unfortunately one student being driven to school by their a parent ended up killed in a car crash. It was a mess and they dismissed all student's later that morning.

If they were smart, any accumulation of snow or ice on the roads should be grounds to close the schools. It only happens a few days a year anyway.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:22 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
......If they were smart, any accumulation of snow or ice on the roads should be grounds to close the schools. It only happens a few days a year anyway.

Spoken like someone who lives on the coast where it rarely gets below freezing. You are advocating that the schools east of The Cascades be closed most of December, January, February, March, and parts of November and April.

This is a good illustration of why the progressives in Portland cause so many problems for the rest of the state. They are completely unaware of what their laws do to the rest of the state. If it suits Portland then is is perfect for everyone else and they will pass laws to make it so.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:41 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Spoken like someone who lives on the coast where it rarely gets below freezing. You are advocating that the schools east of The Cascades be closed most of December, January, February, March, and parts of November and April.

This is a good illustration of why the progressives in Portland cause so many problems for the rest of the state. They are completely unaware of what their laws do to the rest of the state. If it suits Portland then is is perfect for everyone else and they will pass laws to make it so.
Yes, I'm talking about the areas I'm familiar with. The good thing about Western Oregon is that you can stay home the few days it snows. That is obviously not an option in the Rocky Mountains or the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon